It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Valium??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-03-2006, 06:53 AM   #1
    shane24
    (male)

shane24 HB User
    Valium??

I have severe axiety and panic disorders, and the doctor just recently switched me from Serax which is Oxazepam, to Valium, the question I want to know is about the dosage, because I was taking Oxazepam 15mg 4 times a day which is a total of 60mg a day, and now she put me on Valium 5mg three times a day, is that a similar dose compared between the two of them??. And if anyone knows, what is the difference between the two??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2006, 08:26 AM   #2
    jeffster
    (male)

jeffster HB User
    Re: Valium??

Not sure about the others, but 5mg is a pretty "standard" dose of valium. Valium comes in 2mg, 5mg and 10mg tabs. 5mg 3 times per day is a regular dose, not high, not low.

If it's for anxiety, has your doctor tried you on lorazepam (ativan)? I only ask because I find it much much better for anxiety. Calms me down more, and makes me less drowsy. Also, it only gives you anteriograde amnesia which means you will have memory loss while under the effects of the drug. Valium gives you retrograde amnesia which means you could study for a test, take a valium an hour later, and forget what you studied!

Last edited by jeffster; 07-03-2006 at 08:28 AM.

Old 07-04-2006, 03:40 AM   #3
    shane24
    (male)

shane24 HB User

Hi,
    Thanks for the response, as a matter of fact, the very first drug I tried was Lorazaepam, and for some reason it did nothing for me, I was on 2mg's 3 times a day, I don't know why it didn't work, so my doctor tried Oxazepam, and that worked great, the only thing is I've taken it for the last four years, and I've noticed that it's not working as effectively as it used to, and the doc doesn't want to go up more than 60mg's a day for some reason, although I've read in a book you can go up tp 30mg's 4 times a day which would be 120 mg's a day. I've asked her several times, but she won't give me Xanax (Alprazolam), she says it's too addicting. You think so??. I thought Valium and most benzodiazepines are anyways??. I still have some Oxazepam left, It's probably ok if I take it with the Valium.?? What are your thoughts??Thanks, Shane.

Old 07-04-2006, 03:44 AM   #4
    shane24
    (male)

shane24 HB User

Also does anyone else have any luck taking Oxazepam, which do you think is better, Valium or Serax (Oxazepam) for anxiety and a sedative. Or what seems to work the best for most people. Shane.

Old 07-04-2006, 03:06 PM   #5
    jeffster
    (male)

jeffster HB User

I wouldn't take both "pam"s at the same time unless your doctor has cleared it.

I'm really surprised that much lorazepam didn't work for you. 2mg of lorazepam three times daily is like, mind boggling. After 2mg of lorazepam, I wouldn't care if my house was on fire.

Anyway, as for Xanax being addictive, they all can be addictive but benzos have a bad name. A lot of benzos, especially valium and xanax are given to people going through addiction withdrawal from many drugs, most commonly alcohol. Basically giving an addictive drug to an addict, so obviously statistics will show that it's very addictive even though it really isn't as dangerous as people say (This is the explanation my doctor gave). Besides, I think statistics wise, valium is much more addictive than xanax.

Old 07-05-2006, 04:05 PM   #6
    Ever So Sweet
    (female)

Ever So Sweet HB User

I'll help you break it down a little bit.

.5mg Xanax=5mg Valium
    .5mg Xanax=15mg Oxazepam
    so

5mg of Valium=15mg Oxazepam.

You are pretty close to an equivalent dose. Since you were taking 15mg 4x a day that would be 60mg. You would need 5mg of Valium x 4 to reach an equivalent.. or 20mg of Valium total.

You are about 5mg off, but often doctors slowly titrate upwards.

Edit:

You also have to take into account the fact Valium has a much longer half-life than Oxazepam. Oxazepam has a half-life of anywhere between 3-25 hours; whereas, Valium's range is much bigger, ranging from 30-200 hours.

Last edited by Ever So Sweet; 07-05-2006 at 04:08 PM.

Old 07-07-2006, 11:29 PM   #7
    shane24
    (male)

shane24 HB User

Thanks for the info, I was thinking it was maybe around 20mg's of Valium that equaled 60mg's of serax, for some reason I'm having a tough time with all of them. For some reason it doesn't seem to help me anymore. I have all the anxiety at night, I do take the 3 pills of valium I mentioned a day, I guess I just worded it wrong, but I should say I take the 15mg's at bedtime because I have insomnia as well. When I was on Oxazepam I was taking 60mg's at bedtime as well. They don't even make me feel tired. They used to, but they don't anymore. For some reason I have a hard time being sedated, even in the hospital for certain procedure's. They used something called Versed which is supposed to be in the benzo family, and it didn't even knock me out. I'm not sure if 60mg's of serax, or 20mg's of valium is considered a high dose taken at once. Is there something else better that I don't know of that would work better??. Because so far I've tried Ativan, Oxazepam, Temazepam, Clonazepam, and now Diazepam. Can someone help me out?? thanks.

Closed Thread