It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Skipped heart beat (scared)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-04-2006, 05:08 PM   #1
    nabyou
    (male)

nabyou HB User
    Skipped heart beat (scared)

I got this feeling today of a skipped heart beat and it happened about 3-4 times in a row within a few second that freaked me out, I am thinking this arrhythmia , Now I am scarred, can someone tell me that I am being irrational.

Do you get these feelings, how long dose it last ? how many times a day ?. Please reply. Thanks for your support

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2006, 05:14 PM   #2
    Barbara_Ann
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User
    Re: Skipped heart beat (scared)

According to Dr. Claire Weeks that wrote that book Hope and Help For Your Nerves there is no such thing as a skipped heart beat. Your heart may be a little irregular but it doesn't miss a beat.

I thought I was experiencing the same thing - found out that it was spasms due to nerves. Your heart is a muscle and can have spasms too.

The spasms don't show up on ekg's or monitors. Have your doc listen to it.
    Doubt that you have anything to worry about. Scarey heart feelings just goes with the territory because we are so super sensitized to listening to our bodies.

Good luck and hope this will help calm you some.

Old 12-04-2006, 05:36 PM   #3
    presson
    (female)

presson HB User

they are called PVCs do a search on the anxiety and heart boards here there's heaps of info.
    i get them every night and am trying to not focus on them too much!

Old 12-04-2006, 09:46 PM   #4
    Pokey2
    (female)

Pokey2 HB User

I used to have these all night long ,and yes, scared me to death ,too. I could not sleep, and I would feel out of breath sometimes, too. It started with me through the change and with anxiety it makes it worse.
    At one time years ago I wore a halter monitor, and had tests.
    Hang in there.

Old 12-05-2006, 02:01 AM   #5
    isitme
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

isitme HB Userisitme HB User

Anxiety causes them. The more you think about it, the more it will happen. Nothing to worry about at all, but yes, it is worrying the first time it happens.

Old 12-05-2006, 04:28 AM   #6
    Jovach51
    (female)

Jovach51 HB User

I was having them frequently myself. I saw my doctor and she did an ekg to check my heart, which was fine. Then she preceded to ask me questions. When I told her that I was worried about my mom and aunt (long story so won't get into it), she said that I was experiencing anxiety attacks. She gave me Xanax (low dose) to take at bedtime when needed. Stress brings it on.

My advice is to see your doctor if you still feel scared to be on the safe side. Otherwise, it is probably due to stress and anxiety.

Hope you feel better soon.

Old 12-05-2006, 03:00 PM   #7
    tnmomofive
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tnmomofive HB User

Like another posted stated they are PVC's (Premature Ventricular Contractions).You can look that up if you want.I have them too took a few tries using a holter monitor from my doctor to catch and record some of the suckers.I sometimes just have very few within a month and other times I can have them all night for a few weeks.If you are that worried ask your doctor for a holter monitor or event recorder but chances are they are harmless.I was told they are of no real concern by my doctor.Yes anxiety and stress will trigger them.Another thing that is reassuring is that most people have them!Some just notice them more then others and some have them more often.Some people take beta blockers for them and it helps them and some the anxiety medications help.While others just try to avoid triggers like caffiene can be a big PVC trigger.

Old 12-05-2006, 07:23 PM   #8
    nabyou
    (male)

nabyou HB User

Thank you very much everyone.

Closed Thread