It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Heart question on when your having an anxiety/panic attack....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-10-2006, 09:35 PM   #1
    miche31
    Veteran
    (female)

miche31 HB Usermiche31 HB Usermiche31 HB User
    Heart question on when your having an anxiety/panic attack....

When any of you have an anxiety or panic attack, how fast does your heart race? I know when I'm having one, it goes up to 160 and skips like crazy. I'm on a 24 holter monitor right now, since I'm too scared to do a stress test, to see if they can see what it looks like if/when I have one. I know I really need to do the treadmill in order for them to positively say my heart is ok when it gets up to 160, but I'm having a hard time doing it, so the Dr. is hoping maybe I'll have an attack on this. Of course, it seems like today my heart is on it's best behavior, go figure. I just wanted to know what rate everyones else gets to when they are having anxiety, and if they have lots of pvc's/pac's with the increased rate. Thanks - Michelle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2006, 09:41 PM   #2
    trg247
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
    Re: Heart question on when your having an anxiety/panic attack....

I could not tell you how fast it goes but it is way up there.

trg247
    Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
    Pristiq
    Cymbalta
    Seroquel
    Temazapam

Old 10-11-2006, 01:10 AM   #3
    Shazza68
    (female)

Shazza68 HB User

HI

I get pvc and pac quite often...and especially when I panic. Sometimes I get a couple a day or about once a year I will get a run of them...the other week I had about 30 pvc's in a period of 4 hours, they frightened the hell out of me this particular night because I could really feel them in my throat. I had an exercise ecg...came back normal, had a 24 halter moniter...showed some rare pvc's and pac's but aparently this is common in many people, and I just had an ECHO done yesterday......that showed that my heart is functioning well, no problems with muscle contraction or my valves. The only thing it did pick up was that my heart is closer to my chest wall then most people and that my heart sits against my oesphagus which he believes is why I feel them all the time and why I feel them in my throat. Most people he says are unaware that they are having pvc's or pac's. Now I have to learn to live with them when I get them and not to panic when I have them....easier said then done though.

Shazza68

Old 10-11-2006, 05:40 AM   #4
    nuttygirl
    Veteran
    (female)

nuttygirl HB User

Funny thing, when I had my holter on my heart was behaving also! I was almost hoping I would have the weird thing happen that happens because it's so hard to explain but it didn't. Are you worried about the stress test because they make you get your heart rate up to 160? I'm also afraid to do the stress test as I have very weak ankles and have never been able to run for long periods without feeling like my ankle was giving out and cracking. I'm on a beta blocker so it's it's really hard to get my pulse that high so I wonder how they'd do that? I heard there's a med they can give you that will make your heart do the same thing as if you were running on the treadmill. I know how you feel.

Take Care,
    Tori

Old 10-11-2006, 06:31 AM   #5
    Leela_C
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Leela_C HB User

Hi Michelle. I just had a holter on Monday and of course I didn't get any "skips" (that is what I like to call them). I did, however, get the episode of thumps and skips and rapid beats when I lay on my left side, so I hope it picked that up. Anyway - I don't necessarily get a rapid heart rate when having a panic attack, mine just goes up for no reason. It has been as high as 160, but usually around 120-140. I am on a beta blocker now and it helps a lot. Why are you afraid to do the stress test? If your heart does something crazy that would be the best time for it to happen since you are surrounded by doctors. I have just recently started exercising and usually get my heart rate to about 150 for 20 minutes. I'm sure it would go higher if I weren't on the beta blocker. I really think you should have the stress test done. It really isn't that bad. I had it done before I went on beta blockers and my heart rate went up to around 180 and then they stopped it. Even though my heart rate was high, my heart was functioning as it should when exercising. So I was cleared to exercise. I have been told that exercising helps a lot with anxiety, and to re-condition the heart, so I am trying to do it regularly. (Plus, I need to lose weight!) I still have anxiety about it, but I find that once I get started I just don't think about it anymore. I know we have talked before, but I can't remember if you are on a beta blocker? If not, you may want to try one. It would probably really help you! I have the same (if not worse) heart concerns as you, so I am always here if you want to talk about it. Take care!

LeeAnn

Old 10-11-2006, 06:32 AM   #6
    Leela_C
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Leela_C HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nuttygirl
    Funny thing, when I had my holter on my heart was behaving also! I was almost hoping I would have the weird thing happen that happens because it's so hard to explain but it didn't. Are you worried about the stress test because they make you get your heart rate up to 160? I'm also afraid to do the stress test as I have very weak ankles and have never been able to run for long periods without feeling like my ankle was giving out and cracking. I'm on a beta blocker so it's it's really hard to get my pulse that high so I wonder how they'd do that? I heard there's a med they can give you that will make your heart do the same thing as if you were running on the treadmill. I know how you feel.

Take Care,
    Tori
    Just to let you know - I never had to run while doing my stress test. It was just a very fast walk. I did my stress test before I was on beta blockers, but I think they have you not take your bb on the day they do it, I'm not sure.

Old 10-11-2006, 01:27 PM   #7
    Poodle_D_Do
    (female)

Poodle_D_Do HB User

I also have a steady heart rate of 100 or more when relaxing. I can tell when it elavates as I feel a little dizzy and "out of sort" I had a stress test done about a year ago and the cardiologist wanted to put me on high blood pressure meds. I suffer from chronic fatique with my fibramyalgia and did not want to feel any more fatiqued then I was already. I do not have HBP as it is usually low 106/68, 126/70, etc.

I usually am physically hot when my heart rate elavates. I can not tolerate the hot weather and if I am where ( in a room, resturate,etc), it gets too hot, I have had to go to my car and turn the air conditioner on to "get it back togather."

I recently went through a divorce and did have sever panic attacks to the point of shortness of breathe and chest pains. I did not realize what was going on until my sister told me she had had them and that was the way she felt as well. My pulse was extremely high during these attacks.

Does anyone else have the elavated pulse problem just from getting too hot?
    I have wanted to start an exercise plan but was told by one professional trainer I need to get the high pulse issue resolved as I could have a stroke or heart attack if I was not careful.

I refuse to take HBP medication and told my doctor I would not take it. I am asking if there is a medication for ONLY high pulse rates? has anyone else experienced high pulse rate from getting too hot?

Thanks

Last edited by Poodle_D_Do; 10-11-2006 at 01:32 PM.

Old 10-11-2006, 01:43 PM   #8
    miche31
    Veteran
    (female)

When I get hot my pulse goes way fast too, which also includes the pac's and pvc's, but yes, just getting hot makes my pulse race. Michelle

Old 10-11-2006, 07:01 PM   #9
    MrsPM
    (female)

MrsPM HB User

When I get hot my pulse rates goes up too. However, I found that when I do regular cardio exercise (jogging or running on the treadmill at least 4 times per week for 30 mins.) that I can tolerate the heat better and my heart rate is lower. When beginning to exercise, it's important to start out very slowly and gradually increase your intensity and duration.

Old 10-12-2006, 08:25 AM   #10
    boxerlver227
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

boxerlver227 HB Userboxerlver227 HB Userboxerlver227 HB Userboxerlver227 HB User

Hi Michelle~
    When I am having a panic attack my heart rate jumps real high, I think the highest it's ever went was 147.. If I am having a "really" anxious day I run in the 120's all day long!! If I take a xanax my heart slows down into the low 100's.. So I am guessing mine is stress related. If I do any kind of exercise or just heavy activity mine could also spike up there. But as soon as I stop and sit it returns back to the 90's/100's.. I think they say that is how you know your heart is working right, as long as is slows down after the panic attack, or activity!! Good Luck.. I know how you feel it sucks!! Boxerlover~

Old 10-13-2006, 11:22 AM   #11
    CircusSquirrel
    Veteran
    (female)

CircusSquirrel HB User

My heart rate races for no particular reason, but it also goes fast during an anxiety attack. Before I was on a beta-blocker my heart was clocked at 203, but it usually topped out at like 170-180. Now that I'm older (almost 32) it tops out around 140-150 when not on meds.
    I was SOOOO scared of having the treadmill stress test, but I took some Xanax and it wasn't bad at all. I wasn't on my beta-blocker for the test, and I quickly got my heart rate up! I walked most of the time, but I broke into a run and got my heart rate past my max (189) to 201. The cardio was very satisfied with that, he said that maxing your heart rate really helps the test's accuracy. I think my heart rate only stayed that high for like 20 seconds, though. As soon as I hit that, I started slowing down. The whole thing was really quick and I felt so relieved after I left! There is a version where they inject you with a med to raise your heart rate but some people say it's uncomfortable, you get warm and your heart is pounding while you're just lying there. Other people don't mind it. Take care and know you're not alone!

Old 10-17-2006, 10:01 AM   #12
    skorpion1028
    (male)

skorpion1028 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by miche31
    When any of you have an anxiety or panic attack, how fast does your heart race? I know when I'm having one, it goes up to 160 and skips like crazy. I'm on a 24 holter monitor right now, since I'm too scared to do a stress test, to see if they can see what it looks like if/when I have one. I know I really need to do the treadmill in order for them to positively say my heart is ok when it gets up to 160, but I'm having a hard time doing it, so the Dr. is hoping maybe I'll have an attack on this. Of course, it seems like today my heart is on it's best behavior, go figure. I just wanted to know what rate everyones else gets to when they are having anxiety, and if they have lots of pvc's/pac's with the increased rate. Thanks - Michelle
    If you don't mind me asking are you from NJ. The reason I ask is because what you explained in your letter sounds exactly like me!

I am looking for someone in my area (pref female) they are more open than men, so we caln talk and help each other instead of being alone. I understand that millions have this but I don't know anyone personally who I can trust?

Much Love,
    Josell

Old 10-17-2006, 10:23 AM   #13
    Stitcherladyxx
    (female)

Stitcherladyxx HB User

I'm on a beta blocker due to heart palpitations. I had a really bad episode where my heart would literally skip a beat, which is freaky listening to when they have you hooked up to a heart monitor lol. Did the whole halter thing, never got around to the stress test because other non heart related issues popped up.

I don't get as high as before, but it gets up there in pace during an attack. I'm also going to incorporate exercise and see if I can tone my system up a bit. I'm so out of shape, it's not funny.

Old 10-17-2006, 12:00 PM   #14
    miche31
    Veteran
    (female)

Josell -
    Hey there. Actually I live very far from you, in Montana. I'm sorry to hear your going through the same thing, this isn't fun. What is your story, and what testing have you done? {REMOVED} Anyways, my holter report came back with two brief episodes of SVT, rate 154. So, my Dr. told me she is hooking me up with a Cardiologist. I think I liked it better when they kept telling me I was ok and there was nothing wrong. Although, I am still keeping my fingers crossed that it was misinterpreted, haha. (can happen) I am taking Xanax right now, just started, hoping it helps, but so far, it just makes me spacey. My problem is that my panic attacks or anxiety attacks interfere with telling the difference of what is really happening in the heart and what is happening from my mind. Anyways, you can talk back to me here, or over on the heartboard. Take Care, Michelle

Last edited by msmod; 10-17-2006 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Please don't discuss Moderator decisions on the board. Ms_Mod

Closed Thread