HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Anxiety (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/anxiety/)
-   -   Do you ever become convinced something bad is about to happen? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/anxiety/427879-do-you-ever-become-convinced-something-bad-about-happen.html)

CircusSquirrel 09-12-2006 03:51 PM

Do you ever become convinced something bad is about to happen?

This happens to me during panic attacks and even during times when I'm just overly anxious. It worries me because it always feels so real. It's like a "premonition" or something; it's as if I feel that something terrible (such as me dying, my family being hurt, etc.) is right around the corner. The last time this happened was about 3 months ago. I called my husband and told him I felt nervous but I also felt as if I was sure I was going to collapse and likely die. He came home and I continued to feel that way for about three hours. I took extra medication my dr. had prescribed for "breakthrough panic" and I eventually settled down. Of course, nothing terrible happened. I just hate this feeling and it makes me not want to trust my instincts sometimes. The feeling that something bad is going to happen can be so overwhelming that it overshadows my physical symptoms and other anxiety symptoms. Fortunately I don't have this as a symptom very often, but when I do, it really does a number on me. Does anyone else have this problem?

j2006 09-12-2006 07:17 PM

Re: Do you ever become convinced something bad is about to happen?

This is one of major problems with anxiety. I think something bad is going to happen to myself. It is a constant worry of mine. Although I have had every medical test available (i think) and everything comes back great - I still think bad. I know how you feel. Sorry you are going thru it too! I go to the Drs on Thursday - I am hoping meds will help.

Sadees 09-13-2006 11:59 AM

I get this way often too. Although, some days are worse than others. There are some days where I am fine...but other days I feel as if a family memeber is in trouble, or I myself is going to die (heart attack, brain turmor, etc..I have diagnosed myself with a lot of things ;) I think that this is a symptom that a lot of anxiety sufferers have to go thru and deal with. Unfortunatly. It is also a symptom of GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) You really have no reason to base your feelings on. Every ache and pain you turn in to something major (ie: cancer, tumors, etc). I do it!!! I hate it too!!! I really have no advice except for gettin off the internet in most cases ( I know in my case I search the net for EVERY ache and pain and I come up with a ton of things). I try not to do that. I also love these boards, too...you can really learn a lot from other people and their feelings with anxiety. GOod luck to everyone. Theres hope.

ronniesteers 09-13-2006 12:40 PM

Circus Squirrel

A couple of weeks ago I was in a very bad depression - so bad that I forgot about my normal "general anxiety". Believe it or not. Otherwise, I live with that feeling everyday too, like just when everything is going well something bad will happen (and sometimes something bad is bound to happen). In less than two weeks I was in 2 car accidents (one was the other driver's fault, the other was mine - while I was in the rental car the insurance company put me in while my car was being fixed!) Deductible cost me $500. About two Saturdays ago, I was driving to the supermarket and had a true nervous breakdown/panic attack. I started shaking and crying in the car, afraid every other car on the road was going to hit me or that I would hit them. It was terrible. I still get that sometimes when I am driving to do errands. My other biggest fear (and source of anxiety) is my fiance. I am afraid he will relapse (drugs). Anyway, just letting you know you're not alone. Keep positive and try to do something physical when it gets really bad if you can (exercise helps me sometimes). And try not to read or watch too much of the news.

V_dubgurl 09-13-2006 05:53 PM

I feel the same way alot. Even when my anxiety is under control. I sometimes get these weird deshavoo experiances and it scary.... Like for instance every time I look at the clock its 10:16 my birthday.. Its weird like that my death day too. I don't know. I wish those feelings would go away but I just deal with whats going to happen will happen.

CircusSquirrel 09-14-2006 11:14 AM

Well,
At least I'm not the only one, but I certainly wouldn't wish this on any of you! I also get this way when something good happens to me (extra money, good work news, just really good news in general). I almost feel as if I'm not allowed to be happy without something bad happening in return. I try and push through it, but it sucks!

mustlovedogs 09-14-2006 01:06 PM

I do the same thing. I always feel like if something good happens, something bad is waiting in the wings. My therapist told me that that's life, there's good and bad for everybody. But for me it makes it hard to find the happiness with the good because I just *know* it's precognitive of the bad that's coming.

I also do this...I avoid seeing the people around me that I'm close to all within the same day because when I was young (18 or so), I had a friend that was killed in car crash. The day before it happened, he went and saw every member of his family and his close friends, almost like he knew it was going to happen. My anxiety-ridden brain somehow latched onto that and kept it in my conscience enough that when I see every family member in one day, or even get contact from old friends I haven't seen in a while, I start expecting the worst.

It's an everyday thing for me to feel doom just around the corner, too. Strangely, I started having these "impending doom" feelings just a week before 9/11 happened, so when 9/11 happened, of course, it validated the authenticity of my feelings (it didn't really, just coincidence, but you get the idea). Now I make mountains out of it when, if 9/11 hadn't happened so closely to when I started having these feelings so strongly, I probably wouldn't put as much importance on them as I do now.

ronniesteers 09-15-2006 11:26 AM

Everyone can have intuitions. I have them too and sometimes predict things that I don't want to either. I agree this creates a certain kind of anxiety (it truly is constant). The only time I haven't felt it this year was for about 20-30 minutes talking to someone I haven't seen in a long time and we were having fun in the pool. For some reason, I just couldn't get on the blow up raft and it kept toppling over and I just kept falling in the pool. I was laughing so hard I almost drowned. Other than that the "impending doom" feeling is pretty constant. The only things I do to deal with it are 1. Exercise 2. Tell my fiance or someone close to me who can rationalize 3. Take xanax if it's really bad.