It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Anxiety and Inner Ear!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-01-2007, 02:16 PM   #1
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User
    Anxiety and Inner Ear!

During the past few weeks I have read on several posts that some people with inner ear disorders also have anxiety /panic issues.

I am curious as to how many of us have this.

Looking back at when my anxiety started I had ear infections. They did not hurt. I found out because I was dizzy and light headed. Then I had my first panic attack. Then came anxiety. During the past year that I have had anxiety I have had 2 ear infections. Ever since the doctor gave me a prescription for the infection I have had brain fog. I have also been on several anxiety related meds. First Ativan, then Wellbutrin, then Lexapro and Klonopin. Klonopin alone and then Celexa.

Since coming off of Celexa (was on for 6 months) 2 weeks ago my anxiety has not returned. I only suffer from brain fog and some dizziness. I am wondering if this could be inner ear related? Medication realted?

My doctors seam to think that it is ear related - I personally think it is anxiety of some sort. I have made an appointment though to get it checked out

Anyone who suffers from both would you mind letting us know? Thanks so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2007, 02:31 PM   #2
    boxerlver227
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

boxerlver227 HB Userboxerlver227 HB Userboxerlver227 HB Userboxerlver227 HB User
    Re: Anxiety and Inner Ear!

Hi J2006~

I wrote this post a while back, but my be of help to you. As you can see I mention in it the relationship between anxiety and inner ear disorders. Sometimes our ear problem is resolved but are dizziness and anxiety remains.
    It has something to do with having to re train our brains.. You will also find A lot of information on the inner ear board at health boards as well!!
    I hope you find this post helpful.. Feel better I know exactly how you feel, and it's horrible...

Please Read If you Are A Dizzy Suffer!!
    I decided to start a new post the question about Anxiety Disorders and Dizziness has been being mentioned a lot these days. So many questions, so many unknown reasons, and most of all so much fear on how this makes us feel.
    I am a Daily dizzy suffer and have been for many years, as well as a Panic Disorder suffer and a GAD suffer. I decided to start a new post for all of you interested in Daily Dizziness.
    Here is what it is like for myself, I get a floating feeling, intense Falling to the side & backwards sensation, sinking to the ground feeling, a motion sensation as if I am swaying on a boat, and my favorite the good old dropping feeling you get on an elevator.. The "elevator sensation" I also feel like my head is very heavy foggy and swimmy and some days just have trouble holding it up! All these sensations I experience on a daily basis mostly 24/7 The only time I don't feel this way is if I am laying down, it seems to subside then. I have gotten many eye rolls from the Doctor's I have seen in the past.. As if these feelings were being made up in my head.. These daily sensations have caused me more anxiety and intense panic attacks.. It seems as soon as I experience any one of these sensations my panic attacks kick in full force..
    OKAY so now the big question we all ask "can anxiety really make me feel dizzy" The ANSWER is yes, Doctors have known for many years that psychological disorders, such as anxiety, can cause symptoms of dizziness and imbalance. This type of dizziness was given the nonspecific name of psychogenic dizziness. Here is what I have learned through my years of struggles with anxiety related dizziness, and believe me I research and research and ask my therapist to explain it over and over again..
    What disorders are associated with psychogenic dizziness a question all of us on this board commonly ask, well the truth is Several studies point to a specific set of disorders that can cause symptoms of dizziness and imbalance. All these disorders are in the anxiety disorder family and include panic attacks, certain phobias, and chronic anxiety disorders.
    What symptoms are the symptoms? How does your dizziness feel? Another question we all ask on this board, the answer is Psychogenic dizziness will present with a variety of symptoms including lightheadedness, feeling heavy headed, feeling a pressure sensation in the head, feeling far away or detached from the environment, feeling like they are going to fall, and sometimes even the feeling as if you are going to faint.
    Can something else be causing my dizziness? Another question that floats around here as well. And the answer is yes, inner ear disorders are the most common reasons for dizziness, In fact inner ear problems that have completely resolved but the symptoms still persist, despite the resolution of the inner ear disorder can happen. In this case I was told and found VERY interesting is that it appears the inner ear disorder triggered an anxiety, panic, or phobic state. In this situation, the psychological disorder perpetuates the dizziness, despite the fact that the underlying inner ear disorder has resolved. How interesting is that!!! I couldn't believe that when I was told by my Doctor.
    Well I never had a ear infection or disorder, so what else could it be? Another question that goes through our minds.. The answer is there are several physical disorders that can present with symptoms similar to those experienced with psychogenic dizziness. Some of these conditions included anemia, thyroid disorders, neurological disorders, cardiovascular disorders, hormonal disorders.. Just to name a few. But keep in mind these disorders present many other serious symptoms and NOT JUST dizziness. So you see my anxious friends, We all know we are on this board because we suffer from some sort of anxiety disorder, But we tend to question the symptoms of our anxiety. And question whether or not our dizziness can really be just related to our disorder. And now you see that it in fact can!!!! Anxiety Disorder can come out in us in so many ways not just dizziness, and I think it should be know that the mind is a powerful weapon and sometimes when we suffer from this condition we tend too become so sensitive to what we feel .... I know that's how it is for myself!! I hope many of you can relate to my post as well as find comfort in knowing IF YOU are one of the Psychogenic dizzy suffers you are in fact Not by any means alone!!! I am a suffer as well...
    If you found interest in this post perhaps my post titled My Disease Called Anxiety would be helpful to you as well. This is also located on the anxiety board... You Just have to search for it.. My best to all and any thoughts or comments I'd love to hear!! Remember finding comfort in others who are feeling as you is the best medicine in the world!!! Boxerlover

Old 03-01-2007, 04:41 PM   #3
    qingche
    (female)

qingche HB User
    Re: Anxiety and Inner Ear!

Hi J2006, I am wholeheartly with you! I have been having this dizziness issue for months, as you know. I have seen so many doctors, just about in every field! But no one could figure out why. My ENT doctor said it is most likely anxiety related, not inner ear. He said that the key difference between dizzy from anxiety and from inner ear problem is that, inner ear related dizziness tend to have "episodes", meaning it happens from time to time, from certain position or another, but not constant. However, dizziness from anxiety usually lasts all day long, except when we lay down and sleep. But the minute we wake up, we feel dizzy again. This, according to this ENT doctor, is more anxiety related.

Although I am dying to find out a more "reasonable" explanation to my dizziness, I kind of agree with him. I have noticed that, when I concentrate on doing something, I don't quite notice the dizziness. I feel dizzy when I KNOW I am dizzy and become anxious about it. For a few times, I start to feel anxious/dizzy on the streets, and the more anxious I get the more dizzy I feel, or the other way around... But, I keep telling myself it is just anxiety and nothing else. I am not going to fall or faint! Well, guess what? At the end I make it okay. I feel lightheaded but not as bad.

However, I still suggest that you go see an ENT doctor and get your ears checked out. You should also check to see if you have candida over grow, as it tends to make people dizzy and fatigue as well as anxious/depressed.

Closed Thread