It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• The best SSRI?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-30-2006, 10:17 PM   #1
    Fiona84
    (female)

Fiona84 HB User
    The best SSRI?

Hi everyone,

My anxiety has been really bad recently. It
    s not even really health anxiety as usual---instead, I am terrified about everyone and everything else. I just have a horribible sense of dread all of the time. I keep thinking something awful is about to happen. I hate it.

My doctor put me on Zoloft a few months ago and I went off it after 8 days. It made me feel out of it, like I couldn't really feel any emotion. My doctor still thinks I should take something...I have been adamant I don't need it...but now, I think I can admit I do.:-(

So, my question is this. Which of the SSRI's seems to have the best effect and tolerance? I know everyone reacts differently, but I would like some sort of idea of which one to try next....since I hated Zoloft.

I am scared to try Wellbutrin because of the small chance of seizures.

Thanks everyone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2006, 08:51 AM   #2
    ocdengineer
    Inactive
    (male)

ocdengineer HB User
    Re: The best SSRI?

I haven't found one that made me feel better. In fact, most made me feel much worse, so i won't take any and stick to anti-anxiety drugs like Xanax. I have taken: Paxil, Prozac, Wellbutrin, Remeron, Zoloft, Buspar and more probably that I don't remember. Buspar is the only drug that didn't make me feel like crap, but it didn't make me feel better either and to be fair it is in a different class of medication specifically for anxiety. Many poeple have found success with anti-depressants, but usually need to take a Benzo to get through the initial side effects. Once the Xanax is stopped you will find out whether it is working or not, and you may need to change if you find it isn't working. It is a large trial and error process that can take years. If you want immediate relief though consider a Benzo. You will have to find a doctor that specializes in anxiety dissorders though otherwise you will be hard pressed to get a prescription due to the drug's bad rap due to street addicts who take ridiculous amounts of it and end up having seizures or die. The same could happen with SSRI's, but the SSRI's won't give you a buzz, so they have no street value, but nobody seems to care about that.

Anyway, good luck. Find a good doctor who you trust and ask him to explain the pros and cons of each medication to you so you know ahead of time.

Take care,
    OE

Old 01-01-2007, 11:51 PM   #3
    Fiona84
    (female)

Fiona84 HB User

Thanks, I really appreciate your insight.

I guess I'm scared to take a benzo or anything like it because I'm worried I will become dependent on it. Also, I don't really have anxiety attacks, just constant anxiety, so I wouldn't know when and how to take a drug like Xanax!

Sounds like you've tried a fair few of the anxiety meds. Unfortunately I read stories like yours all too often.

Is there really even much of a difference between the SSRIs? I've been doing online research but its hard to come across informatino that isnt either sponsored by the drug or really negative!

Old 01-02-2007, 03:20 AM   #4
    ocdengineer
    Inactive
    (male)

ocdengineer HB User

Well, they all work in a similar fashion, but they are all pretty different and come with their own list of side effects. This is why it can be very difficult to actually come up with a med that works for you in a short period of time. It may take months of trial and error or even years before you find one that works because SSRI's take at least 4 weeks to demonstrate their true effectivity. Unfortunately, the side effects come much sooner and I have never lasted long enough to see whether any may work for me long term. Don't be fooled into thinking that SSRI's aren't just as bad as Benzo's in the dependancy category either. Paxil and Effexor have caused some pretty nasty withdrawl symptoms in people that rival that of any Benzo and may be even worse. Buspar is a relatively weak and side effect free anti-anxiety medication that may help you. I was never very fair and didn't give it a chance either but I never got any horrible side effects from it, however, it is definitely not as effective as the Benzo's in treating anxiety. Drugs are a tough decision and you may want to look at it from the perspective of the constantly medicated. These things aren't usually temporary. Anxiety dissorder doesn't usually just go away with time. There is an 85% chance of relapse in anxiety patients which is ridiculously high, so permanant drugs is probably going to be part of a long term solution. There are other things to try first though.

Quite smoking, drinking, any drugs including caffeine (big one)
    eat well
    exercise (really helps)
    meditate or CBT

Kava Kava
    Valerian
    Melatonin
    B complex vitamins
    etc.

These things may help you and are worth trying first, but if all else fails, then medication may be your only solution and will require some real soul searching. And the help of a doctor who doesn't just see you as another person with anxiety, but wants to help you personally. Find someone who is willing to sit down with you and explain the side effects of the medicine and has experience with your particular anxiety dissorder.

Good luck,
    OE

Old 01-02-2007, 05:12 AM   #5
    ICC
    Inactive
    (female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

I agree. ievery SSRI i have taken has made me more anxious. I take klonopin as needed. sometimes i need 2-3 a day and sometimes for months i don't take them at all. it is the only med that has worked for me. xanax does nothing, ativan depresses me and makes me cry and valium makes me vomit.
    Best of luck,
    ICC

Closed Thread