It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Can people with anxiety handle jobs

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-02-2006, 10:23 AM   #1
    lostlight
    (female)

lostlight HB User
    Can people with anxiety handle jobs

i need a job, i feel like the attention that a spend day to day worrying could be spent other ways.

what kinds of jobs are good for people that have anxiety. im twenty one, high school deploma, with a small base support of freinds. i need ideas.
    thanks in advance.

Last edited by lostlight; 11-02-2006 at 10:25 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2006, 05:36 PM   #2
    nuttygirl
    Veteran
    (female)

nuttygirl HB User
    Re: Can people with anxiety handle jobs

What types of skills do you have and what types of things do you enjoy doing? Are there things you really don't like(messy stuff, blood, the public, etc.). Depending on these factors it would be easier to suggest something you might look for. Have you thought about maybe going to college? I went for 3 yrs, still have another year for bachelors degree and plan to start back soon!

Think about it!

Take Care,
    Tori

Last edited by ms_mod; 11-02-2006 at 07:33 PM.

Old 11-02-2006, 08:43 PM   #3
    Zeethan

Zeethan HB User

I think about this alot, I'll be in a position to work next year, but sort of wonder what will happen if I am still feeling anxious, I'd love to get back out and earn some money and do something worthwhile again. I guess all we can do is try it. Maybe do something where you wouldn't have to be around large groups of people, or whatever it is that makes you more nervous.

Old 11-03-2006, 02:26 AM   #4
    sdsand
    (male)

sdsand HB User

I am so glad someone asked this question because i havent been working for a year now and i want a job sooo bad to start getting money again but i worry about the anxiety. I dont want to get a good job and have the anxiety bring me down and make me lose it. I worked for Cingular doing Corporate Sales a year ago and thats when i started having panic attacks and anxiety all the time well that made me lose the job and the main thing that really makes me mad is that i was the top seller on my team and clear almost 80k oh yea for got to mention Im 21, it was the best job ive ever had...i was so proud that i was able to get the job beating out other people that had degrees and more experience but i guess personality has alot to do with it if you dont have the creditials. I had to sell my brand new truck, and before that i had a 60 inch tv that cost my 4 grand that i sold to pay for my truck after i lost my job, sold so much stuff that i never thought i would be able to afford so young..laptop, tv ,truck, bike, four wheeler, cell phone (sounds dumb but it was 700 buck) and alot of other stuff...so heres my thing i dont want alot of stress again like at Cingular and honestly i dont care about all that money because it made me the person i am today and sometimes i wonder that if i didnt take the job and all the stress would i still have anxiety..probably not..my job before didnt pay a whole lot but i loved it and always loved going to work and hanging out with everyone...now i dont even hang out with my friends, just my family and girlfriend, anyone know of a job thats not real stressful not alot of people ALL the time to deal with and has decent pay? Sorry so long!!

Old 11-03-2006, 04:27 AM   #5
    lylone
    Veteran
    (female)

lylone HB User

I definately have anxiety and have been holding a job. I also have high blood pressure and SVTs, but I am still here everyday. I just make sure I have xanax and a bp monitor in my bag at all times and usually I don't have to use either.
    There was a time when I was afraid that even if I got out of bed I would have an attack, but life is bed is not much of a life.
    The best thing that is going to help your anxiety is to get your mind off of your worries. Get out there and get a job to take your mind off of things. Now, I don't know if you want to go back to a stressful job, but maybe something a little easier.
    I went from Production Support with 24x7 on call to a Technical Writer position and the stress has definately decreased. Also my new job has a gym on site(exercise is great for anxiety) and once I talked to my boss about having bouts with anxiety, she was actually pretty cool about it. Even allows me to work from home whenever I need to. I haven't had to take a work from home day since August if that tells you something.

The big question you have to ask yourself is if you are going to let the anxiety win? I say "heck no" there is too much out there to experience.
    Plus, you are 21, you have your whole life ahead of you!!

good luck,
    lyl

Old 11-03-2006, 07:24 AM   #6
    Guineapig5
    (female)

Guineapig5 HB User

Have you thought about starting out with volunteer work to "test the waters"? Or/and taking a course or two as someone suggested?

I suffer with general anxiety, rather than panic attacks, but it's worst in the a.m., when most jobs start. I do a fair amount of volunteer work, which makes me feel more confident. My biggest problem is that I don't sleep well, and an alarm clock would definitely drive me over the edge, mental-health wise.

I'm all for taking a position that you find satisfying, even if it means less money. 80k at 21! . sdsand, you should be proud!

I would start out working part-time, whatever field you decide on. I think that what causes stress for one person, might not for another, so it's difficult to definitively answer your question. Do people make you nervous? Deadlines? Driving in bad weather? Certain tasks? Do a bit of soul-searching. As someone said, you're very young, so don't feel stressed about easing into life. Perhaps a therapist and/or meds might help.

Old 11-03-2006, 06:27 PM   #7
    ocdengineer
    Inactive
    (male)

ocdengineer HB User

I am a Mechanical Engineer. I design electronics for military avionics. I work full-time and have a very demanding job, so I would say, Yes, it is very possible to hold a job. Like a previous poster, I also take a Xanax with me to work, but I take 2 mg per day, so I have to take my second dose at 5. Anyway, is it possible, yes. Is it difficult, yea, sometimes it is really hard to get up in the morning and go to work, but now Ihave a family, so I can't cop out and that keeps me going every day. I also really love what I do and I think that makes it so much easier to get to work every morning. Find something you really enjoy and make a career out of it. Good luck guys and I hope you all find something you enjoy doing, because being busy is one of the best cures for anxiety. it's true.

Old 11-04-2006, 01:34 AM   #8
    sdsand
    (male)

sdsand HB User

Yea i was soooo proud of myself that i made that amount of money, it was really cool to have older people ask me questions....i didnt get an 80k salary (i wish) but i had to work sooo much and hard to get that...cool thing was that i got rewarded pretty well like one time i was the top salesman for the quarter and they took me and a few others to the horse races in a box suite and all the food was sooo good and FREE (best part) i got free cell phones all the time from winning sales contest...i miss all that so much, mainly my new truck but i really dont know what i would like or be good at. Im young and dont know what alls out there that doesnt require a degree to make good money, im going to start real estate appraisal school sometime soon but have to get a different job in the meantime to pay for it all, any suggestions on jobs that make decent money without a degree, the only experience i have is sales and i NEVER want to go back to that, i love tech work i love to take electronics apart and find out the problem and fix it but i dont have any experience so its very hard to find a job, as to the reply earlier---i'm not really nervous about deadlines, and i really would prefer not to work with a bunch of people i like small enviroments (always have) the only thing im worried about is just going to work and having anxiety thats all, i know whatever job i get ill do good at, ive always been like that im a very fast learner and im really good with computers, i dont care about all the money anymore, my parents always told me happiness is more important than money, and me being young and dumb said yea but money gives you happiness, thats definately the case, i was more happy making 15k than 80k i would really appreciate it if someone could point me in some directions to other non degree jobs that pay decent i really only need about 20-30k and in texas thats ok but nothing special thanks guys!!! {REMOVED} i like getting to know new people

Last edited by ms_mod; 11-04-2006 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Do not post off board contact information of any kind. Ms_Mod

Old 11-04-2006, 02:05 AM   #9
    cmolio2
    (male)

cmolio2 HB User

Well if you have a trade skill or are artistic, There is much money to be made. I have had anxiety for 3+ years and been agoraphobic for the past 2 years. I have not been able to go further than about a mile from my home.No stores, no movie theaters, no restaurants. It sucks, but you have to find a way. I went to college for about 2 years and then found that I couldnt handle it because of the anxiety. I have always been artistic and creative so, naturally, I found myself a trade. I went from electrician work(which was hard because I couldnt find work close to home. So I took up pipe making. I carve tobacco pipes from high quality briar from Europe. Pipe smoking in itself is a very relaxing and mentally healthy activity. It calms the nerves. It is great work. It is honest and it pays the bills. When a customer finds a pipe he/she hasto have, there is no imit to how much they will pay for it. I am 22 years old so I have a lot of time ahead of me. Working with your own 2 hands is the most respected, honorable, and therapeudic work you can do. I have found much relaxation and increase in confidence from it. SO YES, YOU CAN WORK IF YOU HAVE ANXIETY. You just have to work around it, or use it to your advantage. Allof the great masters(painters,sculpters, inventors) have had some form of emotional hardship. My pipes are more in demand due to the fact that I dont have a store or shop and only work out of my garage. Good luch to all of you!!!

Old 11-04-2006, 02:21 AM   #10
    jakcpk
    (female)

jakcpk HB User

Sometimes working a job that you don't need to make a quota (sorry about the spelling) Can be good. say like in the mall where you get a salary but still can make commission. I have some friends that work in jewlery stores and trust me unless it's around christmas the job is really quite boring. Maybe taking baby steps like that could get you back on track. You said you did sales before. It might be looking into. Go to another jewlery store and pretend like you are the customer and ask questions about merchandise. This way you can have a small edge. Good luck.

Old 11-04-2006, 05:31 AM   #11
    sdsand
    (male)

sdsand HB User

i really dont now what job i wanna do yet maybe like a simple office just doing some admin or clerical something kind of easy with decent pay

Old 11-04-2006, 06:04 PM   #12
    Zeethan

Zeethan HB User

Another question, if you are taking a med and you are drug tested frequently, will it show up, would you need to explain ahead of time that they may find such and such in your urine?

I applied to be a 911 operator once, the test had me on my toes, if I took it now, I'd be cringing under the desk, no way I can handle a job with a lot of time pressure. I can't even play games online where I'm timed, I panic and lose

Old 11-04-2006, 06:23 PM   #13
    IdahoJohn
    Inactive
    (male)

IdahoJohn HB User

Like some of the others I take my meds everywhere I go and that alone helps me. I have to work, I have a wife and 4 boys.

Closed Thread