It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• can't find doc to prescribe meds i know work for me

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-26-2006, 05:03 PM   #1
    jax21
    (female)

jax21 HB User
    Angry can't find doc to prescribe meds i know work for me

I've had anxiety/panic disorder for 6 years now, have been on lexapro, seizure medication, and now am taking celexa at a dose of 40mg-the highest allotted dose. at one point last year, though, my doc had me up to 60mg-ugh. that sucked- i was a complete vegetable. Anyways, the celexa has had a significant effect on my lifestyle. when I first began it my anxiey and panic attacks were so severe that I had dropped out of college and could not have a job. I was scared to come out of my bedroom for fear of "losing control". now i work and am back in school but I still have a hard time with doing it. sometimes i can't go and just stay in my house all day. the only thing that helps me is klonopin or xanax. And not large doses or anything,
    .5mg of xanax works great and then another .5mg in 6hrs and I have made it through the day. I am well aware of the possibility of dependence since I have heard from every doctor that has repetatively lectured me and hesitantly prescribed it to me. What my problem is, is that I know if I can have the opportunity, the "safe net" if you will, of having that much xanax then I know it would completely change my life and allow me time to feel like a normal person again until everything else I am doing to eliminate my anxiety works. Does anybody else have this problem? For people that are prescribed klonopin or xanax for usage on a daily basis, what did you tell your doctors to get them to prescribe it. At my whits end, Jax21

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2006, 05:48 PM   #2
    bulletinboard25
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

bulletinboard25 HB User
    Re: can't find doc to prescribe meds i know work for me

Are you seeing a psychiatrist?

I'll give you a quick run down of my story:

First- went to a GP (primary care physician) and told him I was having really bad panic/anxiety and I was having trouble going to my college classes. He prescribed Lexapro.. I asked if I could have something to take as needed.. He said he didn't think he was comfortable, but would give me 20 .25mg Xanax. That lasted me 1 year! 1 year! I cut them in 1/4s, 1/8s, whatever I could to conserve them.

Fastfoward to now- I went to a psychiatrist. I didn't ask to be put on Xanax. I met with his psychologist who saw me for an hour... he wrote down his notes, and gave them to the psychiatrist. I met with that psychiatrist and he prescribed me .25mg of Xanax 3x a day initially. After 3 months he put me on .5mg 3x a day, and gives me Ambien CR samples, and other things that help ME. He's an older psychiatrist, and I know that the "younger psychs" have the idea that benzos are the worst thing on this planet and are not wanting to prescribe him.

If you have been to a psychiatrist, my suggestion would be to go to another, because:

My girlfriend went to a psychiatrist (different than mine) that had the anti-benzo mentality. She had actually been prescribed Niravam (basically it's a quick acting form of Alprazoloam, same ingredient in Xanax). When she went to the new psychiatrist he physically TOOK her medication and said she did NOT need them because they were addicting and threw them in the garbage.

Basically, not all doctors have the same mentality on benzodiazepines.

Last edited by bulletinboard25; 07-26-2006 at 05:49 PM.

Old 07-27-2006, 06:32 AM   #3
    CircusSquirrel
    Veteran
    (female)

CircusSquirrel HB User

Basically, you have to find a psychiatrist who knows how well benzos work for anxiety. I've never had a psych not prescribe me benzos, but I have pretty severe anxiety (though I get on with my life quite well most of the time). That said, if you or any close relative have ever had any sort of addiction problem, it will be nearly impossible to get a prescription for benzos as they have addiction potential in people more prone to addiction. If that doesn't apply to you, find another psych, tell him what has worked for you and you'll find one that is accomodating. I wouldn't go to a general practitioner, they tend to be very gun-shy about prescribing long periods of benzos, lest they come up for review or something. I have had one doc some years ago say "I'd like to lower your Xanax dosage" I calmly explained to him that while I was willing to try and lower it, should I have bad effects, I'd really like to go back up on the dosage since it worked so well for me and allowed me to get on with my life. If you are rational, well put together, and go in there looking well put together (but anxious) psychs tend to treat you with respect and allow room for your opinions on meds. But, as stated above, you will come across some here and there who are for some reason, vehemently against one class of drugs or another, and it's pretty much a no-win situation with them, that's when you probably want to move on. It's sort of like when I had a gp who didn't think I should be on cholesterol medication and absolutely refused to prescribe it, even though I'd been on it for two years and had just moved and was going to her for a new checkup. I found another doc. Take care, you'll get this sorted out.

Old 07-27-2006, 09:55 AM   #4
    sweptaway76
    (female)

sweptaway76 HB User

I have the same problem, nobody will give me another RX for Xanax or Klonopin. I {REMOVED} had to beg one of the NP's to give me a prescription for Xanax in Feb. I literally had to cry and have a mini nervous breakdown to get it. I still have that bottle but only have 5 pills left, which I cut in half so 10 more doses. (Over 5 months of the same 30 day supply and they are scared I am going to get dependent on it????? Makes me think doctors are wackjobs) Having the Xanax at hand helps me out alot, even if I do not take it. I have had problems with other meds that have stopped working for my anxiety (Zoloft, Lexapro) and was told to start Lexapro again but it made me feel worse then I actually was so I stopped. Right now, even though I have been feeling really crappy for 6 out of 7 days a week, just having the Xanaxin my purse has helped. I do not know what I am going to do when I do not have anymore. The doctor here suggests that I see a psychiatrist so that they can monitor my meds. I just do not feel the need to go see one. I have been to 2 behavioral therepist that I think have taught me everything that I need to know so what is the point. I guess I have to do what I have to do.

Last edited by msmod; 07-27-2006 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Please read all of the "Sticky" posts at the top of this board as to why edits where made to your post. Ms_Mod

Old 07-27-2006, 03:51 PM   #5
    CircusSquirrel
    Veteran
    (female)

CircusSquirrel HB User

Psychiatrists are really USUALLY much better about prescribing benzos and really any psychiatric medication, just as there are some heavy duty heart meds that practically only cardiologists prescribe. You're MUCH better off going to a psychiatrist for medication and med monitoring. General practitioners usually only give out SSRIs on a regular basis, with some exceptions (very small town, insurance reasons, etc.).

Closed Thread