It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• high cortisol

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-28-2006, 08:59 PM   #1
    cathydownunder
    (female)

cathydownunder HB User
    high cortisol

Has anyone who's suffering anxiety been checked for high cortisol?
    I've been a sufferer for many years, sometimes manageable, sometimes not.
    Rcently my pain management doc ordered a salivary hormone profile and the results were a bit scary. My testosterone level was very high and my cortisol (stress) hormone level was extremely high, (all 4 times) especially in the evening when it should be low. This would explain why I'm most anxious late afternoon and evening when there's no need to be and why I can't fall asleep or stay asleep.
    So, just wanted to say that sometimes there is an actual physical reason for anxiety and stress. I suspect I have Adrenal Fatigue now where the cortisol is switched on permanently, a continuous adrenaline release. Unfortunately, it's the continual worrying/anxiety that caused the burnout in the first place so it's a viscious cycle.
    So far, there seems no magic cure but I'm working on it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2006, 06:25 AM   #2
    bratforlife
    (female)

bratforlife HB User
    Re: high cortisol

Did they put you on anything for it or tell you anything to do... I often wonder about this because I am stressed alot and carry fat around my belly more so then any where else....

Old 12-31-2006, 04:05 PM   #3
    jodianne
    (female)

jodianne HB User

Hi,
    I suffer from anxiety and depression, but mostly anxiety. I was on Serzone
    for years and did well, that's an antidepressant, however it was discontinued
    by the manufacturer and I can't seem to tolerate other AD's. I recently
    went to an alternative doc. He did the Cortisol test and found that my
    Cortisol was high in the morning and late afternoon. To me this accounted
    for my waking up with more feelings of anxiety. Anxiety is always worse in
    the morning. He recommended and I just started Seriphos (Magnesium,
    Calcium, Phosphoros, L-Serine). I was to take 6 capsules a day, am only
    taking 3 to start, this is to lower the Cortisol level as I understand it. I do
    feel a difference in the morning with the anxiety and will now go to 4 caps
    and then 5 and then 6. Also gave me Adreset for adrenal support (Cordyceps, Asian Ginseng, rhodiola). Just started that yesterday so I can't
    really say at this point what that will do for me. It is to give me more
    stamina, energy and help me to handle stress better.
    Hope this is a help to you, let me know what you think.
    Jodianne

Old 12-31-2006, 04:20 PM   #4
    Barbara_Ann
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User

Thanks for this post - I'm a very firm believer that not all anxiety and panic is stress and emotionally caused. In many instances the emotions (anxiety, panic) and the suseptibility to stress is a bi-product of something physically wrong such as cortisol in your case and thyroid in mine.

Physical health problems can literally set off your adrenalin level and throw you in to mild to severe anxiety/panic.

Thanks again

Old 01-01-2007, 08:50 PM   #5
    cathydownunder
    (female)

cathydownunder HB User

Currently I'm taking samE and a naturopathic product called Phosphatidylserine, 1 at night. It's supposed to support the nervous system.
    I'm a big believer in natural alternatives where possible. The drawbacks are that they're usually very expensive and often take a long time to "kick in", as opposed to prescription meds.
    I might look into an adrenal support med as well.

Closed Thread