It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Breathing trouble still

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-26-2007, 05:36 AM   #1
    terry111
    (female)

terry111 HB User
    Breathing trouble still

It's been over three weeks and I have had problems breathing every single day, almost every minute of the day. Everything has already been ruled out and it is from anxiety. I have tried ativan, and that didn't help. I am now on celexa and so far, it's just making things worse but I know it can take a couple of weeks to work. Is there anything anyone has tried that worked when dealing with air hunger from anxiety? I'm feeling more and more helpless as the days pass and it's so frustrating. It's affecting every aspect of my life. I have a husband and two young kids and I can't even spend time with them because of this breathing trouble. I can feel my stomach rise and fall nicely with each breath, but something in my brain? perhaps is telling me it's not enough air or something... I'm really struggling for answers and a cure for this so I can live my life again!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2007, 07:56 AM   #2
    qingche
    (female)

qingche HB User
    Re: Breathing trouble still

I used to take Xanax when I was really anxious and couldn't breathe. I took 0.25mg of xanax (half pill) and it would work all day! However, Xanax can easily get you dependent or even addicted to it, so you have to be very careful when taking it---basically all those Benzos have this side effect. You can't rely on them in the long term. They are only for short-term relief.

In the meantime, I would suggest that you try meditation and breathing techniques. You can ******** those methods on line. They really help!! Slow and deep breathing techs are the best ways to get rid of anxiety, from my experience. You can also try to divert your thoughts---find something you love to do, or take a vacation to the beach. Something that can relax you. You will soon learn not to pay too much attention to your breathing.

Good luck to you!

Old 02-26-2007, 08:32 AM   #3
    boxerlver227
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

boxerlver227 HB Userboxerlver227 HB Userboxerlver227 HB Userboxerlver227 HB User

It sounds like you are suffering from anxiety with hyperventilation syndrome.
    I am a over breather as well so I am educated about this one! It was explained to me by my therapist, quite a few times.. I tend to hyperventilate and panic at the same time.. Which are two different disorders, but similar symptoms. What happens is Chemical changes can happen with over breathing. Hyperventilation causes the carbon dioxide level in the blood to decrease. This lower level of carbon dioxide reduces blood flow to the brain, which may result in the following nervous system and emotional complaints, weakness, Fainting, Dizziness,
    Confusion, Agitation, A feeling of being outside yourself, Seeing images that aren't there, Feeling as if you can't breathe, smothering sensation,
    Over breathing can also cause the calcium levels to drop in your blood, which may result in Numbness and tingling (usually in both arms or around the mouth) Basically what you are doing is walking around all day anxious and
    breathing in excess amounts of air then that of what the body needs.
    I MYSELF have also found xanax to be the eliminator of this symptom. When I feel that smothering sensation coming on or the panic starting to creep in, I find taking a small dose of xanax quickly starts working in helping me to relax and breath properly. I do suggest that practicing breathing techniques
    are also very effective. Depending on medication really isn't the answer, but learn behavior and controlling your breathing is..
    I hope this was helpful to you.. Feel better, I know how scary and frustrating this anxiety disease can be! Boxerlover

Old 02-26-2007, 08:58 AM   #4
    brysonav
    (male)

brysonav HB User

Terry - I too have issues with feeling as though I cannot breathe. The breathing techniques didnt work for me mainly because it focused more attention on my breathing and what I needed was less. I tell myself if I can talk I can breathe. My main problem wasnt a panting type shortness of breath but more of a feeling like I needed to take a deep breath but could not. I went to ER during an episode and had all the tests, everything OK. PCP prescribed xanax .25 every 8 hours. I had fears of becoming dependent on this med and was reluctant to take it so I would take half a pill as needed which didnt work. Finally, I decided I needed to give myself a break from the anxious state I was in and took it for 5 days as prescribed and it helped a great deal. Slowly, the breathing trouble stopped, although I still have bouts where I suffer from it. I just stopped focusing on my breathing and trusted my body and the week of the benzo helped my body relax. Prior to this I had trouble for a solid 6 months straight where I thought I was dying. Hang in there and try, try, try to forget about breathing. Our body needs no help to breathe and in fact by focusing on it we can make it worse.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:21 AM   #5
    terry111
    (female)

terry111 HB User

Wow, xanax seems to be a nice remedy to help control the breathing for most of you. My doc told me to stay on celexa and up my dosage a bit. So I'm going to try that tonight. She gave me ativan also, but that is also a benzo class drug like xanax and didn't work for me. Maybe I'll ask her about xanax if the celexa doesn't help. I need to give it a couple of weeks to see if it helps. I just hope I don't need to stay on it too long, as breathing seems to be the only problem I have and that just leads to more problems with anxiety. I am also trying acupuncture--my first appt. is next Tuesday. Maybe that will help relax me some. I'd love to take a vacation to the beach, but I can't do that this year.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:56 PM   #6
    Heartzexplode
    (male)

Heartzexplode HB User

Terry you should look into 'chronic hyperventilation'. Your system could have too much oxygen which is an interesting perspective. I wish you the best of luck, I have had this for about two years now and I kinda just learned to accept it and things got a whole lot easier.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:59 PM   #7
    Heartzexplode
    (male)

Heartzexplode HB User

I also take Xanax as with the other people and I must say so far it has been an incredible relief. I have similar issues concerning dependence, but for now I feel the relief is much outweighs the risks for me.

Last edited by Heartzexplode; 02-27-2007 at 01:00 PM.

Closed Thread