It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Lexapro Dose & side effects

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-01-2007, 05:43 PM   #1
    acebabe
    (female)

acebabe HB User
    Lexapro Dose & side effects

Anyone who would like to discuss lexapro dosage & side effects please feel free to talk about here. I have not found this in these threads yet and would like to find others on lex and willing to talk about it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2007, 06:46 PM   #2
    brooke50
    (female)

brooke50 HB User
    Re: Lexapro Dose & side effects

I took it back in 2002 and it worked really well. I didn't have any side effects. I took 10 mgs for about 2 months and then went up to 20 mgs. It was great for me. I'm just sorry I stopped taking it because it never worked again.

brooke

Old 02-02-2007, 08:19 PM   #3
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User

I took it for a few months. It was too strong for me and I gained alot of weight. It did however help me in the first month to make some sound decisions.

Last edited by j2006; 02-02-2007 at 08:19 PM.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:55 PM   #4
    acebabe
    (female)

acebabe HB User

I appreciate the responses. I am on my second round with Lex. First time I was on for a year and a half. Thought I was ok and got off it slowwwllllyyy. S/E suck! After 7 months of being off I realized I made a BIG mistake. Got back on. First week I was on 10mg, second week I was on 20mg. I was used to that from the first round with it. Went back to the doc about a month later bacause I still had anxiety problems. I am now on 30mg. I am wondering if anyone else is on this dosage. I have research and the highest I see is 20mg. Would like to here from anyone on high dosage or would like to talk with anyone else who would like on this med.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:33 PM   #5
    eastbaysteez
    (male)

eastbaysteez HB User

ive been having problems breathing and what not my docs put me on lex for two weeks and i noticed nothing. how long does it take to work?

Old 02-03-2007, 01:13 AM   #6
    Blankpage
    (male)

Blankpage HB User

This is my Lex Story...
    I had a few panic attacks so I went to the Doctor and he presribed me lex.
    I took 1 10mg tab and had a horrible panic attack (Shortly after reading the serious side effects label...). So I started breaking them in half for about two weeks dealing with 4 Hour bouts of anxiety after each dose but noticed my panic attacks stopped. I feel crazy like im going out of my head when i take them so I am now down to a qaurter of a tab a day for a week now, and of course I had a panic attack today. ~sigh~ I cant win. Dunno know whats worse, being drugged and having anxiety all day or not being drugged and having panic attacks.

Old 02-03-2007, 07:14 AM   #7
    acebabe
    (female)

acebabe HB User

Eastbay,
    It usually takes a month or so for the Lex to kick in. It is a time release med so it takes awhile to get in your system. I have never heard of someone taking it for breathing problems.

Old 02-03-2007, 07:19 AM   #8
    acebabe
    (female)

acebabe HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blankpage View Post
    This is my Lex Story...
    I had a few panic attacks so I went to the Doctor and he presribed me lex.
    I took 1 10mg tab and had a horrible panic attack (Shortly after reading the serious side effects label...). So I started breaking them in half for about two weeks dealing with 4 Hour bouts of anxiety after each dose but noticed my panic attacks stopped. I feel crazy like im going out of my head when i take them so I am now down to a qaurter of a tab a day for a week now, and of course I had a panic attack today. ~sigh~ I cant win. Dunno know whats worse, being drugged and having anxiety all day or not being drugged and having panic attacks.
    I have read about other people having similar problems. Lex does take awhile to go in to full effect. Usuually a about a month or so. If you keep having these attacks though I would be calling the doc. There are so many different meds for panic and anxiety. I was a lucky one and did not have to try a bunch of different ones.

Old 02-03-2007, 07:59 AM   #9
    porterville
    (female)

porterville HB User

I have anziety attaks quite often. I did not know that their was medicine for it. You say that you get off and on the medicine. It is always a good idea to talk to your doctor before getting off a medicine. You cannot get off some meds without serious side effects.
    Ruth

Old 02-03-2007, 03:12 PM   #10
    acebabe
    (female)

acebabe HB User

There are many different meds for anxiety attacks. I went off my med slowly to see if I could handle it on my own after a year and a half by the suggestion of my doc. I did ok for awhile and went down hill after that. That is why I am back on Lex.

Old 02-03-2007, 08:43 PM   #11
    Blankpage
    (male)

Blankpage HB User

I took a half today and Im feeling ok. Still have good days and bad days i guess(been on it for a little over a month). Lex helps i guess... anythings better than panic attacks. My doc wanted me to switch to effexor but i cant deal with starting over on a new med. Too much headache and I work 60 hours a week. Im not going through that hell again. Ima stick with the lex and try to eventually get to 10 mg. Maybe im just fighting it.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:47 PM   #12
    acebabe
    (female)

acebabe HB User

Just wondering why your doc wants to switch your meds? Are you having problems with lex? If you are having a hard time sometimes switching is the best thing you can do. There are lots of meds out there and sometimes one kind is just not right for you and you can be switched to another and do great.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:14 PM   #13
    jete23
    (female)

jete23 HB User

I did the same thing-was on 10mg for about 2 yrs, got off, was ok for about 6 months, and boy did the anxiety and panic attacks come back with a vengence. I went back on and the 10mg worked for about 4 weeks, and now feels like it is quiting. I am going back to Neuro tomorrow b/c I am going to see if he's gonna up me to 20mg or if he wants me just to use Xanax as needed. I can deal with the anxiety bouts by themselves and the physical symptoms by themselves but I cant handle both together.

Last edited by msmod; 02-06-2007 at 12:07 PM.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:48 PM   #14
    acebabe
    (female)

acebabe HB User

Jete,
    It's amazing how when you are on the med you feel great and begin to think everything is ok. Like I said I went off for 7 months or so and mine came back so bad I could barely leave the house. I knew it was time to go back to the doctor. That was a project in itself. The doc is only 5 minutes away and I honestly didn't think I could go, almost turned around twice. Thought I was gonna die waiting to get into the room.Once I started talking to the doc I was feeling better. My worst time is getting out the door of my house. Usually if I can get past the sick feelings, I am ok. I see a GP for anxiety and a neuro for migraines. I am also on Tomamax also known as dopamax. So I think that has also helped some.

Old 02-05-2007, 10:23 PM   #15
    jete23
    (female)

jete23 HB User

wow i get migraines too, but i am only taking aleve for them right now. Neuro tried to give me a scrip for one drug and it had caffiene in it and havent had caffiene since i first started suffering from attacks.

And, yea, iI was working and going to school full time, bought a house, planned my wedding, and flew (which i am terrifed to do) and had no problems. Then, once everything calmed down, it was like BOOM and everything started up again, worse than everything had ben the first time.

Went back to Neuro today since Lex felt like it was quitting, but he doesnt want to up dosage, so instead of taking my xanax as needed, he wants me to take daily and then I have to go back in 3 weeks.

Looking back now, don't ya wish you never stopped the lex? Its weird though cuz you feel so good for so long. I mean I had like absolutely no anxiety. It sucks...

Last edited by msmod; 02-06-2007 at 12:08 PM.

Closed Thread