It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Celxa anyone????? I need your help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-11-2006, 04:39 AM   #1
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User
    Celxa anyone????? I need your help!

I have been on klonopin for a few months. My doctor slowly took me off this drug. I am now taking it on a "as need basis". I was on Lexapro for a few months as well and it was too strong for me. I came off about 2 months ago. The last few days I have been really bad - crawling out of my skin, bad thoughts, my head is just racing. I simply cannot have 1 thought. I am calling my Dr. today and I think he is going to put me on celexa. Just a theraputic dose. Anyone have any comments on Celexa - is it working? Do you take it at night? Weight issues? I know drugs work differently for everyone but I just need some support and knowledge from real people. thank you so much for anyone who responds. I really need help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2006, 04:47 AM   #2
    audrey1122
    (female)

audrey1122 HB User
    Smile Re: Celxa anyone????? I need your help!

Hello and sorry to hear that your anxiety has gotten worse. I have been on celexa and it did nothing for my anxiety. Although that doesnt mean that it wont for you. You will see that it is more an anti-depressant med. Have you tried zoloft. This has worked wonders for me. I have tried so many different meds and this is the ONLY one that has been so effective with my anxiety. If you havnt I would recommend it. Talk to your dc. Good luck and I hope that this helps.

Old 09-11-2006, 04:53 AM   #3
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User
    Re: Celxa anyone????? I need your help!

Thank you for responding. Do you have any side effects? Did you have any side effects? I am so sensitive to meds.

Old 09-11-2006, 10:49 AM   #4
    (s)aint
    (female)

(s)aint HB User

I take celexa for my anxiety and it has really helped a lot! I am also sensitive to meds and had a few side effects the first two weeks (slight nausea, muscles tremors, insomnia), but they have all gone away. I'm still at a failry low dose (20mg), but it really has helped me a lot. I take it mid-afternoon becuase I find it keeps me up at night if I take it before bed.

But everyone is different, so it's best to "shop around" and see what meds work best for you. Just try to remember that it takes up to 2 months to feel the full effects of a drug, so don't be so quick to write something off if it doesn't work out right away

Old 09-11-2006, 11:36 AM   #5
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User

(s)aint: did you have any weight gain? I had weight gain with Klonopin and Lexapro and It just makes you feel blah. I usually have to take my medications after work - otherwise I can't function. Well that waas with Lexapro. All I wanted to do was sleep so I took it at night. Thank you so much for responding. This has really helped me.

Old 09-11-2006, 06:08 PM   #6
    (s)aint
    (female)

(s)aint HB User

Nope, no weight gain! Any other questions feel free to ask!

Old 09-11-2006, 06:41 PM   #7
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User

Thank you so much. I am seeing the Dr. on Thursday to come up with a plan. I am so afraid to take medicine - I just always feel like I am tired and not myself. Did you ever feel that way? I hope this works!

Old 09-13-2006, 02:30 PM   #8
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User

Anyone else taking Celexa? (s)aint any words of wisdom?

Old 09-14-2006, 08:35 AM   #9
    neshee
    Inactive
    (female)

neshee HB User
    Talking Re: Celxa anyone????? I need your help!

Hello! I was on Celexa for about 3 months. I have stopped due to wanting a second baby and not wanting to be on meds! Okay...Celexa is geared more for anxiety. It worked great for me. I was only needing to be on 20mg and it helped wonderfully. However, you have to be careful coming off from it if you are sensitive to meds. I am super sensitive and my doc took me from 20mg to 10mg and then none. I was fine for 2 days and then I started having weird electric shocks. In my head. It was almost like a weird dizziness. But, would happen when I would just be sitting or whenever it wanted too. It takes about 2 weeks to get better, but they can last up to 8 weeks. I have been off for 5 1/2 weeks and still get them when I am really tired. I actually gained weight coming OFF from Celexa. While on SSRI's I lost 40lbs. So, now I am scared to gain unnecessary weight. I hope this helps you. I know that it is scary trying new meds. I have also heard Zoloft is good, and if I were to go back on a med, that would be it. Only b/c it is reportedly the "safest" for use in pregnancy. Good luck!

Old 09-14-2006, 09:22 AM   #10
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User

Thank you so much for your input. This has helped me so much. I guess i am going to talk to my Dr about trying Celexa! Thanks Again.

PS when you first started - did yo uhave negative side effects? Are you sensitive to meds as well?

Old 09-14-2006, 01:28 PM   #11
    (s)aint
    (female)

(s)aint HB User

Hey j2006, just checking in to see if you've talked to your doctor yet about starting meds! Hope everythings going well. I'll be here to answer any more questions if you have any when/if you start your meds.

Old 09-14-2006, 05:01 PM   #12
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User

(s) aint: Thank you so much for responding! I went today and he suggested Celexa - 5mg for the first week then 10mg if i don;t have any side effects. He said I can take a klonopin with it if I feel anxious when I start. I'm going to start on Sunday because I have a big day on Saturday and I don't want to mess it up by being too tired. He told me that there shouldn't be any weight issue. i gained 10 on Lexapro - I was only on that for a few months. I'm really scared to try the celexa but what have I got to lose. What did you feel the first couple of weeks.

Old 09-14-2006, 10:59 PM   #13
    (s)aint
    (female)

(s)aint HB User

5mg is a great starting dose! My doctor started me at 10mg and I believe that it was too high a starting dose. I'm now at 20mg and feeling almost back to "normal".

The first two days I experienced insomnia, nausea, and a slight increase of anxiety, but the worst of it was over by day four. By the end of the week I actually felt a little bit better and felt a relief in anxiety. Most people (includign my doctor) said I shouldn't feel relief from symptoms so quickly, but I did and my mother did as well when she took Celexa, so I have a lot of faith in the drug.
    For the next two weeks I experienced some side effects, like random muscle twitches/spasms and difficulty falling asleep. I experience a little bit of insomnia still, but I take Clonazepam at bedtime and that helps me to sleep. Other than that I am symptom free!

The Celexa shouldn't make you feel too tired. It does make me a bit "sluggish", but its really not so bad. I take it in the afternoons with my lunch and that seems to help keep my energy up a bit. I gained a little weight since taking Celexa, but I do believe that is due to the fact that my anxiety prevented me from eating much and I had lost 10-15lbs before starting the medication. I think I simply gained that weight back seeing as I have not gained anymore weight besides that ten pounds I lost, so I wouldn't worry about weight gain at all!

Good Luck!! Let me know how it goes!

Old 09-15-2006, 03:51 AM   #14
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User

I hope my stays the same. I joined Weight Watches and lost 6 the past few weeks and i really don't feel like dealling with another issue. I want to thank you again for you help.

Closed Thread