It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Switching from Zoloft to Lexapro

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-17-2006, 03:18 PM   #1
    miche31
    Veteran
    (female)

miche31 HB Usermiche31 HB Usermiche31 HB User
    Switching from Zoloft to Lexapro

Well, how did the switch from Zoloft back to Lexapro go? Feeling better today? I am going to start the Zoloft tonight, and not looking forward to it.
    I go in on Monday so am going to talk to her about the Atenolol. She already said I could try it, but wanted me to get a week or two of the SSRI in me first, so we can see which med is causing any side effects that I may get. I'm trying to be patient.
    Anyways, just checking on you seeing how you were today. I'm sure starting tomorrow I will be a basket case writing lots of posts on here because of my fear of the Zoloft, haha.
    Talk to you later, Michelle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2006, 03:52 PM   #2
    teacher2be
    Veteran
    (female)

teacher2be HB User
    Re:

hey miche31..thanks for asking. let me tell you even though the dr. and pharmacist said just go straight from one drug to the other and don't wean off, let me tell you it is not a good idea. i think that has been a lot of my problem this week with the zoloft. i went back to the lexapro last night and i was so scared. with in an hour i felt awful and it panicked me so bad because i really thought i made a mistake because i had two different drugs in my system. i got the worst headache ever, i started shaking, very sick at my stomach, i would close my eyes and see stars, and then when i opened them i swore my chandelier was moving, and then i was in the bathroom shaking so bad, and when i closed my eyes everything was green. i got so scared i called up to the e.r. but the nurse said she could not give out medical info. over phone. i felt like i was having a bad panic attack. that's the way i felt on zoloft very panicky whole time, and chest pains. i have not had chest pains today and i think it is because i did not take zoloft last night. don't let me scare you because everybody is different. i just know i never can take zoloft. i am very sensitive to drugs. i have felt more like my old self today and more clear headed. some people love zoloft and have very good results though, and you may be one. go ahead and try it because it may help you.
    if lexapro doesn't work all the way (it works great for my anxiety and depression but aggravates my ocd) i may just try the atenolol and see how that goes. sorry so long but good luck with your zoloft you will probably do well on it. hopefully.

Last edited by ms_mod; 11-18-2006 at 09:58 AM.

Old 11-17-2006, 05:10 PM   #3
    miche31
    Veteran
    (female)

Re:

How scary for you. I know going into this it can go either way for me, I am going to take it in two hours, and I'm sure I'll be a fruitcake after that. I hope it works for me too. I have chest pains all the time now, so that won't be nothing new. Dizziness, yea got that too. Sick to stomache, nauseated, all that. I'm writing all this down now, so tomorrow when I say that I have all the above from the Zoloft hopefully I can remember that I actually have all this beforehand. I hope so bad it works too. I have OCD just as bad as the depression and anxiety, so that is why I'm going with the Zoloft first, it is supposed to be better for all them just like your describing. I heard that Lexapro is better for depression and anxiety only, but if you have other disordres, Zoloft is better. Oh well, gonna try it. Keep your fingers crossed. I hope that you won't have anymore episodes since switching, you should know for sure if you don't have anything wrong tonight after your Lexapro.
    I wish nurses could still give advice over the phone, now you have to go pay $300 at the minimum just to get advice.
    I am really sensitive to drugs too, so am very nervous, but I also know everyone is different. Won't know unless I try it.
    I"M SCARED!! haha, seriously tho.
    Talk to you in about 2 hours Michelle

Last edited by ms_mod; 11-18-2006 at 09:59 AM.

Old 11-17-2006, 05:48 PM   #4
    teacher2be
    Veteran
    (female)

teacher2be HB User
    Re:

good luck with your zoloft. just try to stay calm, easier said than done. that was my problem last night was that i was panicking because i was expecting some crazy side effects and i had myself so worked up it made it worse, so i just tried to calm myself done and rest and get my mind off of it to make it better, and it did. yeah you don't know if it will work unless you try it for sure. you may really like it. just don't forget like everyone was telling me it takes atleast 2 weeks before the side effects can go away. that was hard for me because i just did not want to feel awful for that long. i know someone who started taking zoloft and never had a problem. so it is possible. good luck and hopefully it will go good.

Last edited by ms_mod; 11-18-2006 at 10:00 AM.

Old 11-18-2006, 08:47 AM   #5
    miche31
    Veteran
    (female)

Re:

So, how are you doing today? It is day two back on your Lexapro. I took the Zoloft last night, no problems, at first. I could not sleep well, so I took a Xanax, and still had troubles. I think I was so anxious waiting for something to happen. I woke up for good at 6am, and was so worried about my heart that I took my Inderal, and then about 20 minutes later got really sick to my stomache. It went away, but was nauseated bad for an hour. I am really tired right now, and lightheaded, but I htink some of it is from not sleeping well too. I hope I made the right decision between the two, but unless I tried something I would never know.
    My heart is a little skippy today, I hate that. It does it when I'm tired, or if my heart rate gets to low (which it definetely isn't) or dehydrated. Basically the same causes that give me svt episodes too.
    Hey, does your Dr. think that your svt can go away? I mean, does he have any idea what causes it? I've heard some people with svt say that it sometimes can get better and go away, but I don't know if that is true. What do you think?
    Talk to you later!
    Michelle

Last edited by ms_mod; 11-18-2006 at 10:01 AM.

Old 11-18-2006, 08:58 AM   #6
    miche31
    Veteran
    (female)

Re:

I forgot to ask you, did you have any side effects at all when you started the Lexapro? I guess it is very rare to not have any, was wondering if you were a lucky one.
    Michelle

Last edited by ms_mod; 11-18-2006 at 10:02 AM.

Old 11-18-2006, 12:51 PM   #7
    teacher2be
    Veteran
    (female)

teacher2be HB User
    Re: Switching from Zoloft to Lexapro

i have not had any side effects really since starting my lexapro back the main thing is i feel like myself again which is good. yeah when you are expecting side effects that makes it worse because it makes you feel worse because you have it on your mind. hope the zoloft goes good today for you.

Old 11-19-2006, 12:23 PM   #8
    miche31
    Veteran
    (female)

Well, now I'm regretting trying this one instead of the Lexapro. Shoot, hard to tell whether it is the med or the severe stress I had last night, and obviously am still having. You never know tho unless you try it. I know people that love both of them, and so thought that since I have so many disorders that Zoloft would be better to try first. Plus, it seems to have much less side effects than Lexapro, at least that is what I read on a drug information website. Although, I've heard the Lexapro is supposed to have very little side effects.
    How are you doing, still good on the Lexapro? Have you noticed it lowering your heart rate more? It certainly did that with my beta blocker, which is ok, I guess because than I could take less of the bb. The Zoloft so far has increased my pulse, both yesterday and today. I'm so anxious and agitated. I ended up taking another Xanax and it has helped, but I'm mostly tired now.
    Now I'm not sure whether to take another dose tonight or stop. I hate to give up after two days, but man, if I get any more manic today, I may lose it big time!
    Michelle

Old 11-19-2006, 02:13 PM   #9
    teacher2be
    Veteran
    (female)

teacher2be HB User

hey that is a few of the symptoms i had too. i became so agitated which was not like me and more anxious than i have EVER been. i felt like i was watching myself like i was living in a dream, did not feel like myself at all, very nervous. i felt the same way i hated quiting after only 4 days but i could not take not even one more day of feeling the way i did. i thought i was going to go crazy. i have 3 kids and i felt like i could not even tend to them. it also make me extremely sleepy and i did not have the energy to get up and do anything. my hr was also very fast. now that i have been on lexapro i have my energy back and feel soo much better. i hope you feel better too. it takes time to really figure out what is best. good luck!!!!

Old 11-19-2006, 02:19 PM   #10
    teacher2be
    Veteran
    (female)

teacher2be HB User

hey i just read on your other thread that someone took your money out of your bank account , i am sorry, no wonder your stressed out, hopefully it will all work out, and this probably isn't a good time for you to start a new drug, but it will work out.

Old 11-19-2006, 04:26 PM   #11
    miche31
    Veteran
    (female)

I know it will work out, just really upset. I am not sure whether to take tonight's dose, or just quit again for now. I am so tired of living this way, I really want to feel better, not worse. I know that sometimes side effects can be worse for the first few weeks, but like you said, these are pretty severe side effects. With having SVT, I don't like my heart racing. I have a huge medicine phobia, no wonder. I don't know what to do, jeez I hate to be a quitter after two days, but if I wake up one more day the way I did this morning, I will lose it. I felt manic, bad. Even right now my legs are super restless.
    I took Lexapro for two days last week, and got very very sick when I started it. But the Dr. said he thinks I just developed an upper respiratory infection, because the entire town I'm in has the same exact thing, and it was coincidence that they happened when I took Lexapro. But I do remember Lexapro really lowered my hr and bp, bad, so I knew I would have to not take my night dose of bb if I took it again. It also gave me night sweats, which I hate, because I've been having hot flashes as it is. Did you experience any side effects when you very first started Lexapro?
    Michelle

Old 11-19-2006, 05:36 PM   #12
    teacher2be
    Veteran
    (female)

teacher2be HB User

when i started lexapro the first time i started it with atenolol so its hard to say what side effects were from what. i remember being tingly, lightheaded and a little anxious at first. you sound exactly like me when i did the zoloft this past week. i only took 4 doses but every time i took a dose it was a struggle to really take it or not. i just kept thinking give it one more try maybe tommorow i will feel better, maybe. then after 4th day i had had enough, and on the 5th day i flushed the whole bottle. i have felt much better since. if the zoloft doesn't work for you and you decide not to do the lexapro again remember there are other drugs out there. i know its hard to even think about trying another medicine. i know nothing about the other medicines just what i have read on here from what other people write. the way i looked at the zoloft was this i knew other people were saying "you have to give the drug 2 weeks for the side effects to go away and for it to really start working", but if your only on day 2,3,or 4 and you feel that bad to me i thought something isn't right, this is not working for my body. there is no reason when we are already anxious to have to take something and become worse. to me it was a way of my body saying "this is not the right drug for me". but i know everyone is different, and some people can tolerate thngs better than i can. good luck with your decision and just do what you think is right for your body.

Closed Thread