It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Please... Ativan vs. Klonopin, once and for all

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-28-2006, 06:21 PM   #1
    Eliza1234
    (female)

Eliza1234 HB User
    Please... Ativan vs. Klonopin, once and for all

Ok while I am awaiting an appt. with a 'real' psychiatrist, I visited a doc who doesn't even make eye contact... just throws prescriptions at me. I was in the waiting room before my appt. today and he came out of the office and growled, "I SAID 'Come IN'!!!" Jeez, dude, I didn't even hear you... gimme a break.

Just for background, I have anxiety that escalates to panic attacks perhaps once or twice a month. I am able to feel it coming on and I felt that I just needed something to take as-needed. As some of you know, this doc insists that there is NOTHING that I can take as-needed. He prescribed a combo of daily Lexapro and Klonopin. As I don't feel I need to be on something every day,I took issue with this. He says that to take only the Klonopin (I didn't even fill the Lexapro script) as needed would be useless but that I "can do whatever I want." I also wanted something that would kick in faster and stay in my system for less time than the Klonopin. So I asked him for Ativan, which I've heard good things about. Naturally, he scribbled out a script and gruffly shoo-ed me out the door.

I have not tried the Ativan, I have only taken half of one Klonopin a few days ago. Now I have both... and I'm not sure what to take or what the differences are. This doc is a horrible people-person and he shuns my questions... I asked about the side effects of Ativan and he grunted "sedation". And I said, "Sedation? That's it?" He ignored this this comment. Days earlier when I asked the side effects of Klonopin, he said the same thing. "Sedation." He doesn't even look up... he just works on insurance forms and prescription pads in silence while I sit there. Occasionally he will aske me a question he's asked twice already... doesn't listen to any of my responses.

I really can't stand this guy but I needed something for relief while I wait for an appt. with a good doc. Can any of you give me any advice on Klonopin vs. Ativan and your experiences with either/both drugs?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2006, 06:34 PM   #2
    confused32
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

confused32 HB User
    Re: Please... Ativan vs. Klonopin, once and for all

I have ativan, i took it at first just as needed, then started taking half a pill in the a.m. and half in the p.m. about 2 weeks ago i decided to stop taking it all together i thought some of the symptoms i was having could be related to it. Since i quit i have not noticed the weakness anymore that i was feeling everyday or so. I dont know if it was the ativan or just me. I deal with issues thinking i have a heart problem that they are missing so i would take it if i got worried and it did relax me and definatly helped me sleep great. I couldnt take a whole .5mg or i would be out so thats why i split it in half and that half seemed to work good for me. I refused to take their anti-depressants they tried to give me and just opted for the ativan. I still have it and have almost taken it in the last few weeks cause its been a really stressful few weeks but i havent yet. And for your doctor i would tell him to go to and find a new one. I went to a cardio like that a few months ago, told him how it was and found a different doctor, sounds like he doesnt give a crap about his patients. Try the ativan and see how ya feel on it, i am very scared to take any medicine and i dont ever take anything other than tylenol and i did fine with the ativan, just made me feel really relaxed and kinda sleepy but no bad side effects.

Last edited by msmod; 06-28-2006 at 08:08 PM.

Old 06-29-2006, 05:10 PM   #3
    SRMom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SRMom HB User

I think Klonopin is a different type of antianxiety med than Ativan. I've read it is very long acting so if you want something that lasts for a shorter time, I would go with the Ativan and try to cut your dose in half if it makes you too sleepy.

Old 06-29-2006, 06:04 PM   #4
    Eliza1234
    (female)

Eliza1234 HB User

Thanks everyone!

I hate taking meds so I tend to wait it out as long as I can. I have not yet tried the Ativan, but I will next time my anxiety gets outta control. Will keep you posted!

Last time I had a panic attack was in a movie theater (DaVinci Code... I heard it was good)... a HORRIFIC experience. At least now I have something I can take if that happens again. That was terrifying.

Old 06-29-2006, 06:08 PM   #5
    Guineapig5
    (female)

Guineapig5 HB User

Wow - your doctor sounds like a jerk!

I've tried both Ativan and Klonopin. Ativan works better for me, but doesn't last all day. Klonopin, at an equivilent dose, left me sleepy and depressed. All I can think of is that perhaps your doctor (I use that term loosely!) meant that your body won't adjust to side effects if you don't take it regularly. Ativan doesn't make me sleepy now that I take it fairly often. Perhaps klonopin wouldn't either - I never took it long enough to find out. It works great for a great number of people. I guess you'll have to try both and find out which works best for you. Good luck!

Old 06-29-2006, 06:34 PM   #6
    JAZ87
    (female)

JAZ87 HB User

hey...I've tried both..I take the generic form of Ativan which is "lorazapam"...and I've taken Klonopin. I took the Klonopin for about 3 months then moved and my new doctor insisted on prescribing me Ativan. I think the Ativan works better, I've found that it can make me kind of tired if i'm not used to it...like for instance today I took one and I haven't taken one for weeks (which is really odd for me, ugh another story but couldn't get my rx filled!) so I finally took one today...My doctor prescribes me to take one .5 mg pill three times a day... which i don't always need it that much but it's nice to have when needed. I've found that if you take it often you can't just quit taking it or you feel sick and weird...after awhile you won't feel tired when taking it. Then when you want to stop just start lowering the dosages you take. I like having the activan waaaay better then klonopin...
    dunno if that helped!
    jasmine

Old 06-30-2006, 01:01 PM   #7
    edz61
    (male)

edz61 HB User

One has nothing to do with the other. Generally speaking Ativan and/or Xanax are the type of drugs to be taken on as needed basis and not really long term drugs for daily use. Klonopin is more like a drug to be taken on daily basis to prevent the attacjes while Xanax and Ativan are an immediate relief when you feel there is an attack coming or you just had one. I try not take the drugs on regular basis but if I take anything it would be Xanax or Ativan. Xanax works with 20 minutes and leaves your body within 6 hours while Ativan takes at least an hour for it to work and will stay in your body longer. They are both great drugs.

Last edited by msmod; 06-30-2006 at 01:39 PM.

Old 06-30-2006, 07:07 PM   #8
    Eliza1234
    (female)

Eliza1234 HB User

Thanks so much, all!

This doc just wanted me to be on meds all the time, I think. I'm so glad I can just take the Ativan as needed and just leave the Klonopin alone.

Just having the Ativan is like a Dumbo-feather... does that make sense? Knowing I have it makes me not really anxious. I was more anxious when I was constantly afraid of a panic attack and not being able to do anything to stop it. Now that I have the Ativan, which from what I read is fast-acting, I feel less anxious and panicky.

Thanks for sharing your experiences...it's very reassuring!

Closed Thread