It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Does anyone else suffer from "health" anxiety?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-02-2006, 07:13 PM   #1
    Jen32
    (female)

Jen32 HB User
    Does anyone else suffer from "health" anxiety?

I am in a really bad place right now... I suffer from really bad health anxiety... I don't know, am I a hypochondriac? Anyway, I am sure there is something wrong with me... I am constantly worried about my health, and the fact that I must have a fatal disease... right now I'm very worried about a lump in my neck, and that it *must* be cancer. It's just killing me this weekend. My doc has told me not to worry about it... but I just can't stop.

I am really worried. Every pain I have just about sends me through the roof, and the pain is probably all in my head. I'm driving my DH crazy, and we're tense because of it. I want to cry all the time. I am scared to death. Does anyone else have a problem like this? Is there any hope for me at all?

My doc prescribed Lexapro for me, and gave me the name of a counselor specializing in anxiety... I'm calling her first thing on Monday. But I am afraid to take the Lexapro, for many reasons... none of which are logical.

I can't eat, sleep, or think straight... worst of all, I have 3 small children, and I'm really engulfed in this anxiety, and that is not good for any of us. Is anyone else suffering with anything like this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2006, 07:52 PM   #2
    confused32
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

confused32 HB User
    Re: Does anyone else suffer from "health" anxiety?

Yes there are many that suffer the same as you, myself being one of them. I worry everyday that i have heart disease and that a major heart attack is right around the corner for me. I have been this way everyday since March. Made several trips to the ER and doctors and they all assure me that my heart is fine other than i was told i have Mitral Valve Prolapse, which could cause alot of my symptoms. I was given a few different anti-depresants but never took any of them, i am to scared of the side effects. I do take a small dose of Ativan as needed and it does help. I go to an anxiety group once a week and that doesnt seem to be doing the job so i think i am going to seek a one one counseling. I have 3 kids and im a single mom so i worry about this all the time and worry about leaving my children. There are many days i dont want to get out of bed but i know i have to cause i am all they have. Read through some of the post on here, coming here and talking to people that suffer the same as i do does help knowing that your not alone and your not crazy. Hope you get to feeling better.

Old 12-03-2006, 09:19 PM   #3
    chad341
    (male)

chad341 HB User

im 33 have this problem at age 18,countless er visits,the only thing that ever helped me was xanax stared takeing .5 mg it does help u just get used to it after a while,im 33 now take 4mg a day to deal with this problem its truly hell on earth i no,

Old 12-03-2006, 10:46 PM   #4
    presson
    (female)

presson HB User

hi there
    i am similar but mainly with my heart and the PVCs and anxiety make it worse! i highly recommend existential therapy..it is a school of psychology largely focused on the meaning of life and awareness of mortality etc

Old 12-04-2006, 09:41 AM   #5
    seaMich
    (female)

seaMich HB User

I had some of this too. I did start taking Lexapro about 5 weeks ago and it has really helped me with the anxiety. If your dr prescribed it you should try it to see if it works for you. I started at a low dose and went up because I was worried about taking it too. There can be some side effects in the beginning, but stick it out because everyone I talked to has had them go away (including mine). I still worry about some health things, but not close to the level I was at before. Good luck!

Old 12-04-2006, 09:50 AM   #6
    bikesing
    (male)

bikesing HB User

Are you kidding?! This has been my number one anxiety it seems for most of my adult life! I go from worry to worry and so far all of them have been minor or unfounded. But in my mind they are all incredibly serious and I get very anxious about them. Right now I'm in the midst of a throat, esopagus, bronchial tube thing on the right side. I say all these 3 becuase I'm not sure what's going on. I have a tickle, or a feeling of a need to cougha nd I do cough but it's non productive. I also feel that when I eat, the food is hitting the same area. It's annoying becuase I feel a mild pressure or sensation on the right side of my chest roughly above the nipple line. Those are all the symptoms. I've been to the Dr. First, said it was allergy, mold, irritated bronchial tube. Gave me clariten and an inhaler. This did nothing. This was a month ago. A week before that I'd been poruing a cement pad and opened 10 bags of sacrete to do this and there was cement dust in the aire that I may have beathed in. This worried me when I started with the symptoms about 2-3 days after the work. Then last week I went back to the Dr, and got an antibiotic and had a chest x-ray on Thurs (yet to get the results, and of course and really worried about that!) and thought I was feeling better, but the cough sensation and other stuff is there again today. He said he thought it was adult pertussis (whooping cough). My anxiety gets really high about these things and I always think that the problem will never get better.

So, yes, I have health anxiety. I hate it. It's hard to control. You'e not alone!

Tom

Old 12-12-2006, 02:27 PM   #7
    fearyone
    (female)

fearyone HB User

i hope you are finding this website as helpful as i am. i too suffer from "health" anxiety. once i begin focusing on an illness my anxiety turns into a whirlwind and i start up with anxiety feelings which is hard to come out of. i just went through health anxiety the last two weeks and after a lot of money spent at doctor visits i have finally accepted it is my anxiety creeping up on me again.
    i wish you well...
    God Bless

Old 12-13-2006, 12:30 PM   #8
    maxeens
    (female)

maxeens HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by seaMich
    I had some of this too. I did start taking Lexapro about 5 weeks ago and it has really helped me with the anxiety. If your dr prescribed it you should try it to see if it works for you. I started at a low dose and went up because I was worried about taking it too. There can be some side effects in the beginning, but stick it out because everyone I talked to has had them go away (including mine). I still worry about some health things, but not close to the level I was at before. Good luck!
    I am new here-how long did you have to be on the increased dose of lexapro before you saw results? I was increased 2 wks ago and my anxiety has worsened and now depression is thrown in! thanks-maseens

Old 12-13-2006, 02:07 PM   #9
    Islandzoo
    (female)

Islandzoo HB User

Hi, I'm new

Yep, This is one of my main problems. I am terrified of being ill actually. I'm terrified of getting cancer or some other fatal disease, I have IBS anyway, but it's caused by my anxiety, and yet fuels it as well, like a vicious circle.
    I am so scared of being ill all the time that not surprisingly I constantly feel unwell. If I feel vaguely unwell at any given time (which is most of the time these days), I get so worried that I feel sick, feint/dizzy and really ill, but I'm sure there's nothing really wrong.
    I have a lump on my neck too, that the doc said is a sebacious cyst, and funny enough when it comes up I tend to get a bit of acne as well, so I do believe this, it's in the same place I got bitten by a dog many years ago - but a part of me is terrified it's something worse.
    I've spent so much time at the doctor's they're sick of the sight of me! I didn't know where else to turn and stumbled upon this forum.

Old 12-13-2006, 03:01 PM   #10
    fearyone
    (female)

fearyone HB User

i'm going through one of those moments. i am really concerned with my constant throat clearing. do i have oral cancer? postnasal drip? i have a dr appt tomorrow. i'm frightened. just when i thought i was getting better, i started up again with my anxieties...

Old 12-13-2006, 04:45 PM   #11
    stehieb1993
    (female)

stehieb1993 HB User

hey there I have recently been diagnosed with health anxiety, it is horrifying. I have 4 children I am afraid of the next panic attack I dont want them to see me this way. I fear I have some strange disease and they are not finding it. I have had 2 MRI's and nothing has been found they have done several blood workups, thyroid, blood counts, liver counts, they even checked for lymes disease and still nothing. I see alot of floaters in my eyes and I dont like that. I am dizzy 90 percent of the time. I stand still and I feel like some one has a string they are pulling me backwards. The doctor said I probably have meineirs disease and vertigo and I wil have to live with it but it is driving me crazy. I try to be strong annd deal with it but it is hard most days, The doctor just put me on a medicine called effexor, he put me on a 75 milagram dose and I have had a few side affedts and that is making me nervous to. I seem to be having more panic attacks and they are more severe but they said that would happen til my body gets used to it. Well hope this will help and someone can tell me about their effects with effexor. thanks hang in there

Old 12-13-2006, 04:59 PM   #12
    seaMich
    (female)

seaMich HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxeens
    I am new here-how long did you have to be on the increased dose of lexapro before you saw results? I was increased 2 wks ago and my anxiety has worsened and now depression is thrown in! thanks-maseens
    In the beginning I too had increased anxiety and even a panick attack when I first started taking it. I took 5mg for 2 days then went up to 10 and my anxiety was worse on 10 and I had lots of side effects for about 4 days then I started feeling better and went up to 10 after a week. Going from 10-15 and 15-20 wasnt bad at all. And now that I have leveled out at 20 for some time it is great!! I really feel so much better!! Stick with it if you can- almost everyone I heard from when I started said it got better and it did for me. Good luck!

Old 12-13-2006, 05:21 PM   #13
    teacher2be
    Veteran
    (female)

teacher2be HB User

THANK GOODNESS there is people like me. i worry myself to death over the same things. i too have IBS and anxiety and panick attacks (i think), little ocd, mitral valve prolapse (which i am always worried with heart beat), and fibromyalgia. i am so scared of getting cancer. if i have strange pains i catch myself looking up symptoms on internet seeing what i might have. i fear a day that i might be diagnosed with cancer i think my heart will probably give out from worrying to death about it. i am always thinking"what is this pain, what could it have to do with, do you think something is really wrong). it drives me nuts sometimes because i feel i probably am a hypochodriac, because i am always thinking about my health. isn't that what they do? i don't know.

Old 12-14-2006, 09:25 AM   #14
    itburns2004
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

itburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB User

It is going to be alright. Take one minute at a time and breath slow. One out of four people have visited where you are right now. I would suggest a full exam, including your thyroid! Check your thyroid. Then, if you can, start to drink distilled water, drink a lot ( at least 8 full glasses a day).Every medicine has side effescts. You need to function so keep that in mind. When you do calm down a bit, I would suggest a diet overhaul. Sugars and yeast can cause havoc in your body. Your body needs help to function properly! It is not hype. You need a really good potent multivitamin and extra vitamin B's and c. It helps your nerves and adrenals function while your body is having the panic/anxiety attacks. They are exhausting on your system. If you can, pick a tiny project around the house to focus on. If you can. Even if it cleaning out a drawer! Every day do another little project, you can do it. Do not lay down all day and hone in your thoughts, this is sabatoge on yourself. Take on minute at a time and before you know it time will pass, and you will slowly come back to yourself. Even if it is just going through the motions, try and go about your daily routines. STAY AWAY from caffiene. Good luck.

Old 12-14-2006, 12:56 PM   #15
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by seaMich
    In the beginning I too had increased anxiety and even a panick attack when I first started taking it. I took 5mg for 2 days then went up to 10 and my anxiety was worse on 10 and I had lots of side effects for about 4 days then I started feeling better and went up to 10 after a week. Going from 10-15 and 15-20 wasnt bad at all. And now that I have leveled out at 20 for some time it is great!! I really feel so much better!! Stick with it if you can- almost everyone I heard from when I started said it got better and it did for me. Good luck!
    Have you had any weight gain on effexor?

Closed Thread