It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• PLZ HELP I am new and have questions about Lexapro Zanax & Klonazepam!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-23-2006, 08:40 PM   #1
    momoftwo27
    (female)

momoftwo27 HB User
    Exclamation PLZ HELP I am new and have questions about Lexapro Zanax & Klonazepam!

I have suffered with severe and constant anxiety and panic attacks since May 2006.At that time I was taking Seriquel. I tried paxil & adivan for 1-2 weeks but those did not work for me at all! I believe it was the adivan. Anyway… It all started out with shortness of breath...I thought I had asthma. I was told oh it is "just anxiety". I started to feel tightness in my chest, insomnia for 2-3 days at a time, desensitized, numbness thought out my whole body, couldn’t each, woke up in the middle of the night soaking wet with sweat. It got really bad in July when admitted myself to the Crisis Center where there I choose to attended a partial hospital program. Which was really great. I learned A LOT more about my condition. I have been with the same Dr. Since July and am really getting frustrated. She started me out on Lexapro 10 mg after a few months up to 20 mg stating we may have to give this med more time to work and just 3 days ago she increased my Lexapro prescription to 30mg! I am wondering if this is too high?? This has been going on for the past 6 months. For the past 2 days I can hardly get out of bed in the morning I feel comfortably numb and very depressed. I told her the lexapro may not be working for me and asked to switch to something else. I also told her I feel like I have been living off of the Zanax and kolonapin. I had been taking the Zanax every 4-5 hours for 5-6 months and am worried I am addicted. I get very bad headaches and get shaky where my hands really tremble. I also take 0.5 mg of Klonazapam at bedtime. Any advice would be helpful! I am really considering asking for a referral to a different Dr. I do start Therapy in 2 weeks which may be helpful.

Write your plans in pencil but give God the
    eraser.- Unknown

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2006, 11:49 PM   #2
    sandollar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sandollar HB User
    Re: PLZ HELP I am new and have questions about Lexapro Zanax & Klonazepam!

HI,
    I have been dealing with this for 13 years and 2 nervous breakdowns later, I finally think I have it together. You have alot of good points, First of all, I answered your other post. As for the Doctor it is the same as with any illness, sometimes it takes different doctors and different medication trials to find the one that is right for you. You have 2 choices, speak frankly with your doctor (after all, your paying them to work for you!) If they don't listen, find another.
    Same as the meds, If one doesn't work or the side effects cause you to want to stop taking it, then try another.

It's a process that takes time and I do mean time to understand and to find a caring Doctor who will listen and who will also take you for your word and try something else.

There is going to be some trial and error, but keep in mind, the doctor is trying new meds, the same as you. Once they get to a point they don't think it is working and your still complaining, they usually try you on something else.
    But it takes about a good month for the side effects and the sleepiness, etc to go away and actually see if this one is working before trying another.

Everyone with this illness, has good and bad experiences with finding what is right for them.
    Sometimes you go though the bad to get to the good, other times it's just a first try and the meds work great.

I do want to mention your concern about what you call an addiction. First off, I told my Doctor the same thing. And he informed me that it is NOT an addiction, it is a DEPENDENCY, an addiction is where you go out on the streets and get it illegally, by any means possible. A dependency is a need for a certain drug. Look at it this way: If this was a heart medication causing you to feel this way when your dose was late or missed, you would just take it and forget it, knowing it was needed. The same goes for Xanax and other meds of it's kind. My Medical report states I have a 13 yr DEPENDENCY on Xanax, so when I have had to have Surgery, they see my chart and immediatly start my meds again when I wake up.

The only thing I don't understand is why you are taking Xanax AND Klonapin? they are basically the same thing.

Also, have you checked to see if the trembling is caused by your increase in meds? If so, it should pass, look up it's side effects and learn about what you are taking and the effects it has, it will help alot. Not knowing and worrying if you are addicted to something can possibly cause Anxiety Attacks that you don't need!
    I hope this helped and answered some of your questions.
    StarDust

Old 11-26-2006, 07:27 AM   #3
    Sustasha
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sustasha HB User
    Smile Re: PLZ HELP I am new and have questions about Lexapro Zanax & Klonazepam!

You have to face it that your meds are Not working. If Klonopin and xanax are the SAME , there is NO reason to take both, esp if they're not working.
    THE MORE BENZOS YOU TAKE THE WORSE YOU'LL GET. Your body chemistry is becoming dependent upon them and your dr. KNOWS it.
    My suggestion is to wean yourself off all drugs gradually. Like, go one day without taking anything. Examine your relationships; some people can drive us crazy. We need to avoid those people.
    Then try ProGest twice daily by Emerita. Keep taking the xanax every other day for a couple weeks, then every three days for a couple weeks and use the ProGest morning and night acc to the directions. I have a 21 year history of anxiety and since using ProGest I've not had ANY ANXIETY WHATSOEVER.
    Also, my daughter left the state
    This progesterone cream is even Better than you've heard. It's a life changer.

Old 11-26-2006, 08:21 AM   #4
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User

I felt the same way when I was on Lexapro. I ended up taking Klonopin because the Lexapro was so bad for me. She insisted I take it... wne to tnew doctor. He took me off lexapro gradually. Kept me on the klonopin .25 2 times a day. Then gradually took me off that. Started over. I am now on Celexa 40mg. I feel great!!!. He started me at 5mg for a weeek, then to 10mg for a month, 20mg for a month and now i am at 40. When I started out he put me a small dose of klonopin with it, then gradually took me off that again. I also have been following the Linden Program which I found was a great help to me. It has visualization exercises, which helps with sound sleep.

I would talk to your doctor and if you don;t feel comfortable with her switch immidiatly.

Take charge!

Let me know if you have any questions!

Old 11-26-2006, 07:44 PM   #5
    sandollar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sandollar HB User

I would suggest you do NOT go off your Xanax or Klonapin by yourself, the withdrawal symptoms include Seizures. Since I don't know your medical history and your doctor does, you should let them tell you how to go off them if that is what you want.
    My Mother has never had a seizure in her life until she tried going off the Benzo's alone.
    Please seek out your Doctor for help for that.
    StarDust

Old 11-26-2006, 08:22 PM   #6
    care_berry
    (female)

care_berry HB User

Hey there, sounds like these drugs really don't work for you. I suggest that you look into seeing a naturapathic doctor. I saw one and am now completely cured of panic attacks and anxiety that I had since I was ten. Find one that does saliva testing for hormonal imbalances. The one I saw did this and now I take a vitamin/herbal supplement for my adrenals and thyroid. I also use a natural progesterone cream as well. They are a complete miracle, I really have to say. Another important thing was also a change in diet. No gluten, dairy, sugar, corn, potatoes, etc. I feel great! I now eat plenty of organic chicken, turkey, and fish, as well as vegetables and berries. I was eating a diet that was way too acidic and now it is more alkaline...the way it should be. Since starting this, I have not had any anxiety or panic at all. That was at the beginning of September! Anyways, I hope this helps you a lot like it did for me. I am convinced that drugs aren't as helpful as more natural alternatives are. Good luck and keep us updated!

Old 12-05-2006, 07:23 PM   #7
    momoftwo27
    (female)

momoftwo27 HB User

Well I did go to see a different doctor after calling my psychiatrist. I told her scince she upped my Lexapro to 30 mg all I can do is sleep. I cannot get out of bed and I am way tooooo relaxed. (It kinda felt good) but I was to sedated! To the point where I couldn't function. After she told me she thinks I am more depressed than I may realize and that my husband & I didn't separate long enough I had enough with her. I went to see this new Dr. He said I was way too sedated. I is teaching me how to wean off the Alprazalam (generic for Zanax) He also said he was surprised she had me on 2 benzos Alprazalam & Kolonapin being they are very similar. Now I am suffering from air hunger. I did became dependant from taking alprazalam every 4-6 hours for 6 months now down to 2 a day. He said I cut back way to fast and the head aches are the worst!!! He said we may have to increase the dose a little. I am getting so frustrated about this. I never thought of my self as depressed I have plans and drives and look forward to things I am happy I believe I supper for from Panic Attacks & Anxiety. The air hunger is the worst. I feel as though I have to yawn to get a deep enough breath. My husband just ordered me Lucinda Bassett’s attacking anxiety program the other day any one else tried this program? Thanks for all the replies so far it is nice to know that I am not alone in this.

Last edited by ms_mod; 12-06-2006 at 06:56 AM.

Old 12-05-2006, 07:25 PM   #8
    momoftwo27
    (female)

momoftwo27 HB User

My mother goes to a woman which may be something like this. I belive she is all natural (homeopathic) remedies? My mom actually suggested just today I go to see this lady. My mom also has anxiety she does use that cream never really asked her if it helps I know nothing about it but thanks for the advice I may check into this.

Old 12-05-2006, 07:28 PM   #9
    momoftwo27
    (female)

momoftwo27 HB User

Yes; I noticed my body has been jerking and doing these strange involintary muscle spasm like movements. My neack, head, arms , legs ect. kinda scary.

Closed Thread