It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• BuSpar

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-20-2006, 03:43 PM   #1
    Wynslett
    (female)

Wynslett HB User
    Question BuSpar

Hi all-

Anyone out here who is or has taken BuSpar? I'm suffering from major anxiety and I tried taking it back in May for about 5 days but stopped. You see I get anxiety over taking something for my anxiety! Does that make sense? I'm scared to try new meds. Prior to taking the BuSpar I was on Prozac for 5 days for depression and it made me spiral downward so quickly you wouldn't beleive it. I have anxiety over everything, I wake up and immediately panic over the day yet to come. I can't make it through a day without a panic attack or a crying spell. My father passed away in April, and life has pretty much stopped for me since then. Anyway, should I try the BuSpar again? My Dr. thinks I didn't give it a good chance to start working. I'm just terrified of side effects from any meds, I always think I'm going to be the 1% who gets the serious side effect. I'm a mess, but I want to take my life back and be me again.

Thanks-
    Beth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2006, 03:59 PM   #2
    PeskyRabbit
    (female)

PeskyRabbit HB User
    Re: BuSpar

Hi,

First of all, I've very sorry about the loss of your father. I lost mine in June. I won't say I know how you feel because everyone grieves differently, but I know how hard it is to lose a parent. Some of what you're experiencing is probably from the grieving process. I know first hand how that can make your anxiety level so much higher. When my father was dying, my anxiety was at an all time high. Not just the anxiety from fear of losing him, but just in general.

I'm the same as you about trying new meds for anything, especially anxiety. I've just recently posted and asked everyone how they can tell the meds are helping and the people that posted gave me some new hope. I live with my anxiety on a daily basis as well and I feel like something has to change. It is sooo scary to start new meds and worry about the side effects, but imagine how great it will feel if they actually start to help us and relieve some of this horrible anxiety we deal with every day. Wouldn't it be great to start living again?

I've never tried BuSpar, but I tried a different SSRI awhile ago and experienced the same set backs as you did. I just wanted you to know that you're not alone in your fear of meds. Maybe talking to your doctor about all your fears and getting some reassurance would help? I'm going to do that this week myself.

Old 08-20-2006, 07:31 PM   #3
    LisaV
    (female)

LisaV HB User

Hi Beth,

After many SSRI's they gave me for my anxiety, all of which had horrible side effects for me, they finally gave me plain old Buspar. It's the mildest, yet most effective drug for my anxiety. It has changed my life. For me, personally, there have been absolutely no side effects...no brain zaps, no weight gain, no mania, no loss of sex drive, etc. I sometimes feel like I am taking nothing at all, but my anxiety is SO much better. I had horrible anxiety symptoms; you name it, I had (have) it. I am up to 50 mg of Buspar a day. Let me assure you, I have been on about 5 different SSRI's; some worked but had bad side-effects, and some did nothing. I felt like a guinea pig. One doctor finally said, "why are you on an anti-depressant for anxiety"? I know this has become acceptable, but with my SSRI experience and problems, he went to Buspar. He said it's been around since the early
    '90's, abut SSRI's are so popular, many docs go with those. Please try the Buspar. Like anything else, it may take 2-3 weeks to kick in. It, for me, didn't do anything bad at all. It's all been good. I started on 10 mg, and then went up gradually, without any side-effects.

You've dealt with so much, and for those of us with anxiety, what you've gone through is huge. Give yourself a break, try the Buspar. I also take Clonopin (1/2 at night, 1/2 in the morning), but I am going to stop those soon. I don't think I need them, but we'll see.

I understand, I do..

Lisa

Old 08-21-2006, 12:29 PM   #4
    JamieJo18
    (female)

JamieJo18 HB User

I took Buspar for about 6 weeks and I couldn't tell a difference at all! I've also been on Zoloft, Lorazepam, and Welbutrin- None of them worked for me. The only thing that I have found that works, is drinking a half a bottle of children's benadryl- it made me sleepy but it calmed me down, took my chest pains away, and I felt like I could breathe!

Old 10-27-2006, 04:06 AM   #5
    Queen318
    (female)

Queen318 HB User

I was just prescribed BuSpar, I am not feeling anything diffrent yet, but anything would be a improvement of how I feel when I am anxious and nervous and having panic attacks. I was on the generic version of Ativan and it spaced me out so much that I had to quit taking it. I hope this works, I am afraid of other medications because of the serious side effects they bring.

good luck
    Shannon

Old 10-27-2006, 11:01 AM   #6
    marian100
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

marian100 HB User

i also have a hard time taking ssri's. i have been on buspar for over 2 years. the first 2 years i was on 30 mg a day. 4 months ago that stopped working and after a month of trying other things, xanax and wellbutrin, prescribed by my gp, i saw the pdoc and he upped the buspar to 60mg. i have never had any side effects except once in awhile a little dizziness after taking it.My doc said it is one of the safest on the liver and it is not addictive. i now sleep 8 hours a night instead of 4 or 5. i am functioning well and have only an occasional blip of anxiety. i blame that on my hormones, the change of life thing. this has been a God send. don't worry about being anxious about taking meds. most people with anxiety have the same problem.

Closed Thread