It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Anyone deal with anxiety related insomnia?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-01-2006, 09:21 AM   #1
    KArast
    (female)

KArast HB User
    Anyone deal with anxiety related insomnia?

I suffer from this from time to time (every few years), but the past month or so has been pretty awful for me. I basically have a fear of not being able to sleep. The anxiety causes more sleeplessness which leads to more anxiety-a viscious cycle. My symptoms of anxiety which occurr after a period of trying to sleep include an all over agitation, uncomfortable tightening feeling in my arms, dry mouth and frequent voiding. It seems when these symptoms set in, no amount of CBT heps me out of this state. Klonapin is helping me sleep but the thought of popping pills with every awakening just leads to more anxiety. I started lexapro 2 weeks ago but it hasn't made a difference in nighttime anxiety. I don't think it's made my insomnia worse. Has anyone suffered through this problem and come up with a solution? I see my doctor today which is probably contributing to more anxiety. It seeems the more I foucs and research on lack of sleep, the worse it gets.

Anyone relate/help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2006, 12:26 PM   #2
    ronniesteers
    (female)

ronniesteers HB User
    Re: Anyone deal with anxiety related insomnia?

I know how you feel. I was taking Xanax every night to sleep but don't want to take it everyday.

Do you exercise? This might help, just do it at least a few hours before bedtime or it could keep you up too. I've also tried melatonin and valerian root. You might want to give these a try. I don't know if either has helped, but they certainly haven't hurt. What about a hot shower or bath before bed? Good luck!

Last edited by ronniesteers; 08-01-2006 at 12:27 PM.

Old 08-01-2006, 02:20 PM   #3
    Guineapig5
    (female)

Guineapig5 HB User

I'd give the lexapro more time - two weeks isn't very long. The only thing that helps me with my periodic serious insomnia is to force my body on a schedule, no matter how awful I feel. Eventually, my body regulates itself. But I HATE it! People who have never suffered from long periods of insomnia can't understand how difficult it is to get back on track. Good luck!

Old 08-01-2006, 02:57 PM   #4
    Sadees
    (female)

Sadees HB User

I have been having insomnia lately, also, due to anxiety. I have taken melatonin in the past (5mg) and it has worked very well. I dont know why it isn't working now. I fall asleep fine, but then wake 2-3 hours later... and get more anxious when I look at the clock and realize I have to be up in just a few hours. I turned my clock around, and that seems to help for a while if you have enough motivation to not look at the time...also someone told me to think to yourself that you only have a an hour or so left to sleep (think to yourself that your alarm is about to go off) and that might help....But, if you have any other tips that you've heard...id be glad to hear them. As I said, I am suffering this now. I am shaky throughout most of the day from it, too and it is affecting my work. Good luck!

Old 08-03-2006, 01:37 AM   #5
    NeedAnswers798
    (female)

NeedAnswers798 HB User

I wish I could let you know how much I feel for you. I have the same thing. If I dont sleep one night, the harder and harder it is for me to sleep the next night. One night I was up 6 days in a row. At that point I begin to hallucinate and experience "shock" feelings. I never really get tired, the more I dont sleep the more awake I get. Granted, I havent experienced anything like that since, but the fear of that happening again, causes sooo much anxiety. Trust me, it is complete hell, not sleeping.

Old 08-04-2006, 10:20 PM   #6
    Maya80
    (female)

Maya80 HB User

I take Effexor and still many nights I twist and turn and I've spoken to my Psychiatrist about it as well as my regular doctor and they told me that Tylenol PM is ok to take, I don't have to get any prescription medicine for it. I just took 2 because it's past midnight, I just got back from my boyfriends house and I'm not sleepy at all even though earlier I was dead tired. Hope this helps..

Old 08-05-2006, 09:44 PM   #7
    GHGore
    (male)

GHGore HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sadees
    I have been having insomnia lately, also, due to anxiety. I have taken melatonin in the past (5mg) and it has worked very well. I dont know why it isn't working now. I fall asleep fine, but then wake 2-3 hours later... and get more anxious when I look at the clock and realize I have to be up in just a few hours. I turned my clock around, and that seems to help for a while if you have enough motivation to not look at the time...also someone told me to think to yourself that you only have a an hour or so left to sleep (think to yourself that your alarm is about to go off) and that might help....But, if you have any other tips that you've heard...id be glad to hear them. As I said, I am suffering this now. I am shaky throughout most of the day from it, too and it is affecting my work. Good luck!
    The Clock... I just had to reply to this thread because it has always been so prevelent in my life.

This is nothing.. NOTHING... more discouraging than knowing you have to get some good quality sleep in, to get into the office at 8:30, than to look at your alarm clock and see you have but 2:13 before you starting hearing that alarm sounding.

Old 08-05-2006, 09:52 PM   #8
    GHGore
    (male)

GHGore HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KArast
    I suffer from this from time to time (every few years), but the past month or so has been pretty awful for me. I basically have a fear of not being able to sleep. The anxiety causes more sleeplessness which leads to more anxiety-a viscious cycle. My symptoms of anxiety which occurr after a period of trying to sleep include an all over agitation, uncomfortable tightening feeling in my arms, dry mouth and frequent voiding. It seems when these symptoms set in, no amount of CBT heps me out of this state. Klonapin is helping me sleep but the thought of popping pills with every awakening just leads to more anxiety. I started lexapro 2 weeks ago but it hasn't made a difference in nighttime anxiety. I don't think it's made my insomnia worse. Has anyone suffered through this problem and come up with a solution? I see my doctor today which is probably contributing to more anxiety. It seeems the more I foucs and research on lack of sleep, the worse it gets.

Anyone relate/help?
    I'm also taking Klonopin for this exact same situation. Still... If I am off work... despite taking meds, I will find myself unable to FORCE my sleep upong myself and will be watching Discovery Times, Military Channel or Discovery until i start seeing light blue in the nights sky. It's an emotional nightmare.

I started out at .25mg Klonopin for sleep but this week was increased to 1MG. We'll see how that goes. I'm also on Zoloft at 100mg/day as of this week. Hopefully my depression/anxiety will be improved by this tweak.

What irks me.. Is my mother, with the same doctor is on Zoloft and Busparone and initially asked to simply mimic what has helped her so much in several years. Even now... We're simply up'ing the Klon for short term, increasing slightly my Zoiloft and we'll see how that works til my 1-week followup on Thursday.

In fact, my Family Doctor is wanting to insist on therapy again (which I have been relased on) now that I have anxiety issues, instead of getting me making progress on Busparone. Sighhhhhhhhhhh

Old 08-05-2006, 09:52 PM   #9
    trg247
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

I have been taking sleep medication for the last four months or else I would never sleep.

trg247
    Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
    Pristiq
    Cymbalta
    Seroquel
    Temazapam

Old 08-06-2006, 06:07 AM   #10
    nandog07
    (female)

nandog07 HB User
    Exclamation Re: Anyone deal with anxiety related insomnia?

Do not take ambien----I am on it for 3 YEARS now and can't get off----whtever you do, stay away from lunesta, ambien etc... this quick fix is not worth it

Old 08-06-2006, 08:15 AM   #11
    Guineapig5
    (female)

Guineapig5 HB User

I think that going drug-free is the answer, but I just can't. I used to be strong enough to suffer sleepless nights to get my body back on a sleep schedule, and it's always worked, but this time around, I've become much too dependant on sleep drugs, especially ambien. It seems so simple - just deal with less sleep for awhile, and you'll be fine, but I cAN'T DO IT! urgggg!

Old 08-06-2006, 12:24 PM   #12
    TooManyVeneers
    (female)

TooManyVeneers HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nandog07
    Do not take ambien----I am on it for 3 YEARS now and can't get off----whtever you do, stay away from lunesta, ambien etc... this quick fix is not worth it
    I have been taking ambian for a month straight and everytime I try to sleep without it, I toss and turn all night and have a terrible next day, or I break down and take the ambian. I'm been having severe anxiety issues so sleeping is impossible without the ambian, but I am afraid I forming a dependancy.

Old 08-06-2006, 01:31 PM   #13
    momma of three
    (female)

momma of three HB User

I know exactly what you mean. I am groggy and have absoutly no motivation all day and evening. Then as soon as night hits and I get my kids to bed I am either wide awake or if I am still groggy I litteraly lay in bed and toss and turn until at least 5:30 am every single morning. Even though I know my kids will be up in a couple of hours. I have to be up with them because they are only one, three and five. I have tried tylenol pm, but one night I fell asleep at midnight and woke up at two and was wide awake until about 6:30 and couldn't stay awake when my kids got up. I don't know what to do. MY mom says I think about it too much, but I'm not thinking about IT. I can lay there and not think about anything, but it doesn't matter. I started on zoloft about six weeks ago, it is helping with my mood, but not my motovation or my sleep. I have been going through this for years, but the time kidn of varies. For the longest time I would just be up until two or three, but now it has been months again of no sleep until the sun comes up. I can't stand it. Please let me know if you find something natural to help and I will do the same.

Good luck to you!

Last edited by momma of three; 08-06-2006 at 01:32 PM.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:15 AM   #14
    KJW32
    (male)

KJW32 HB User

Anxiety and insomnia - what a viscious cycle! I've been taking Xanax for my anxiety. The last time I took a 1mg pill was 36 hours ago as I'm trying to ween myself off of it - now I can't sleep! It's called rebound anxiety and is a nasty little bugger - thank God {REMOVED} I can sleep in tomorrow. My recommendation is to STAY off the meds except on certain nights - benzo's and sleeping pills can be habit forming. The real cure is to find yourself from within - the Bible and books like "The Purpose Driven Life" have helped me - and only take the meds on certain nights before a big day...I've had all the feelings of being "on edge" but realize the best way to fight it off is to do just that - stop fighting. Stop trying - and thinking - so hard. Feel it...and let it go. If one day is hell just get thru it - hopefully sleep - and focus on positive thoughts the next day. We all bring on our own physical symptoms thru thought patterns - the key is to avoid the repetitive thought process. I hope this helps someone out there as I think I'm trying to help myself by writing it...

Last edited by msmod; 08-08-2006 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Please don't post creditials. Ms_Mod

Old 08-08-2006, 02:40 AM   #15
    bynobody
    (male)

bynobody HB User

Hey yeah! Ive been reading the Purpose Driven Life Too!

I dunno what this all is, but I feel better knowing Im not alone.

I guess we should thank God even for our problems...though it is hard sometimes.

Closed Thread