It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• anyone had success with buspar?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-27-2007, 05:12 PM   #1
    fatcatdogbog
    (female)

fatcatdogbog HB User
    anyone had success with buspar?

i have been taking wellbutrin for about a month and i have thought about adding something for anxiety. has anyone taken buspar with success?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2007, 04:10 PM   #2
    marian100
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

marian100 HB User
    Re: anyone had success with buspar?

hey fatcat,

i have been taking buspar for 2 1/2 years. i started on 30 mgs. it worked very well but stopped working after 2 years and the dose was raised to 60mgs. it is nonaddicting and has little if any side effects. i started feeling the difference in 4 days but it took a couple of weeks for full effect. it is not working as well as i'd like at this time. but for 2 and 1/2 years it was great. God bless you

Old 01-28-2007, 07:30 PM   #3
    anxiousinnj
    (female)

anxiousinnj HB User
    Re: anyone had success with buspar?

After starting Remeron last May for panic, Buspar was added to the mix in August. I gradually brought the dose up to 30 mgm/day.
    I'm really not sure how well it has helped-- I know thaty sounds crazy-- I'm just assuming I probably would have been worse without it. I've always had some anxiety creeping through, but recently it seemed to happen shortly after taking the Busapr-- I have been taking it in divided doses throughout the day, 7.5 mgm 4 x day( doc said I could split it up any way that felt the most comfortable).
    Last week my p-doc said she wants me to gradually wean off the Buspar & I am increasing the Remeron. She said something about having a "wash out " from the Buspar-- I assume that means it wasn't being as effective???
    At any rate I am weaning it down.

If you just started the Welbutrin, & if the anxiety is bad-- ask your doc about taking Xanax during these first few weeks. Anxiety most always gets worse when first starting an antidepressant....that is something I have learned and am pretty sure about.
    I've also read that Welbutrin is sort of stimulating-- maybe not a good choice for someone with anxiety ?
    My p-doc seems pretty dead set on me sticking with Remeron as it has a sedating effect ( drowsiness gets better after a few weeks)...she feels this is a better choice for the anxiety than other AD's.

Just some ideas to throw at you.
    As for the Buspar--give it a try if your doc thinks it might work. It is a mild drug, & I don't seem to be having any bad side effects so far weaning down the dose-- just my usual breakthrough pangs.

Good luck & hope you feel better.

Closed Thread