It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Immediate Klonopin help needed

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-06-2007, 07:28 AM   #1
    howdoihelp
    (female)

howdoihelp HB User
    Immediate Klonopin help needed

I take .5mg of Klonopin every night for anxiety and "as needed" during panic attacks or stressful situations. I usually take 1mg before really panic-inducing events for me. Is this a small dose or a large dose? Could I take more without worry?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2007, 11:50 AM   #2
    alex12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User
    Re: Immediate Klonopin help needed

Its a small dose. .5 is the lowest dose you could take. you could go up with no problems.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:59 AM   #3
    ocdengineer
    Inactive
    (male)

ocdengineer HB User

.5 is very little, but understand that it takes awhile for Klonopin to take effect unlike Xanax or Ativan. You should also talk with your doctor for any increase in meds.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:48 PM   #4
    bucks85
    (male)

bucks85 HB User

My psy took me off xanax and switched me to klonopin which i believe is a 10x better drug. I take 1mg once a day at night (around 8pm). It usually starts kicking in in about 45 mins then you'll get the full effect after an hour. So .5mg is a very small dose. I would recommend calling your GP or talking to a psy before you start messing with your dosage.

Old 02-08-2007, 05:04 AM   #5
    ocdengineer
    Inactive
    (male)

ocdengineer HB User

It definitely lasts longer,that's for sure. Does the Klonopin cause you any depression or lethargy? I am just curious.

Take care,
    OE

Old 02-08-2007, 09:13 AM   #6
    bucks85
    (male)

bucks85 HB User

No the only side effect i get from klonopin is drowsiness about 4 hours after taking it. Which of course since i take it at 8pm, midnight could be the cause that i need sleep lol. But yeah it definitely lasts longer and the rebound effect isnt bad at all. There for a while i started getting dependent on xanax and upping my dosage which i think was leading to an addiction. That was until i went to my psy and got put on cymbalta and klonopin. But anyways i love the klonopin and the cymbalta has done more good than bad, so i cant complain.

Old 02-08-2007, 04:32 PM   #7
    ocdengineer
    Inactive
    (male)

ocdengineer HB User

How much Xanax were you up to before you quit taking it? I am considering lowering my dosage because the last couple of days have been the roughest I've had in a long time. I actually feel on edge and depressed I guess would be the word. It doesn't help that I am expecting a daughter here in a month and a half and I am a Master's student plus full time work and a start up business on the side. I think I am spreading myself a little too thin. I may have to give up the school idea for awhile if I do get one of these proposals I am writing. There is no way I will be able to do both.

Just curious how much was to much for you.

OE

Old 02-08-2007, 05:55 PM   #8
    cecropia
    (female)

cecropia HB User

I'm really curious about this post. I've been doing much better on my Buspirone and my St. Johns Wort, but it has not worked as fast this time around, I'm on my 8th month with Buspirone, but have had much better results since I went up to 30mg. in December. The St. John's Wort I'm in the 5th month and I like it so far. I still think that in the future somewhere I'm going to end up either on Klonopin or Xanax though and so I follow the Klonopin and Xanax posts rather closely. I only know one lady through a friend of my daughter who is on Klonopin who is 65, and I know two people who are friends with my husband who have taken xanax for over 15yrs. every day and like it, so it's very interesting Bucks85 that you like the Klonopin better than the Xanax, actually you said you love the Klonopin. Could you explain more why you prefer it so much more than the Xanax?

Thanks

Last edited by cecropia; 02-08-2007 at 05:56 PM.

Old 02-08-2007, 06:06 PM   #9
    bucks85
    (male)

bucks85 HB User

Well i was originally not on any anti anxiety meds. Then one day i had to have an mri done and i had a horrible panic attack within the first 2 mins. So I rescheduled to an open air one and took a .5 xanax(dissolve kind i got from my neurologist) and it helped me tons. Then once i figured out xanax was working well i started taking .25 two times a day and then within 2 weeks it started hitting me hard with really bad rebounds. So i upped my dosage to .25 during the day and .5 at night and it seemed like i was needing more and more by the week. I would be up from the xanax and 5 mins later i would withdrawl really hard (fogginess, fatigue, blurred vision, confusion) and want more. From that point on i was worried about it and went to talk to a psy because i thought i was getting addicted to the xanax. I believe the xanax put me in a much deeper hole than i was in before i started taking it. I'm just glad i got off it so soon. I know other people may react differently and i loved how the xanax worked so quick... but it just didnt last long enough and made me really dependent on it. Anyways thats just how i reacted to it, and i know that many many people get addicted to it easily. After about a month and a half I can actually see my future without klonopin... which is a great thing.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:05 AM   #10
    cecropia
    (female)

cecropia HB User

Thanks for replying 85. I think many of anxiety cases start from trips to the doctor for just regular check ups which sometimes find some disorder that ends up with tests needed and then the anxiety starts because it takes so long for all the details to come out and you are wondering what you've got. Back in the old days people didn't have so much anxiety, they rarely went to the doctor and just up and died when their time was up to whatever disease they had, but didn't know it was going to happen. Maybe they didn't live as long, but at least the years they had were not full of anxiety attacks every day, they were pretty happy most of the time.

Old 02-09-2007, 08:28 AM   #11
    kathyd
    (female)

kathyd HB User

My 20 y/o son suffers from occasional anxiety attacks and his pcp put him on 0.5 mg - 1 mg of klonopin as needed. He usually just takes one 0.5 mg tablet when he is feeling very anxious. It works very well, except for making him drowsy, so he only takes it at night or when he doesn't have to go anywhere. He has never had any rebound effect, nor does he feel like he is addicted to it. It was worked wonderfully for him. Good Luck.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:13 AM   #12
    M.G.
    (male)

M.G. HB User

That is a small dose. I've been taking .5 mg, 2x a day for almost 14 years. It still works wonders for controlling my anxiety (without feeling drowsy or lethargic), and I've never had to increase my dosage.

Actually, I did increase it one time: the first time I flew on an airplane, I took an extra .5mg that day (just before boarding)... it helped me relax and get through the flight!

Old 02-09-2007, 02:18 PM   #13
    lorriem
    Veteran
    (female)

lorriem HB User

Sorry to but into this conversation but to my knowledge .5 klonopin = 10 mg Valium Xnax I am not sure but Xnax has the shotest half life. Klonopin's half life is 50 hours and valium has a half life of 150 - 200 hours half life. So even though Klonopin is .5 it is like taking two 5 mg valium.I had a chart to show my doctor but I can't find it right now but I did read it on the web.I am taking Klonopin .5 mg three times a day right now after being on Valium for many years. My doctor told me to take the valium still but lower my dose as my body gets use to the klonopin. For anxiety I now feel that the Klonopin is the better drug for me.I was on 5 mg valium 4 times a day and I am now down to one 5 mg valium plus three .5 klonopin a day.Hope this helps.

Old 02-09-2007, 04:36 PM   #14
    ocdengineer
    Inactive
    (male)

ocdengineer HB User

How is the switch working for you? How many years have you been taking a Benzo? Sounds like they have been working pretty well for you. I am considering Konopin becuase of the longer half life. I don't know the numbers but I am taking Xanax and it doesn't last more than a few hours for me, so I have to take it 4 times a day for a total of 2 mg per day.

Take care,
    OE

Old 02-09-2007, 04:57 PM   #15
    lorriem
    Veteran
    (female)

lorriem HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ocdengineer View Post
    How is the switch working for you? How many years have you been taking a Benzo? Sounds like they have been working pretty well for you. I am considering Konopin becuase of the longer half life. I don't know the numbers but I am taking Xanax and it doesn't last more than a few hours for me, so I have to take it 4 times a day for a total of 2 mg per day.

Take care,
    OE
    Xnax has a half life of only 6-12 hours so you are right it doesn't last very long. Klonopin is a happy mrdium lasting 18 -50 and Valium being the longest. I found my chart so I have the numbers right.
    The switch is working OK. Since .5 Klonopin = 10 mg valium I can take less meds. I been taking Valium for almost 40 years for familiar tremor and anxitey attacks.I started out at 4 valium a day and never needed to up the dose but doctors now prefer to give you the newer drugs so that is why the switch.I really can't tell the difference.

Closed Thread