It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Opinions on Celexa

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-11-2007, 10:12 AM   #1
    twells
    (female)

twells HB User
    Opinions on Celexa

I realize everyone is different, so I'm asking opinions. My doctor asked me to consider taking Paxil or Zoloft. She seemed only to consider those two because I exhibit more anxiety symptoms than depression. At least that's my understanding of what she was saying (why she wasn't considering anything else.) I was really worried about the weight gain side effect possibility, so I argued with her about it. She went ahead and gave me the presciption. She said she'd just start me with a low dose. I didn't fill it for over a month. When I finally got it filled, it turned out to be Celexa. I don't know if she changed her mind at the last minute or what.

So I'm asking your opinion on:

Why only Zoloft or Paxil and any thoughts on why it ended up being Celexa?

Does Celexa have weight gain as a side effect?

It's only a 10mg dose. Is that enough to make any difference?

Thanks for your input.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2007, 12:31 PM   #2
    Timber
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User
    Re: Opinions on Celexa

10mg of Celexa helped me tremendously for 5 years. Yes, weight gain can be a side effect.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:19 PM   #3
    Barbara_Ann
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User

Hi twells

As far as why did your doc change from zoloft to celexa, she probably didn't actually. My doctor's prescription forms read at the very bottom "may be filled with generic brand" if insurance won't pay for the name brand. My doctor actually prescribed zoloft initially but insurance would only pay for celexa. Did you read the prescription and did it really say celexa?

I was on celexa for 5 1/2 months and stopped taking it because I was experiencing very negative side effects. The first three months weren't bad but around the end of the third month I noticed that I was getting angry easily, very verbally confrontational, and stewing about small things all day. That is not me at all. Doctor prescribed me zoloft again and this time around the insurance paid it. They want you to "try" the generic brands first. Jerks. Any way, I took the zoloft for a week and got off it - cold turkey off all anti-depressants. The zoloft was triggering very "anxious" feelings off and on through out the day, I was gritting teeth during sleep, and having very weird dreams.

The celexa did not cause me to gain weight. When I went off it I immediately put on 5 pounds that I cannot seem to shake no matter what I do. I've been off anti-depressants for about 1 1/2 months and feel great. I only had situational depression anyway. The situation is corrected so I really don't need them now.

Last edited by Barbara_Ann; 01-11-2007 at 06:21 PM.

Old 01-12-2007, 07:02 AM   #4
    Timber
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Barbara_Ann
    My doctor's prescription forms read at the very bottom "may be filled with generic brand" if insurance won't pay for the name brand.
    need them now.
    That doesn't make any sense. The generic version of Zoloft is sertraline, not Celexa. Celexa is an entirely different drug whose generic version is citalopram. A pharmacist would absolutely not be allowed to substitute Celexa for Zoloft.

Old 01-12-2007, 09:25 AM   #5
    twells
    (female)

twells HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timber
    That doesn't make any sense. The generic version of Zoloft is sertraline, not Celexa. Celexa is an entirely different drug whose generic version is citalopram. A pharmacist would absolutely not be allowed to substitute Celexa for Zoloft.
    I'm sure you are correct. Celexa is the brand name. The generic would be citalopram. I'll just see how it goes and ask the doc at my follow up why she changed her mind between the time we were talking and the time she wrote the script. I just get curious.

Old 01-12-2007, 06:16 PM   #6
    Barbara_Ann
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User

oops sorry - you're right Timber.

I got the situation confused - it was my blood pressure that they filled with generic version instead of what was actually prescribed because of wording on the bottom of prescription form.

The insurance wouldn't pay the zoloft initially but would pay for celexa so that's how I ended up on it. Duh, tupid me lol

However, my experience was not good on either. I did get that part right. Of course each person's experience will be unique. Some people do well on them, I didn't.

I stand corrected, my apologies twells

Old 01-15-2007, 02:16 PM   #7
    jlsp
    (female)

jlsp HB Userjlsp HB User

Barbara, I was so glad to read your post about celexa. I was on Paxil for 8 years, then they switched me to Celexa as my depression was more or less post tramatic years ago...but got so addicted to the paxil that I couldn't wean off without horrid detox side effects which we all know about. Anyway, I have been on the celexa for about 5 months myself and suddenly it began making extremely ill so I quit cold turkey seven days ago and so far, I have no side effects. I am wondering if this is going to last or am I in for a huge detox nighmare? Just curious as to what you, or anyone else thinks. Thanks!

Old 01-15-2007, 02:37 PM   #8
    Dantheinsane
    Veteran
    (male)

Dantheinsane HB User

I wonder why I was always hungry. Celexa has been fine for me. I don't even notice anything about taking it, but that is a great sign because I don't want a medication that makes me feel different.

I guess the only thing I feel about it is the hunger but I havn't gained any weight except for maybe 5 lbs.

Old 01-16-2007, 03:16 AM   #9
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User

I am in the process of coming off of Celexa. i have been on it for 5 months.

in the beginning it worked wonders for me. I was able to assess my life and make the right decisions to get well again. I am coming off for a couple of reasons. Although not typical - I have gained 20lbs which with my family history of heart desease my dr and I decided to take me off, and I also want to see what my body does without meds. I have been on some sort of med for the past year when this first began. Ativan, xanax, klonopin, Lexapro, Celexa, welbutrin (not in that order)

Celexa saved my life: I was so depressed because I was depending on certain people (my "safe people) and I had lost my independance. I was depressed also from taking klonopin. My anxiety and panic was there 24 hours a day.

i started out with 5mg increasing to 30mg at a slow pace. My doctor and I have a back up plan if while coming off of Celexa i have a hard time and seem to need to be on an SSRI. I think just knowing that i have a back up plan help alot too. He also made sure that I have a script for Klonopin in case I am really bad.

so far so good! But we will see. I am totally off next monday.

Overall: I think Celexa is wonderful. It was a life saver!

Last edited by msmod; 01-16-2007 at 10:08 AM.

Old 01-16-2007, 06:49 AM   #10
    SanyBelle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

It was a lifesaver for me too, 7 years ago. Recently I switched from Wellbutrin to Celexa and became very nauseaus, fatigued...so bad that I couldn't get out of bed. Could my body chemistry have changed that much in seven years (I did quit smoking 8 months ago) that I could no longer tolerate Celexa or was it something else making me sick? I'm very disappointed that Celexa isn't the wonder drug for me that it once was.

Last edited by msmod; 01-16-2007 at 10:09 AM.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:24 AM   #11
    SanyBelle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I asked for Wellbutrin to help me quit smoking, and I don't smoke anymore, so it probably worked for that. But I don't think it did any good for depression, that's why I wanted to move to Celexa. I did gain 15 lbs on Wellbutrin... so was it the drug, the depression or the quitting smoking that made me gain? I'vce been taking Cymbalta for a few deays now and the fatigue is mostly gone and the nausea is bearable.

Old 01-16-2007, 08:17 AM   #12
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User

Do you feel that the Cymbalta is working for Anxiety? A friend of mine started taking that one it she likes it but was just wondering how you felt on it. I am also worried about fatigue and the feeling of being "out of it".

Do you feel that way?

Last edited by msmod; 01-16-2007 at 10:07 AM.

Old 01-16-2007, 11:33 AM   #13
    SanyBelle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I've only been on the Cymbalta for 4 days so it's too early to tell. I just had my first appt. with the p-doc. He thinks the switch from wellbutrin (w/o tapering) and going right to Cymbalta caused my fatigue, nausea, etc. (It was my idea to my GP to switch). The P-doc wants me to continue on the Cymbalta and also take 150mg of Wellbutrin to see if that will work. I already feel alot better, the fatigue is gone, and I don't know if it's because of the Cymbalta or I've been off the Celexa long enough. These drugs are tough.. and tough to get the combination right once you are on them. Again, I wish I had never asked for the Wellbutrin 8 months ago... but I did, so I have to fix me now. I'll let you know about the Cymbalta when I've been on it longer.

Closed Thread