It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• anyone taken lexapro or xanax

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-17-2006, 06:21 AM   #1
    stefania224
    (female)

stefania224 HB User
    anyone taken lexapro or xanax

please share your story with me...ive been prescribed both but scared to take either...lol...please share what happened and if they helped

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2006, 06:38 AM   #2
    ocdengineer
    Inactive
    (male)

ocdengineer HB User
    Re: anyone taken lexapro or xanax

I can only tell you about Xanax since that is all I take. It is an amazing anti-anxiety drug from the Benzo family of drugs. It works very quick within 15 minutes. Quicker on an empty stomach. I used to have horrible anxiety every day and I would wake up every morning with a stomach ache. Xanax has almost completely eliminated both. For the first 3 days I was a little drowsy and every time I increased my dose from there I was also a little drowsy, but the drowsiness goes away. Other than that I have experienced no side effects from that drug and most will tell you that there are very few side effects.

The only problem is that if you take it long term you need to beware that your body will build up a dependancy to it. So, when and if you decide to stop taking it, you will have to do so very gradually so that you don't have withdrawl from the drug. Also, it doesn't do anything for long term anxiety, so when you stop taking it expect to still have anxiety dissorder. If you quit cold turkey you could have really bad side effects that could land you in a hospital, so don't quit without a doctor's help and make sure that you taper off very slowly over a long period of time.

I will probably take it for life because it is the only drug that I have found that actually decreases my anxiety. Antidepressants only made things worse for me. It is not addictive, you will not build up a tolerance once you reach your specific dose, so don't worry about having to take more and more. You will have to increase initially to get to that specific dose if you are going to take it long term. Most of the time the doctor will use it to combat the initial anxiety that the antidepressant will produce as a short term fix. However, if you read up about how it was designed to be used, that is not it and you may find yourself weaning off Xanax and sticking with an SSRI or other drug that doesn't make you feel any better.

I have heard some good things about Lexapro, but there has been more negative feedback than positive from my perspective.

I would suggest you try it and if you don't feel better within a few weeks consider and change of plans. Medication is 99% trial and error, so it may take some time to find a combo that works for you.

Take care.

Old 12-17-2006, 04:06 PM   #3
    stefania224
    (female)

stefania224 HB User

thank you so much for your time...are you saying you suggest i try lexapro for a few weeks???i think i might...i mean id rather take that...cause i have long term anxiety i believe...but your saying i could take xanax with lexapro at first if i have anxiety from taking something(of course talk to my dr.) but i think i might do that...i got big problems and i cant enjoy life or go out or do anything cause i fear something will happen to me...
    but im scared lexapro and any drug for that matter will make me freak out ya know...cause that is how i am...ugh....i dont know

Old 12-17-2006, 04:40 PM   #4
    ocdengineer
    Inactive
    (male)

ocdengineer HB User

Yea, do exactly what you rdoctor told you to do. You may not experience immediate relief, in fact it may make things worse in the short term, but supposedly Lexapro will help in the long run. I would read some of the stuff on this board about Lexapro. Others have taken it and have experience with it. I only know Xanax and it works really well, so speak with some other people about it and see what they say about the Lexapro.

Again, it may take some time before you actually find a combo or drug that wil work for you. I know esxactly how you feel and hope you find your solution quickly.

Old 12-17-2006, 04:57 PM   #5
    Daniel123456
    (male)

Daniel123456 HB User

I have a question:
    I have been taking lexapro for about two months approx 40mg.
    I also have been taking xanax approx 2mg
    Is it possible for me to become very angry at different periods of times. during the course of the work day while dealing with others - because of there performance.

Old 12-17-2006, 08:23 PM   #6
    worriertwo
    (male)

worriertwo HB User

I started Lexapro and Xanax on the same day about 4 weeks ago for some temporary (hopefully) healthy anxiety issues. My GP said I needed them for now so I have been taking them. He put me on 10mg of Lexapro and gave me .25 mg tablets of Xanax for 2 months. The Lexapro, as with all SSRI's does have some side effects during the first few weeks while your body adjusts to them (nausea, headache, generally feeling lousy for a short while several hours after taking it) but they should go away (mine are almost gone). Except for the side effects, you won't notice any sort of mental change or anything. SSRI's work over time, not right away. Also, if you start it then decide to stop, you should taper of of it by decreasing your dose over a few weeks. Don't quit "cold turkey". Your brain would not like that and could possibly respond with more side effects.

Regarding the Xanax, it has a different method of working so does not react with the Lexapro. I take 1 or 1 1/2 tabs before bed and I get sleepy within a half hour. Great stuff. Really does relieve anxiety without making you numb or goofy or anything like that. Nothing to fear about how it feels...it is very calming. Like I said, I just get sleepy. I also took one during the day a few times while at work and it did not affect my work at all. I can't speak to the addictive nature of it as I do not plan on taking it much longer. No issues so far though. Everyone is different but I can't imagine anyone "freaking out", as you put it, on these drugs. Hope you feel better.

Last edited by ms_mod; 12-18-2006 at 09:44 AM.

Closed Thread