It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Anyone taking Prozac? I would like to know side effects and if it is helping?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-05-2007, 02:44 PM   #1
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User
    Anyone taking Prozac? I would like to know side effects and if it is helping?

I am in the process of weaning off of Celexa. I am having awful depression. I am so tired. My anxiety isn't too bad but I feel it there. I only have one week left of 5mg and hopefully clear out my system for a few weeks. My Dr has talked about Prozac being the next med I take if I need one. Could you please let me know how your experience is/was with this medication?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2007, 03:10 PM   #2
    lilliesdad1
    (male)

lilliesdad1 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Anyone taking Prozac? I would like to know side effects and if it is helping?

I started taking 10mgs then 20 and now 30 and its done a world of good for me U have yet to have any side effects thank the lord i also take klonopin with the prozac and I feel good no side effects at all except a tinnnnny bit of nausea shortly after I take my pills but if you drink a cup or two of water you should be fine the benefits greatly out weight the side effects in my case any more questions just ask

Old 02-05-2007, 03:23 PM   #3
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User
    Re: Anyone taking Prozac? I would like to know side effects and if it is helping?

thank you for your reply......

How long have you been taking it? Any weight gain?

I gained 30, yes 30, lbs on Celexa and I don't want to go there again. It just makes you feel nasty and tired.

Also, do you have that brain fog that some meds give you?

Old 02-06-2007, 07:21 AM   #4
    qingche
    (female)

qingche HB User
    Re: Anyone taking Prozac? I would like to know side effects and if it is helping?

Hi Jane, how are you feeling? I guess you have decided to give Prozac a try. I have heard great things about it, although I haven't tried. My friend went on it when she was very depressed, and very quickly got back on her feet. She only took it for 3 weeks because after 3 weeks, she didn't feel like she needed it anymore! So she quit, and had not side effects or withdrawl symptoms whatsoever.

It may be worthwhile to try. As you said to me before, sometimes we just need a little help to get back on our feet. Just make sure you start it slowly, and don't stay on it for too long. It DOES make most people gain weight, I heard. Well, maybe I should be on it----I have lost so much weight since last Nov when my anxiety disorder started! I am at a dangerously low weight right now, and I hate it not having any appetite!

Old 02-06-2007, 09:12 AM   #5
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User

I reallyhavn't made up my mind yet. I am almost done with Celexa. I put on over 30 lbs and I am so uncomfortable. I am on the 5mg and I am so dizzy and foggy and my depression is bad. I am so scared with what is happening. I would like to clean out my sysytem for a few weeks - to see how I am. Sometimes these meds can cause a lillt bit of anxiety and mood changes when taking just a small dose.

I hope I don't gain any more weight on Prazac. If I do decide to take it.

How are you feeling?

Old 02-06-2007, 09:23 AM   #6
    qingche
    (female)

qingche HB User

I guess we just have to be patient and let our bodies clean themselves up before putting more meds in. I know how uncomfortable it must have been for you! It is not fun to live with anxiety, and even worse to live with anxiety AND withdrawl from meds. I am experiencing the same thing now, dizzy, foggy, and extremely tired. Are you feeling any anxiety? Mine has been pretty bad, especially in the morning. Now I actually wonder if my symptoms are caused by taking a very little dose of xanax. So I am trying not to take xanax for a while, although everyday I am fighting with the urge to take some, or whatever SSRI to get rid of the anxiety and symptoms... It is very hard.

Gaining weight it definitely no fun either. But if you are trying to lose weight, make sure you lose slowly and have enough nurtrition in your body. Otherwise it could make the anxiety worse.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:12 PM   #7
    inda
    Inactive
    (female)

inda HB User

{{{ j2006 }}}}

I was on prozac 2xs each for long period of times.. the last 5 yrs... I never had problems with it ... until after a few years and it just suddenly quit working for me.. ( very likely due to my own symptoms.. I have had others just quit)

the only side effect I had was a decreased sexual desire. There certainly wasnt any weight gain... it was actually used as a weight control when it first came out.

Last edited by msmod; 02-06-2007 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Changed font style and color to make post easier to read. Ms_Mod

Old 02-06-2007, 06:06 PM   #8
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by indysasha View Post
    {{{ j2006 }}}}

I was on prozac 2xs each for long period of times.. the last 5 yrs... I never had problems with it ... until after a few years and it just suddenly quit working for me.. ( very likely due to my own symptoms.. I have had others just quit)

the only side effect I had was a decreased sexual desire. There certainly wasnt any weight gain... it was actually used as a weight control when it first came out.
    Thank you for that positive post. How long did it take to work? Were you anxious on it? I am so tired on celexa I am hoping that if I do have to go prozac that it gives me alittle bit of energy.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:21 PM   #9
    li_low
    (female)

li_low HB User

I was on prozac..the most u can be presrcibed this was for anxiety and ocd. worked wonders..though i became not worrying enough about basic things i SHOULD be concerned about..stopped it..now live med free life..but prozac was a life saver and i mean that..i could at least function and LIVE.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:47 AM   #10
    qingche
    (female)

qingche HB User

For people who have taken Prozac, I have the same question as j2006: does it give you more energy and less anxiety? These two things are my main concern and I am considering taking Prozac as well...

Old 02-07-2007, 12:14 PM   #11
    fremosan
    (female)

fremosan HB User

I have a 13 year old who suffers from depression and anxiety. She went on Zoloft and gained 30 lbs. She went from a picky eater to everything in sight! We changed her to prozac and I cannot believe how "normal" she feels. I also took prozac about 15 years ago and it immediately helped me. She says so far no weight gain.

Old 02-07-2007, 02:32 PM   #12
    PeskyRabbit
    (female)

PeskyRabbit HB User

I too am wondering about the side effects. I was prescribed Prozac in the form of Sarafem for PMDD, but I'm so concerned with the side effects. In the past, I haven't had any luck with SSRIs. Does it make you tired?

Old 02-08-2007, 11:11 AM   #13
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User

Comments anyone?

Old 02-09-2007, 10:51 AM   #14
    beau1954
    (male)

beau1954 HB User

I am curious as to why Prozac makes you gain weight. My doctor has suggested that I come off Ativan ( I take as needed, and usually no more than .5 X 2 per day). It works good for me, and I am just trying to gain as much as I can about Prozac....
    thanks very much for any info you can provide,
    Have a nice day
    Gary

Old 02-09-2007, 11:03 AM   #15
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User

From the messages posted here they are saying that hevn't experienced weight gain. I am hoping this is the case. Most SSRI have a weight side effect. Gain or Loss.

I am so afraid of the weight gain as I gained alot on Celexa

Closed Thread