It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Anxiety is killing me!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-07-2007, 09:02 AM   #1
    Greg Candido
    (male)

Greg Candido HB User
    Anxiety is killing me!

Hi,

Im a 35 year old male, 5 8, 180 lbs. I've been diagnosed with having panic attacks and anxiety disorder for over 12 years. About a year ago I was diagnose with a Thyriod disorder. These past year has been a very trying year. I'm still trying to get my Thyriod meds regulated but my anxiety has been throught the roof. Beginning of the year I've was put on 10mg of Lexapro. The first 40 days I started to feel better but the past 3 weeks I'm no better then I was 6 months ago. My Choresterol and Blood Pressure are both high but Doctors said it probably due to my Thyriod. Once I at the right meds those should return to normal. I'm in good shape and started to exercise regularly. Once in awhile but more very recently, I would feel a flutter in my chest. I will get this pain for about a second or two. Its feels like my heart is being squeezed. I usually get this when i'm anxious. For instance today when doing aerobic exercise (Riding my stationary bike for 30mins) I felt that squeeze again. I usually dismissed it as no worry, and thinking that it could be a chest muscle pain. When under stress I always find my chest very tight that if I sneezed it would hurt. I always catch myself very tense, my muscles would be squeezing so tight that I need to shrug my shoulders jsut to release the tension. I constantly grind my teeth all day and all night as a nervous habit.

About 5 days ago, I felt my heart skip while on the computer (didnt feel very anxious or worried at the time). Needless to say, it threw me into a panic attack. After I calmed down, i was back to normal. Since then, I've experienced it everyday when i do normal low grade stuff.

Can you explain what might be happening? Why is this happening to me? Is my anxiety playing tricks on me. Why it skips? Why does anxiety promote or make it worse? Is it at all related to Adrenaline? I have no other symptoms, not dizzy, not lightheaded...I just feel "off" when it squeezes because I get so anxious. I'm so confuse what to do next? Is it my Thyriod promoting this anxiety? Should I get another EKG done? Should I up my meds of Lexapro? Should I go to a shrink?

If anyone who knows me I really have nothing to stress about.

I'm so tired of feeling this way? What to do?

Greg

Last edited by Greg Candido; 03-07-2007 at 09:03 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2007, 10:42 AM   #2
    Squelchie
    (female)

Squelchie HB User
    Smile Re: Anxiety is killing me!

Greg - I'm a 35 year old female, 5 5, 120 lbs. I've had panic/anxiety disorder for 17 years. I also was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in 2002. When I was first diagnosed with hypothyroidism my cholesterol and tryglicerides went through the roof even though I'm extremely healthy and exercise 5 days out of every week.

My panic/anxiety began in 1990 when I had my first skipped heartbeat. It threw me into a panic attack and I just knew I was dying of something heart related. I was living at home at the time so my parents took me to a cardiologist and he put me on a halter monitor. (that's like a portable 24 hr. EKG) He then diagnosed me with MVP.

After learning that I had MVP and knowing that it was harmless...I still had problems with panic attacks. I didn't believe my doctor and ended up getting so many 2nd opinions that it was a waste of my time.

When my heart would flutter....both of my arms would go completely numb and my fingers would tingle. My chest felt tight and I always felt like I was gasping for air. I would also sometimes feel as if I were going to faint.
    I'll be honest, I have no idea if your thyroid has anything to do with your panic attacks because I don't know what kind of thyroid disorder you have. When I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism..my panic/anxiety was under control so I never felt anything but the normal symptoms of hypothyroidism; fatigue, losing my train of thought, forgetfullness, etc. However if you have hyperthyroidism....I could see where that might effect your panic and anxiety.

If I were you....I would make an appointment with a psychiatrist. Psychiatrists specialize in all types of chemical imbalances in the brain and can prescribe the correct medication that works for you. If you feel that you need to "talk" with someone in addition to meds...there are plenty of psychologists who specialize in people who have panic/anxiety disorders or problems.

Psychiatrists are sometimes hard to get into and you may have to wait a few months before there is an opening. So, I would go ahead and make the appointment but then also make an appointment with your regular doctor and tell him/her what you are experiencing and that you need something for panic attacks until you can get into see the psychiatrist.

I, personally, am prescribed Celexa and Klonopin for my panic disorder...I've been on this combination of meds for 9 years and have been absolutely panic-free. I was very fortunate because they were able to get my meds "right" the first time but sometimes it takes awhile to figure out what meds are right for you. If you are okay with taking meds for your panic disorder...please don't give up if they don't get your meds right the first or second time....the doc will find something that works for you.....sometimes people understandably get so frustrated with trying to find the right meds that they give up altogether and are miserable because they still live with panic attacks.

If you are really worried about your heart...I would ask your cardiologist if he/she would do an echocardiogram. An ECHO is like an ultrasound of one's heart and the doctor can usually tell for certain exactly what the problem is. I have very mild MVP but my doc was able to pick it up on the ECHO.

I wish you only the best of luck. If you have anymore questions that I can help you with them...I do check the boards very regularly.

Blessings,
    Cara

Last edited by ms_mod; 03-07-2007 at 11:41 AM.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:46 AM   #3
    vickie45
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User
    Re: Anxiety is killing me!

hi im 44 yr old female and my heart has skipped beats for several yrs is this related to why some people end up with panic attacks? just wondering i also have thyriod only mines under active it may be because i had my left ovary and tube removed jan 2006 but i dont know i have severe aniety and yes panic and when i get scared i allways fall down my heart rate goes up so far my b/p is normal and the only other thing i feel is my head hurts non stop i take tylenol every 6 hrs every day i feel it in the top of my head and the back of my head i also have severe depression my tsh level was 845 its now down to 628 im on the 50 of the levothyroxine but hes switching me to the name brand sat when i run out of these i take 2 of the 25's right now .i cry allmost everyday i am taking celexa 10 mg i cut them in half because the side effects were horrible i got dizzy i felt faintness ,depression ,fear, i just felt like i wanted to just die my life hasnt been the same since jan 2006 .im going to a nerology dr the 20th to find out whats wrong for one thing i have had the fainting spells since sept and i still have them ever so often i also have agraphobia and the panic and the aniety is really bad i take 1 mg xanax 3 times a day or id lose it .im taking celexa but they arent helping me at all but i have to take something till i see my internal med dr i had to switch drs cause i didnt like my old dr.he did nothing for me at all.i have also tried zoloft 50 mg effexor xr 75 mg they worked for like 5 mos also lexipro and paxil and paxil was the worst i couldnt handle them at all.

Last edited by vickie45; 03-08-2007 at 06:50 AM.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:19 PM   #4
    hairier yet..
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hairier yet.. HB User

Greg,

I'm not trying to tell you this is the answer, but I knew someone very similar to you and I always wondered if some, maybe all of his problem was him, or in his own head. He always seemed to make a mountain out of a molehill, if you've heard that expresssion. If he got a mosquito bite that would swell any, he'd worry himself into anemia wondering if a deadly spider had bitten him, thinking he may die. I felt sorry for him really, because I always felt he lived in bondage to imagining the worst over everything. That's not the way we were designed to live.

What I'm trying to say to you is yes, definately find you a good, patient, possibly young phychiatrist and tell him your story. You may be in bondage to your fear as well, that is if I was right about my friend. A lot of it could be mental, and the phychiatrist may be able to help you work it out.

All in all what I'm saying is maybe a lot of it is mind over matter. If so, and you begin to see it you can begin to recover and live a more normal life.

Best regards.

-h

Last edited by hairier yet..; 03-08-2007 at 10:22 PM.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:08 AM   #5
    dgal53
    (male)

dgal53 HB User

Hi Greg,
    I sympathize with your problem. Yours is the closest description to my anxiety panic attacks I've seen. Mine were related to PVC's, just like yours. The PVC would occur, then the panic attack, then the anticipation, the PVC and on and on. PVC's are normal for most of us and PVC's feel weird, they kind of feel like when a really fast elevator starts to drop. Anxiety is just as weird, it feels like that instant you know you are going to have a traffic accident, but you feel that way all the time. By all means, get your heart checked out first. It took me two years and a patient dr. to break the PVC/panic cycle. I took meds, Xanax by day, Pamelor by night. I still take a maintenance dose of Pamelor. One day, it just happened. Believe it or not, when the panic/anxiety problem went away, so did the PVC's.

Old 03-11-2007, 11:00 AM   #6
    Squelchie
    (female)

Squelchie HB User

Hi Vickie -

My psychiatrist once told me that those who have panic/anxiety disorder (which, I believe he said is a chemical imbalance in the brain) have it from birth. People who have panic/anxiety can go through their childhood, teen years, etc....and then something very stressful that happens to that person triggers the first panic attack. For instance, my first panic attack was triggered by a skipped heartbeat that I felt out of nowhere when I was 18. On the other hand, I have a brother who is 18 years older than I am and he didn't have any problems with panic/anxiety until he felt a tightness in his chest at the age of 50.
    So, what I'm trying to say is that those of us who have anxiety/panic disorder are born with this chemical imbalance (or maybe chemicals change as we get older...I'm not quite certain) and then something stressful or very scary happens to us and then our bodies react with panic. Once you have that first panic attack you become a nervous wreck because you wait anticipating the next attack.
    I, too, have an under active thryoid. I take .125 mg. of Levoxyl every day. When I first started having problems with my thyroid...it took me a couple of years to start feeling "normal" again. My thryoid disorder didn't effect my anxiety but, just like you, I had crying spells, depression, I was very easily distracted, when I would talk I'd forget what I was saying mid-sentence, I was fatigued, I gained 60 lbs....I really thought that I was losing my mind!! It's been 4 years since I was diagnosed with an under active thyroid and I bet it was 2-3 years before I felt somewhat normal again. Don't let my experience scare you...I know people who are given the correct dosage of medication for their thyroid problem and come out of it very quickly.
    This is only a suggestion but have you ever thought about going to a psychiatrist concerning your panic/anxiety problems?? I tried working with my Internist to get a handle on my anxiety for years but I didn't get true relief until I went to a psychiatrist.
    Vickie, I really hope you find peace very soon!

Blessings,
    Cara

Last edited by ms_mod; 03-11-2007 at 11:26 AM.

Closed Thread