It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• How do you ditch social anxiety for a few hours fast?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-16-2006, 05:49 AM   #1
    FeludaX
    (male)

FeludaX HB User
    How do you ditch social anxiety for a few hours fast?

I don't know how I got myself into this, but I did. Here's a quick rundown. I've had social anxiety since I was a preteen as far as I can recall. I'm now 30 and it's still a part of me, one I still hope to work out... things have gotten a bit better but I still have trouble opening up to strangers. I stopped doing the club and party scene a long time ago, partly because my social life isn't that hoppin' and I haven't had the opportunities, but also because I'm jaded with the scene. I don't have fun unless I drink a lot and I don't like to drink. It's just not my thing.

Anyway, yesterday, a friend of mine who I've been talking to about doing video projects calls me and asks if I'd like to help with something. I've been wanting to work on projects so I can eventually move into that field, so generally I'm willing to work on most everything. This friend just moved to the U.S. a few months ago, and he has a thick accent. I haven't had trouble understanding him in person but over the phone it can be a struggle. So as he was explaining this project, I didn't understand everything he said, and I didn't want to keep asking him to repeat himself, and what I understood didn't sound so bad. I had the idea that we'd be interviewing an amatuer comedian and putting it up on a website. He says it's supossed to happen "tomorrow night" which would be tonight by the time I'm writing this, but that he wanted to try and do it another night. So I figured with the schedule being that flexible, this is small time stuff. He'd mentioned something about a website but I thought he was just giving me background on what the person who asked him to do this project did. So I said, sure, I'll help, again thinking it was a simple little thing.

Later he calls me and tells me the the schedule is not flexible, the date is fixed. And he tells me the names of the comedians. I won't tell you their names, but you've probably heard of them. Okay, so now I'm interviewing celebrities. I was taken aback... this project suddenly sounded much bigger than I understood it to be. Maybe these celebrities had big heads and would be put off by working with amatuers. My friend told me he told his friend who is organizing it, that I'd be great for doing this. Why, I don't know. He was just BSing. But I was still interested in doing it just for the experience. So I said I would be available tomorrow (tonight) to help.

Then my friend emailed me with more details about what we are supposed to do. Apparently, interviewing these celebrities may not happen. Someone is going to try to arrange it, but the interview is supposed to take place at a VIP party following their show. The main part of what we are supposed to do, it seems, is going around, talking to people at the party, a "VIP party", asking them about the website, and asking them to say a catchphrase to plug the website.

WHAT?!?!?!

It's would just be a challenge for me to meet people and not feel like I don't belong, but to go around talking to as many people as I can about something that sounds completely idiotic TO ME and to get them to say some dumb catchphrase... what the hell did I get myself into here?

First of all, if I have to crawl out of my skin just to help plug a website, shouldn't I get paid to do it. There's a lot of video projects I'd do for free, but this sounds entirely unappealing to me. I mean, if I were at this party I wouldn't want to be bothered by someone asking them to plug a website. And I certainly don't want to be the person bothering them. And a VIP Party no less... these people probably think pretty highly of themselves. Not that they should, but this doesn't sound like an easy sell even if I didn't think it was stupid.

My first instinct was to tell him I didn't understand what he meant, and that I don't want to do this. And I'd feel bad about that. Maybe I should have made sure I understood what he meant before I agreed, but I did think I had some kind of understanding about what it was we were supposed to do, so I didn't ask for clarification. Turns out I was way off. I hope he would understand that when I agreed, I thought it was supposed to be something completely different.

Then part of me is thinking... maybe this would be a good challenge for me to conquer my social anxiety. If I can get through this, maybe I'd realize it wasn't so difficult to talk to people after all. Can I do this? Completely transform myself? Maybe the fact that this seemed completely stupid to me would help me pull myself out of my shell, because it will be the only way for me to get through the night.

I have no idea. Sorry this post is so long. I'm posting here for advice from people who understand what social anxiety is like.

Last edited by FeludaX; 12-16-2006 at 06:37 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2006, 08:24 AM   #2
    ocdengineer
    Inactive
    (male)

ocdengineer HB User
    Re: How do you ditch social anxiety for a few hours fast?

I would go for strictly personal reasons and see if I could handle it. I said to someone last night, that if you don't feel like doing it, then you should. The more you do this, the more confident you will be. Anyway, you may actually meet some celebrities and also help a friend out plugging a web site. It could be a good time, so go for it and relax. I am not sure what your profession is, but is this a place where you could meet some contacts for what you want to do? If so, there is another reason to go.

Be prepared to do some breathing on the way because you will probably be nervous, but in my experience, getting there is the hardest part, once you are there you will probably relax a little and enjoy yourself.

Go for it.

Old 12-16-2006, 11:43 AM   #3
    FeludaX
    (male)

FeludaX HB User
    Re: How do you ditch social anxiety for a few hours fast?

Thanks for the response. I told my friend my concerns (I said I probably wouldn't be good at getting people to talk) and we are switching roles for that part of the project. I'll be doing the camera. But I'd still do the interviews if they happen. So it should work out well.

Closed Thread