It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Still having breathing trouble

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-19-2007, 01:25 PM   #1
    terry111
    (female)

terry111 HB User
    Still having breathing trouble

I have had my second anxiety attack ever in December and since then, I've had headaches one week, then heart palpitations another week, then a week of nothing, etc... now, the past 3 weeks, I've had breathing problems where I feel I need a deep breath and cannot get it. I have tried the 7/11 breathing, I have read about hyperventilation syndrome and I have tried nose breathing, diaphragm breathing, relaxation techniques, exercise and good diet, etc.. I feel that I have tried it all and nothing is working. There has been 2 days in the past three weeks where my breathing was normal, but mostly it's very scary and is messing up my life! I have ativan and I tried to take that a couple of times. It didn't seem to help much, if at all. It just made me tired. I am going to call my doc tomorrow to see if she can help me. I had this problem 8 years ago and it lasted three months. Then it disappeared on its own, but my doc back then did all sorts of breathing tests with me and everything appeared fine. The thing is, I feel like if I didn't have this one symptom, I'd be feeling and doing great. But because I have this, I feel it messes up my life. I cannot talk sometimes because I feel I can't breathe enough. Eating is hard too, at times, when I can't breathe well while eating and exercising, though they say it should help, is a major chore. I used to run a lot and now I can hardly run 2 min. without needing to stop to take a deep breath. I'm so sick of this and am feeling very desperate for help/answers! Anyone have any other advice? I've also tried some herbal things and I don't use any caffeine or eat chocolate. I am almost 100% sure it is anxiety that is causing me this but I don't feel anxious and my mind feels relaxed but it's still around!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2007, 02:10 PM   #2
    moni1013
    (female)

moni1013 HB User
    Re: Still having breathing trouble

I feel just like you. You are not alone. I have had this really bad for the past 6months. I have been taking Lexapro and it didn't seem to be doing the trick by itself so my DR added Lamictal. I can already tell a difference and it's only been 3 days. I take 30 MG of Lexapro and just started out on 25 MG a day of the Lamictal. My breathing problems have about all gone away. I use to have a sore throat that would last all day which would only make my throat feel as it it was closing off which would make me panic. I had really bad panic attacks. I've been fighting this hot and heavy for the past 6 months (many trips to the ER for panic) and now feel that the Lamictal may be something that is going to work. Are you taking anythig or seeing a doctor right now?
    Moni

Old 02-19-2007, 02:19 PM   #3
    terry111
    (female)

terry111 HB User

The only thing I have is ativan. I was told in Dec. to take it only when I feel like I'm going to die, etc... that was by my primary care. Then she also recommended that I see a psychologist, which I have been. But my appt. with the psychiatrist is March 8, and he will definitely put me on something. I don't know what, but I feel that I cannot wait that long because this breathing problem has been making me really crazy! So I am going to call my primary care again tomorrow to ask if she can give me something in the meantime. I guess it might be a lot of trial and error... ativan seems to not work for me, for the breathing problem. It does make me a little more calm about it, but it doesn't make the breathing problem stop, which still makes me a bit on edge.

Old 02-19-2007, 04:10 PM   #4
    nicechap
    (male)

nicechap HB User

You don't have a 'breathing problem'. Your problem is your anxiety. Have your doctor check you for signs of respiratory or blood disease. If these come back or are clear, then you must remember at all times that you are perfectly healthy, and that all you have to do to feel better is stop worrying. What I find helps is to remind myself what the doctor asked me "Do you have any medical problems?" and the answer was then, and still is now, "No". If you can also say that you don't have any medical problems, only anxiety, then you should seek to see your plight in perspective. It helps me anyway.

Old 02-19-2007, 04:26 PM   #5
    moni1013
    (female)

moni1013 HB User

I would call the phys office you are going to go to on the 8th now and tell them that you need an emergency appointment. I bet they can try to squeeze you in earlier. I had ot take off work to go to my appointment but it was worth it. It's hard to be good at my job when I'm freaking out. If you want to talk I am here. Best of luck.
    moni

Old 02-19-2007, 07:41 PM   #6
    eastbaysteez
    (male)

eastbaysteez HB User

hi ive been having breathing problems aswell once my spirometry test showed everything was doing bad, then i had a complete pulmanary functions test and i was ok with mild air trapping. so anyway i had a bad episode went to the er where they gave me a breathing treatment and two ativan and i felt fine. my pulmonary test showed that i dont respond well to bronchdialtion so if it was asthma that sucks. they gave me a small ativan perscription and i take one when i wake up and one 6 hours later and that seems to help out a great deal. so thats just some of my experience that has been going on for about 2 years.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:02 AM   #7
    smurfy33
    (female)

smurfy33 HB User

terry111 - I have the same exact problem. I have attributed mine to acid reflux because there are a lot of people on the acid reflux board who complain of the same thing. So when I'm having a bad time with my breathing I just tell myself it is just my reflux and it puts my mind at ease. Whether it is actually the reflux or not, I don't know. My breathing problems started after a really bad episode of reflux while I was sleeping (woke up choking and coughing and could not breathe right for days) which also caused me to have a bad anxiety attack. I've had my breathing problem since April 2006. With my anxiety, I focus on one thing at a time. I used to focus on my heart rate, then it was my breathing. I had a cold a couple months ago and while I had it, for some reason I stopped focusing on my breathing and since then I haven't been as obsessed about it. Now rather than having the breathing problem all day long, I only have a period of time during the day here and there when I focus on it and I find myself forgetting about it a lot of the time. Some days I don't have it at all. But it took about 6 months until it started to improve for me. For me, I focused on it so much that I think it became a habit to breathe that way. I wish you the best of luck finding treatment that works for you. Take care!

Old 02-20-2007, 07:05 AM   #8
    terry111
    (female)

terry111 HB User

Well, I have an appt. with the nurse this morning, so maybe she'll run some breathing tests, etc... but I know it's anxiety. Even when I feel I'm not thinking about it, or I am busy doing something, I still have a hard time with it. So I think maybe if I can be given a med that works on this, and take it for a few weeks, then come off, maybe it won't come back, if I am out of the habit of doing this sort of breathing for a few weeks. I don't know what else...

Also, I know for sure it's not reflux. I have no reflux problems and never have and I don't even burp ever! I know it can be a hidden disease sometimes, but I'm just sure I don't have it.

It's so annoying though, and gets in the way of my doing things with my kid, even talking sometimes, doing my exercise, etc... so I am going to make sure the nurse knows all this so it doesn't just get ignored.

Last edited by terry111; 02-20-2007 at 07:06 AM.

Closed Thread