It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• So is it actually possible for anxiety to go away?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-05-2006, 11:10 PM   #1
    iheartvitaminc
    (male)

iheartvitaminc HB User
    So is it actually possible for anxiety to go away?

And stay away forever?
    Or are the meds we take just a temp. thing to keep it away?
    can it be cured or will i have to be on medication for the rest of my life.
    After it is cured, can it come back?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2006, 11:58 PM   #2
    toxxct

toxxct HB User
    Re: So is it actually possible for anxiety to go away?

I think we all have varying degrees of Anxiety. I know for myself i haven't had an "episode" for probly several years. than recently my wife and I made a huge move in life as well as house and whammo it hit my like a ton of bricks. It's been couple months now, i do feel better every day due in part to coming to this site listening to peoples advice on how to cope. The best advice i've read and i'm no certain atm by whom. It is to simply ignore the feelings (if possible) when they arise. This has been working fairly well for me, in the back of my mind however i still know i'm dealing with something. To answer your question, i first developed what i now know as anxiety 20 years ago when i moved from home for the first time. I won't bore you with all the details - in a nut shell i did just what i'm doing now which was to just keep living my life and by keeping my mind healthy by doing what i love which was to play music. I don't think i ever really got over it totally however i was able to keep the beast at bay...till several weeks ago
    I will keep on fighting it as i know its fear based and i refuse to let fear own me... i own it

Old 09-06-2006, 10:07 AM   #3
    bynobody
    (male)

bynobody HB User

Exactly. Anxiety is LEARNED. Remember that. No kid is born with anxiety disorder.

Personally, I had a lot of things cause it in me, from my Dad picking on me all the time to abusing maryj to inner conflict sometimes.

I learned to be anxious. And now Im going to unlearn it. Every time I get that anxiety I am going to put it out of my head and focus on something positive.

Force yourself to be yourself regardless of how you feel, and anxiety doesn't stand a chance.

Old 09-06-2006, 01:50 PM   #4
    CircusSquirrel
    Veteran
    (female)

CircusSquirrel HB User

It depends on the person. Anxiety is NOT a learned behavior, it is a natural instinct. One could argue that panic attacks or generalized anxiety in which one worries constantly is a learned behavior, but anxiety in itself is present in every one of us. If anxiety weren't with us since birth, our species would have died out long ago! That said, there are likely several anxiety triggers. Some people have bouts of anxiety that come, go away, and stay away. Some people seem genetically predispositioned to the problem (I have many family members with anxiety disorders, and before you say, well, you saw them and learned their behavior, let me say that I had little contact with some of these people such as aunts, cousins, etc., who lived far away and I only found out about their anxiety when I was an adult and was already diagnosed myself). Some people get better for a while, some people get better seemingly forever. Personally I go through good cycles and bad cycles, but through it all I try and live as normal a life as possible, and so far I've done pretty well. I just constantly have to stay on top of it by various methods: therapy, medication, chatting with other sufferers, that sort of thing. So yes, it can go away, but if it doesn't go away, don't think that somehow you're at fault for not doing all the right things. There are some people who think that because they have gotten "all better" then their situation must be reproducible in everyone!

Old 09-06-2006, 02:09 PM   #5
    Graciecat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User

Hi iheartvitaminc,

I agree 100% with CircusSquirrle.

I have a very similar story to hers as my Anxiety/Panic run in cycles also and like her I have a family history of it, that I knew nothing about until after I was dx'd.
    I think it CAN be a learned behavior in some, but for some...like me and it would seem CircusSquirrle as well, it just runs in our families and we are predisposed to this disorder.

I wrote out my LONG story on this board several weeks ago...here's a link to it if you care to read it.
    [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=421142[/url]

Old 09-06-2006, 03:35 PM   #6
    bynobody
    (male)

bynobody HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CircusSquirrel
    It depends on the person. Anxiety is NOT a learned behavior, it is a natural instinct. One could argue that panic attacks or generalized anxiety in which one worries constantly is a learned behavior, but anxiety in itself is present in every one of us. If anxiety weren't with us since birth, our species would have died out long ago! That said, there are likely several anxiety triggers. Some people have bouts of anxiety that come, go away, and stay away. Some people seem genetically predispositioned to the problem (I have many family members with anxiety disorders, and before you say, well, you saw them and learned their behavior, let me say that I had little contact with some of these people such as aunts, cousins, etc., who lived far away and I only found out about their anxiety when I was an adult and was already diagnosed myself). Some people get better for a while, some people get better seemingly forever. Personally I go through good cycles and bad cycles, but through it all I try and live as normal a life as possible, and so far I've done pretty well. I just constantly have to stay on top of it by various methods: therapy, medication, chatting with other sufferers, that sort of thing. So yes, it can go away, but if it doesn't go away, don't think that somehow you're at fault for not doing all the right things. There are some people who think that because they have gotten "all better" then their situation must be reproducible in everyone!
    Thats what I meant. Anxiety disorder is a learned behavior. And it CAN be cured by changing your thoughts.

Closed Thread