It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Twitches and shakes

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-16-2006, 02:02 AM   #1
    skiesofmars
    (male)

skiesofmars HB User
    Twitches and shakes

Have had twitching calf muscles - most of the time but not all - (you can see the nerves "jumping") for 2/3 weeks now. Also have internal shakes (although you can't see me shaking) on occasions. Feel like I'm going crazy thro' worry. I'm a mega anxious person at the best of times and have had more than my fair of stress in the last year (Dad died and have had 2 major health scares plus another very stressful occasion - and now this!!). I jump when the 'phone rings or hear loud noise and feel generally very tense (have done so for a long time now) and I work on my own which compounds my fears - feel very isolated. Am terrified I've got ALS as you call it in the States. My Doc did some tests and is convinced its not ALS but is contacting the neuro to "dot the i's and cross the t's" as he puts it. He thinks it's anxiety. Anyone out there with their thoughts please?I had to go to a neuro a month or so ago - thought I had Parkinson's or MS - turned out to be a trapped nerve!! Anyway is he contacting neuro for stated reason or do you think he suspects I have ALS and is being kind to me by saying he's sure I don't have it?? Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Two nights ago I slept for 45 minutes at most - I rang the Samaritans just to be able to voice my fears to someone. Am driving my partner nuts with my fears! She's very patient fortunately.
    Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Last edited by skiesofmars; 11-16-2006 at 02:07 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2006, 06:25 AM   #2
    impala lady
    (female)

impala lady HB User
    Re: Twitches and shakes

hi, hope this helps you. i have had muscles jumping in my arm, could actually sit there & watch them, also would lie in bed & fell as if my whole body was quivering inside. then i would wake up about 3 or 4 AM with heart paps. i have had 2 stress test, ekgs, heart echo,ect...
    ALL came back normal. i have had a lot ot stress the last 2 years in my life & it just kept escalating. while i was in the hospital with pancreatitis caused by gallstones lodged in the common bile duct that i was diagnosed with anxiety. i had these systoms for a year (reason for all the test) but i think this what finally pushed me into bad anxiety. they put me on lexapro 10mg, and xanax as needed. it has really helped! most days are good, but have to take a xanax at night to cope with the heart paps. until 3 years age i never hada health problem at all. i really think you have anxiety too, it affects so many areas of your body, different ones at different times. i was driving my husband crazy, he thought that i was becoming a hypocondrac, until i was diagnosed now he is much more sympathic and helpful. please ask your dr. about anxiety and read the post on these threads, they have helped me so many days when i felt like no one understood what i was going thru! good luck.

Old 11-17-2006, 01:48 PM   #3
    skiesofmars
    (male)

skiesofmars HB User

Thanks Impala Lady for your post. I felt so much better when I read that you had similar symptoms (not that I'm glad you have them I hope you realise!). I took your advice and read many other posts regarding "twitching". Isn't having anxiety a dreadful waste of life? I'd swap a lottery win for getting rid of this miserable mental state of fear of illness any day of the week, wouldn't you? Just over 1 year ago my Dad died at the age of 85, he was hardly ever ill untill the day he passed away, but was a total hypochondriac. And I used to ridicule him for it!! Now I've turned into one despite never worrying about illness before 6 weeks ago. I think my own anxiety has been caused by a lifetime of stress (many brought on by myself), compounded by the stresses of the last year and cumulated in my present condition. I believe (in my rational moments) that anxiety and stress can cause many symptoms and when you put them in a search engine and read the results this in turn causes more anxiety and so on. It's easy to end up on a treadmill of despair and despondency. I wish you well with your fight with anxiety and once again a very big thank you from this side of the Atlantic for your time and trouble in replying to my post. It does seem from reading many posts that many good people spend much time in helping others with their own experiences out of kindness. All is not lost for the human race!!

Old 11-18-2006, 09:55 AM   #4
    skiesofmars
    (male)

skiesofmars HB User

My feeling of well being lasted but a day! Despit Impala Lady's good advice to read the other anxiety sufferer's post's, I just can't get my mind off my own muscle twitches - the more I think about them, the more they seem to happen. Have no other symptoms, just calf muscle twitches (occaisionally behind knee's) apart from extreme anxiety and the more I'm anxious the more they seem to twitch (I do have mild asthma, bad when I was a kid). Still, as a pessimmistic, negative person I fear the worst kind of neuromusculer disease. The thoughts of doom and gloom and a slow miserable demise keep going round and round in my head like a demented spinning top. I'm driving myself, my partner (she must be the most patient person in the world!) and everyone else that I know nuts!! If the doctor hadn't said he'd contact the neuro I'd have felt fine and only just curious about the twitches (they are not physically painful, just mentally so). I've been a very anxious person since childhood - constantly fighting parents (resulting in a divorce), constantly put down, left on own a lot, bullied at school, always in terror of a confrontation situation all my life, always believing that others are somehow more capable than myself, had the inevitable (considering upbringing) divorce, stress filled work life (to me anyway) etc. Having just read what I've written it does sound like a long whining, self pitying whinge - but I've only written this to illustrate my background which may or way not be of help (please don't get me wrong I loved my Dad dearly when he was alive and miss him very much -and I love my Mum very much too). I do realise that many, many people (and I'm sure plenty of you) have had an awful lot worse to contend with in their lifetimes - you only have turn on the TV to realise that - and I do also appreciate that compared with a lot of people I have had a priviledged life. But nevertheless we all have our own personal Mt Everest's to climb and I have mine in front of me at present. I guess why I'm rambling on so much is that I'm looking for any hardy soul's out there who could throw me a lifeline to help me with my ascent! So if there's any one else out there who can throw me a new rope (mine's very frayed!), especially if they are twitchers, please don't hesitate to do so. Many thanks for your time and trouble in bothering to read this.

Last edited by skiesofmars; 11-18-2006 at 09:57 AM.

Old 11-18-2006, 11:17 PM   #5
    worriertwo
    (male)

worriertwo HB User

Hi, I've been down that road before. You have nothing to worry about. I was having twitches everywhere for several years, including the dreaded tongue twitches. I was convinced I was dying of motor neuron disease (ALS). The muscles in my hand were getting weak and disappearing (so I thought). It was so bad I purchased a nursing home insurance policy, so I would be taken care of when I could no longer move, and then started planning for my eventual demise. Of course this was after I had 3 EMG and nerve conduction studies with the top neurologist at one of the top hospitals in the US, who is also a leader in the field of EMG and NCS research. He had assured me the twitches were not due to ALS. I was convinced he was wrong and that I was just not at an advanced enough stage of the disease for him to pick up on the tests. I was that 1 in a million who got the disease at age 35. Well, that was 5 years ago! I guess he knew what he was talking about when he told me that if the twitches were due to ALS, then the disease would be far enough along to show up on the tests. He also said people who are diagnosed with ALS present with some sort of objective weakness as the problem, not twitching. SO relax for more than one day mate! Twitches can happen all over for years and it means nothing. The fact that your dr referred you to a neuro also means nothing other than the fact that he is overly cautious. Finally, I don't recall exactly but I thought you said your calves were twitching. Not that it matters but that is the one area on the body that is most prone to twitching. Cheers.

Old 11-19-2006, 04:26 AM   #6
    skiesofmars
    (male)

skiesofmars HB User

Thank you Worriertwo for your kind response. You've eased my mind considerably. As I've worked with solvents (on and off, always taking precautions) for a few years(I've previously posted about this), I've looked up the effects of solvent toxicity on the 'net over the last 3 years or so, and, in my own opinion, have almost built up a case for having a neurological disease! I think this and the stresses of the last year that I mentioned in my last post, has built up in my sub-conscious thus tuning me into a quivering self-obsessed, nervous, anxiety-ridden wreck!! At least that's my amateur explanation. I'm definately not a psychiatrist!! Anxiety, worry and health obsessions are disabling in their own way, aren't they? But it's so easy to be critical of others who have them as I've found in my life regarding my Dad. I regret not be more tolerant of him particulary as I now see life more from his perpective. Dad also suffered mildy from OCD and so do I. Anxiety and OCD are unpleasant bedfellows. I shall scan the anxiety board in future as I feel I would like to give a little back to others as I've had relief from my own worries by yourself and Impala Lady. If Healthboards did not exist I would be in a far worse mental state than I am at this moment. I
    did look up a website re benign fasticulations and the information I found was also reassuring. Your information Worriertwo, has been a real tonic and once again, many thanks!!

Old 11-19-2006, 08:45 AM   #7
    Jenny R.
    Inactive
    (female)

Jenny R. HB User

Anyone here have other weird sensations with their twitches. I have little cold spots, and sometimes bug crawling sensations. I read about benign fasciculation syndrome, and it says that you can have these sensations also with the twitches. I am so worried that I have MS. I have had these sensations for about 6 years, I just had a brain MRI done this year, normal, and also a c-spine, bulging disk at C-3, C-4. I'm scared to death!!!! I don't fear ALS, cause I'd be dead by now.

Old 11-20-2006, 02:13 AM   #8
    makingsenseout
    (male)

makingsenseout HB User
    Re: Twitches and shakes(its become a way of life)

I could write volumes on these things.Your muscles become so cramped from being stressed that when you let go just a little bit your muscles are having a party because you relaxed and thats the twitches ..I have them in my legs .my arms so bad im afraid im going wake my wife up ,but one night she woke me saying my arm was shaking..Go figure that one out..I get twitches around my eyes ,my cheeks and everywhere between there including my head and down to my feet.Its been going on so long I hardley even notice them anymore. But yes its the stress and the anxiety and worry that we are all going through..I am like the person that said they would give the lottery winnings not to live this nightmare..

Old 12-12-2006, 03:11 PM   #9
    skiesofmars
    (male)

skiesofmars HB User

All the good, thoughtful and positive advice has now receded to the furthest corners of my mind and my negative side is (for the moment at least) seemingly now dominant! I have to go for "nerve conduction studies". The thought of this is terrifying to say the least.

Old 12-12-2006, 04:26 PM   #10
    Modularman
    (male)

Modularman HB User

I know its very hard to except that there is nothing wrong but anxiety and stress. Please believe me. Anything can happen to your body as a result of built up stress/anxiety over years. I have gone thru this for 40 years now. I have had all the symptoms you can think of and maybe more. When I get over one, theres another, and another. Some periods I have a great life and then sometimes it comes back to nail you once again. I have finally learned that it is anxiety and once i ingnore the symptoms, they eventually go away and try again another time another place. Please try to relax, which is very hard, it took me a long time. Good luck and peace.

Old 12-18-2006, 02:00 AM   #11
    skiesofmars
    (male)

skiesofmars HB User

Hi Modularman,
    Thank you for your reply. How do you relax? I find it very difficult to say the least especially when I'm awaiting the results of a blood test and have to have the nerve conduction study. Any techniques for relaxing would be listened to openly. I've recently been diagnosed with Genearl Anxiety Disorder (no surprises there!!) and suffer from OCD, albeit mildy fortunately. Thanks once again.

Last edited by skiesofmars; 12-18-2006 at 02:06 AM.

Old 12-18-2006, 12:58 PM   #12
    Modularman
    (male)

Modularman HB User

skysofmars, There are a lot of ways to try and relax and every person is different as to how they can do that. My Dr. had me get this tape that tells how to tighten certain muscles in your body and then let them relax. And tighten again and then relax. I have done this on various parts of my body over a period of time daily and it helped me somewhat. Right now Im going through a music phase where I can listen to piano music or some orchestra music that is mild classical and I can zone out and just hear the music and think of nothing else. Keeping busy always keeps my mind off my troubles and weird feelings with my body. There are a lot of relaxation cd's you can get or some kind of tape or video or listening techniques. The thing is to try something and see what might work. I just blow off a lot of these feelings and continue with what IM doing no matter what and eventually they subside. Good luck and peace.

Old 12-18-2006, 02:45 PM   #13
    skiesofmars
    (male)

skiesofmars HB User

Hello Modularman,

Thanks for your reply and I'll try out some of your tips to see what suits me best. I do have Mozart, which, if I recall helped to relax me before. Shall try again.

Closed Thread