It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Xanax Addiction??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-03-2007, 08:43 AM   #1
    qingche
    (female)

qingche HB User
    Xanax Addiction??

Hi, I have a question about taking Xanax.

I have been having GAD for 3 months now. My doctor gave me Lexepro but it nearly killed me with all sorts of side effects. So I stopped taking it or any SSRIs. Right now I am not taking any medication for anxiety, except 0.25mg of Xanax every week or two weeks, when I feel really really anxious and depressed.

My question is: will I get addicted by taking this dosage of Xanax? My doctor seems to be very concerned about it, although I generally have a pretty good control of myself on medications (I rarely ever take pain killers!). My doctor says once I start taking Xanax regularly, the 0.25mg dosage will soon not be enough and I will want to up my dose and eventually I WILL get addicted to it.

Well, the truth is that, every time I take Xanax, I DO feel much, much better for about a week. Then I kind of feel down and anxious and have to take another 0.25mg. I have taken only 5 of 0.25mg Xanax so far. So will I be addicted???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2007, 08:53 AM   #2
    Jill2112
    (female)

Jill2112 HB User
    Re: Xanax Addiction??

Yes! You can become addicted to Xanax very quickley! I take it for PMS. You have to be very, very, careful. My husband is recovering from several drug addiction cocktails. He included Xanax. He was up to 13 one mg. pills a day! I didn't know it until he told our marriage counselor! I almost fell out of the chair in disbelief! It is a great drug when used as prescribed. Please, you have to show self control. It took my husband a LONG time to get off this stuff completely!! Good luck. Talking about problems when you feel your most vunerable is the best time to be online versuses reaching for a pill. Take care!

Old 02-03-2007, 09:18 AM   #3
    qingche
    (female)

qingche HB User

Oh no! 13 of 1mg Xanax, that is a LOT! That would put me to sleep right away... It sounds scary.

Thank you very much. I will be very careful with it. I am only taking 0.25mg per week when I really need it (not per day), so I hope I won't be addicted. What scares me is how good it feels! It immediately reliefs all the anxiety symptoms, and the relexation lasts for a few days. Well, I guess if I continue taking it, it won't be that effective and I will quickly need to up on the dose and get addicted...

Old 02-03-2007, 09:20 AM   #4
    qingche
    (female)

qingche HB User

Btw Jill, I just realized that I often take it when I have PMS too! Of course when we have GAD, PMS only makes us feel much worse.

How much do you take for PMS, and how often/long do you take it for?

Old 02-03-2007, 09:47 AM   #5
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User

Hello again! I don't think taking 1 xanax every 1 or 2 weeks is abusing it. It is taken as needed - just like your prescription says. The next time you feel the need to take it - try to hold off - sometimes it just takes that one time to rough through it to make you realize that you don't need it.

I have been there - but with klonopin.

Don't let these thoughts make you more anxious. You are dealing with other problems as well.

Jane

Old 02-03-2007, 12:27 PM   #6
    Jill2112
    (female)

Jill2112 HB User

Glad to hear you don't take much! I usually take .25 daily for about a week before. I have very bad PMS. It has been compounded by the stress of dealing with someone who has a major addiction problem! Lucky for me I have never liked to take pills of any kind. It is amazing how well that little pill works! You do feel great. I see how people get addicted. But, from seeing the downside it scares you straight! I am very much into alternative health which is very popular and not as controversial in the San Francisco Bay Area. They are alot more health concious because of A.I.D.S. and alternative medicines is the way to go if you can.

Old 02-03-2007, 12:42 PM   #7
    qingche
    (female)

qingche HB User

Thanks Jane! I will try to take my mind off the anxiety feeling, and refuse to take Xanax next time I feel "needed". This time was really hard, as you know, since my husband was away. But even this time when everyone (including my own doctor, can you believe it?!) urged me to take a 0.25mg Xanax, I held off for days until the point I just absolutely couldn't take it anymore! So I guess if I tried harder, I really COULD hold it off.

Old 02-03-2007, 12:51 PM   #8
    qingche
    (female)

qingche HB User

Thanks a lot Jill! That sounds comforting.

How is your husband doing with the withdrawl symptoms? I have read some horrible stories about withdrawing from Xanax (which scares me!). How is he coping with it?

Same here. I don't like to take any western medications at all. This was the first time I am taking anything this strong, only because my anxiety disorder has been killing me! I am very into alternative remedies too, but I tried many kinds and nothing seems to help me.

So you are taking 0.25mg per day for 7 days every month? How long have you been on this, months or years? And every month do you have the urge to take it? Have you ever tried to skip a month or dose? And if yes, what happens to you?

Last edited by msmod; 02-03-2007 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Removed censored word. Ms_Mod

Old 02-03-2007, 01:28 PM   #9
    ocdengineer
    Inactive
    (male)

ocdengineer HB User

You should not be worried about becoming addicted to Xanax, especially at that dose. Xanax actually isn't even an addictive drug, it creates dependancy because your liver enzymes increase creating the need for more and then your brain will also create less GABA because the Xanax you are taking is already taking up the place were it was supposed to go. This is normal when using Xanax. Now, 13 mg per day is a ridiculous amount of Xanax, so that would definitely fall in the realm of, "needs help".

Personally I take 2 mg per day fo Xanax as my only solution to anxiety and panic and have not needed to increase in four months minus a minor stint over the holidays when I took 2.5 mg a few days. Anyway, I have aprescription for 3 mg per day and the drug is like a godsend for me. It is the only drug that has ever worked for me and I have tried them all. Again, if it was addictive do you think I would be taking less than the doctor's prescribed dose consistently?

I suggest that if you can get by on a .25 mg dose of Xanax per week then don't worry about it at all. That is nothing and it is completely left your system days before you take another, so you aren't even going to become dependant at that dose. I on the other hand am now dependant on the Xanax and really don't much care because I have my life back. I don't intend to stop taking it until the day I die, so I don't have to worry about the long weaning process.

Bottom line is .25 mg of Xanax is about as strong as a shot of beer a week and about as habit forming, so don't wory about it and take it if you need it. Your doctor is most likely looking out for his/her best interest though because there have been lots of lawsuits agains doctors who prescribe Xanax to people who are habitual drug abusers and they end up taking doses that make 13 mgs a day look small and the ER is usually the next step.

You will be fine on .25 mg a week and probably wouldn't even have a problem if you took that much daily. .25 mg daily is half of the lowest doseage the drug company who manufactures Xanax even discusses.

Good luck,
    OE

Old 02-03-2007, 01:42 PM   #10
    Jill2112
    (female)

Jill2112 HB User

I'm glad you feel comforted! I have just started taking Xanax last month for my PMS. I am going to try not take it this month. I don't like feeling like I don't have control over myself. I am just trying to cope with my situation with meditation and yoga. Drugs are a blessing and a curse. I never thought I'd ever take meds like this. I never even knew what Xanax was until it was prescribed to my husband! I got a crash course in meds and there effects! I am just trying to concentrate my husband's health. I know I have to be the strong one know!

Old 02-03-2007, 03:35 PM   #11
    flintrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

I would not take xanax if it was the last drug on earth..........I would get off it immediately and find something else...there are plenty of meds out there that are not addictive....tell your doc you don't want to take anything that is addictive.............you will be glad you did............xanax is a horrible drug to get off of.......talk about withdrawal..you think you feel anxious now, oh my.........you have no idea........please stop...

Old 02-04-2007, 07:44 AM   #12
    qingche
    (female)

qingche HB User

Thanks everyone for your reply! I checked with a Benzo addiction web site in UK (apparently the US does not address this problem enough). It says most times if you take a normal amount of Xanax (under 2mg per day), it is very likely you will develop a dependency after six months. And if you take more, you could be dependent or even addicted to it very quickly.

How scary! I will be VERY careful with it now. Unless I am about to go crazy, I will NOT take it again!

Closed Thread