It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• anxiety vs. depression...also just need a friend.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-19-2007, 09:01 PM   #1
    ted318
    (male)

ted318 HB User
    Unhappy anxiety vs. depression...also just need a friend.

This is my very first post on these message boards, so Hello to everybody.

I am a college student studying spanish right now.

I'm here because I've gone through a lot of issues, and still feel the effects today, and for lack of better wording, just need someone to listen.

I was diagnosed with depression and social anxiety disorder about a year and a half ago...{REMOVED}

I feel a lot better right now than before...I used to have suicidal thoughts, sleep all day, bad appetite, push away loved ones, basically the worst of the worst when it comes to depression...

Every day I struggle with confidence/self-esteem...I am a friendly kind person, but very shy. I like everybody I meet and consider myself a good friend, but often have doubts whether I'm a good enough friend...

I find myself worried of how I come across to others to an obsessive level, and cannot speak without second guessing myself...this has become increasingly difficult to deal with on a daily basis...I assume that people do not like me, and am a very naturally negative person.

I have been on SSRI's for about 8 months now, and the results for the depression seem to be better...I am more active, accomplish my goals, and healthier overall. I still struggle with anxiety and social shyness though, and that in turn makes me feel badly about myself, especially when I find it difficult to talk to someone in person (this is why I'm trying a message board)

I know I've been droning on here! But if ANYBODY has any insight into depression vs. social anxiety, I would love to hear your ideas. I find it confusing to distinguish the two, and suffer from both of them everyday.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by msmod; 02-20-2007 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Read all of the "Sticky" posts at the top of this board as to why part of your post was removed. Ms_Mod

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2007, 11:13 PM   #2
    Janster
    (female)

Janster HB User
    Re: anxiety vs. depression...also just need a friend.

Howdy Ted,

You're going to college - which is probably the most UNCERTAIN time of life.

A lot of things I've read - reminds me of myself when I was in college. I've had suicidal thoughts also..... but deep down inside, those little voices kept telling me - "There's more to life than this!!"

I didnt' have any 'social' problems in college (per say) but I was frustrated more with myself and the lack of being able to get DATES. The guys wouldn't go near me..... But again, each and everytime I found myself at my worst - I'd sit by my bed, look at the stars and say.... "I know you're out there, my love...."

I think deep down inside - you can indeed teach yourself (if you don't already know it) that you ARE a special person. You ARE working hard in school and indeed doing your BEST to become successful. Don't feel pressured to be *social*. Work on your INNER self.......being happy with who you are and what you've accomplished.

Yeah, I know..that kinda sounded weird..... But hey, you gotta be happy with yourself before you can be happy around other people..right?

Believe me - as time goes on and you get older....you'll become more familiar with whom you've become and more familiar with who you are( hard to explain).

Just a question.... Do you have any hobbies or interests? Perhaps getting more involved with people of similar interests would help you overcome the social thing. Join a club......

Hey - you've already taken a positive step by posting in this forum/....

Old 02-19-2007, 11:37 PM   #3
    ted318
    (male)

ted318 HB User

thanks janster...you're advice is really nice....but unfortunately it sounds like everything ive heard already...and i dont exactly have the motivation to feel better...sometimes its just overwhelming...

not to mention, a lot of it is anxiety about girls...making the first step is so difficult for me i cry over it sometimes!
    (yes, im an emotional guy)

but i really don't like myself...and it's hard for me to be happy with others because i really still dislike myself....

Old 02-20-2007, 01:10 AM   #4
    terry111
    (female)

terry111 HB User

Do you speak with a therapist? If not, you really should. They usually have ideas and cognitive therapies for what you are going through. I had some social shyness also. I never really talked to any guys, never went to campus parties, etc... My junior year of college, I decided to join an online dating service. I found someone I really connected with online. We emailed back and forth for months and then I finally had the courage to meet him in person. By that point, I felt I already knew him that it wasn't as big a deal anymore. That really helped me. I ended up marrying him and it's now been 7 years!

Old 02-20-2007, 10:15 PM   #5
    ted318
    (male)

ted318 HB User

well i have tried with my doctor who prescribed my medication, which is supposed to help with social anxiety...I didnt get much relief from him, and have not really had any "talking" therapy or felt any relief whatsoever...and sort of avoid it thinking i dont need it.

Closed Thread