It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Klonopin??? New here...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-24-2006, 05:08 PM   #1
    Eliza1234
    (female)

Eliza1234 HB User
    Klonopin??? New here...

Hey all... I'm new here and I believe the doc I saw for the first time this morning (for rather infrequent anxiety/panic attacks) is a bit of a quack, but I could not get an appointment for months with anyone else. I realize none of you are doctors... and are my peers -- I read the rules. I just want to know your experiences/opinions.

I am interested in taking a medication for the anxiety only when I feel it coming on... BEFORE it escalates into a panic attack. Sometimes I feel funny for hours before full-blown panic sets in... I do not believe I need to be on something every day, as this only happens perhaps once or twice a month. I can feel myself getting more and more anxious and I start to get what I call "lost in my head"... rapid heartbeat, worrying like crazy that it is going to turn into a panic attack, convinced my heartrate/pulse/temperature are NOT normal....until it does turn into a panic attack because I get myself so worked up..

He prescribed Lexapro and Klonopin. When I told him my concerns about being on a medication all the time, he told me that there is NOTHING you can take on an as-needed basis, that I need to take the Klonopin 2x per day EVERY day. He said it will NOT help if I just take it when I feel I need it... that it needs to build up in my system.

This is my first time with all of this... can you please share your opinions/experiences with Klonopin? My plan at this time is to get a 2nd opinion... but if the Klonopin can help me as-needed I would like to take it. I will not be taking the Lexapro at all until I get a 2nd opinion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2006, 08:05 PM   #2
    tnmomofive
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tnmomofive HB User
    Re: Klonopin??? New here...

well I took kolonopin 2x a day for 2 years but NAH you sure can take it only as needed loads of people do and alot of doctor prescribe it on a as needed basis just as the others like Xanax and Ativan.

Old 06-26-2006, 09:06 AM   #3
    liz49
    Inactive
    (female)

liz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB User

Hey,
    Well, I wouldn't take the daily stuff--what was it?Lexapro? And Klonipin is in and out of your system fairly quickly , it does not "build up" so I guess your doc has not got much experience with benzodiazepenes if he doesn't know that. I'd just take the Klonipin as needed. I've been on it for 10 years on as "as needed" basis, no set schedule, and some days I don't take it at all and some days I take several, depending on the day, the mood, the stress and my situation. It's out of my system within 8 hours or less, it does not "build up" in fact. it is more effective when I don't take it every day. If you are that in tune with your emotional state to be able to predict when a panic attack is coming, then just handle it with the Klonipin and get on with life. You are one of the lucky ones who doens't have the ever-present free floating never ending anxiety. Good luck and try to find a dr who seems to have a better understanding of these kinds of medications!

Last edited by liz49; 06-26-2006 at 09:07 AM.

Old 06-26-2006, 08:48 PM   #4
    hyper79
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hyper79 HB User

i also take klonoplin, prescribed 2xdaily but i take it on a as needed basis, works for me, but im not a dr.

Old 06-26-2006, 09:07 PM   #5
    jayboy557
    Veteran
    (male)

jayboy557 HB User

It's a less addictive drug that xanax but still can be addictive. Like the others said, don't take it unless you need it. I have taken both drugs for anxiety and they both work well. Jason

Old 06-27-2006, 06:27 AM   #6
    Mistyeyze
    (female)

Mistyeyze HB User

Eliza, your doctor is wrong. You certainly can take klonopin on an as needed basis. I'll tell you what, it is scary that there are some really uninformed "doctors" out there!

In fact-- I'll tell you what is even better. Klonopin also comes in a waffer that will disolve on your tongue and work within seconds. That's what I have if I need it. Like you, I did not want to be medicated on a daily basis to prevent panic attacks. With the waffer, if I really feel like one is coming on it will stop it right in it's tracks. It is very effective without me having to medicate myself constantly. Apparantly your doctor doesn't know about this??

Good luck.

Old 06-27-2006, 07:07 AM   #7
    tnmomofive
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tnmomofive HB User

yeah I thought it was odd he didnt know it could be taken on as needed I mean they only last several hours then it wears off.I wouldnt sugesst taking it 2 x a day every single day like I was unless your anxiety is really that bad like almost 24/7 mine was thats why my doctor prescribed it that way plus I took an anti depressant.people have been taking benzo.'s on a as needed basis for yearsssss so yes the doctor is uninformed.

Last edited by tnmomofive; 06-27-2006 at 07:07 AM.

Closed Thread