It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Overly sensitive to everything?!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-18-2007, 10:27 AM   #1
    NicoletteAshley
    (female)

NicoletteAshley HB User
    Overly sensitive to everything?!

I seem to be sensitive to practically everything such as caffeine, exercise, a little wine, when I get sick my anxiety and panic go through the roof, and it lasts weeks, I get panic attacks taking showers! The list can go on and on, but my point is, is that almost everything I do causes anxiety and panic. I had developed Bronchitis almost a month ago, and my breathing and sensations in my lungs is totally freaking me out! It feels like I'am going to stop breathing. My body gets extremely tense, and it feels like I'am going to die. That horrible feeling of impending doom. Ever since I came down with Bronchitis, my anxiety and panic have been so bad, I'am house bound again. Can anxiety disorders make you ultra sensitive like this?? It's just that everything is to the extreme with my body, there is no in between. I have not been house bound for a year, and now it feels like I'am back at square 1. I can't do this again. I will literally loose it. I'am crying right now, because of the thought of it, and I'am completely exhausted. I have taken Alprazolam (XR), and it has not touched my anxiety. I don't know what else to do. All I can think of is, I'am an extremely sensitized, so when the majority of people deal with these problems ''normally'', I just have a hard time handling. I would really like to know if this is the case with anxiety disorders, and also if the Vagus Nerve is sensitized and or affected by GAD. Sorry to go on and on, it's just that I'am really scared right now, and this is the only place I can go, and the people here know what it is like to go through this. Any replies will much appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

~NicoletteAshley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2007, 10:41 AM   #2
    emmablue
    (female)

emmablue HB User
    Re: Overly sensitive to everything?!

I am so sorry you are having such a hard time. I really can't offer any advice but I just wanted to offer support. I am sure someone on this board can give you some information. I only know that anxiety can affect everything in your body so to me it would not surprise me that that is what is happening to you. It just that once a person with anxiety or panic starts to think about things even if they are not all that bad they can be excelerated into something horrible. It's like we work ourselves up so much then it's out of control. It's a horrible thing to deal with.

Hang in there and I hope you get some answers!

Emma

Old 03-18-2007, 10:44 AM   #3
    chaseryder
    (male)

chaseryder HB User

well ashley, i am no doctor, but I do sympathize since I do deal with anxiety to the extreme...been dealing with it for about 3 years or so...and I find it very troubling also...i been on celexa, zoloft and now prozac...and this med may be too sensitive for me also...my anxiety is through the roof, i cant breathe, and im just totally not myself...so I feel you, even though It does seem that your case is a little extreme...if I were u i would obviously try to find the right med then the right therapy...those 2 are key to solving the issue...I had great success with zoloft, yet i am aware certain meds work for certain people but its a thought to try...just stay optomistic, i know its hard, i have a hard time doing it, but you will get through it just takes time to find the right medecine and the right help, but you will get through this and life will go on...always have to put it in perspective, of how other people out their dealing with worse diseases are coping...well, good luck with everything, and keep us posted of how things go...

Old 03-18-2007, 03:29 PM   #4
    wholegrain
    Veteran
    (female)

wholegrain HB User

Reading your post is like looking in a mirror to me. I don't even feel like I can say anything in reply, because it would just be echoing back what you've already said. I cannot consume caffeine, sugar, or any type of mind-altering substance, not even cold medicine, without spiraling into a terrible panic attack that never completely goes away. For this reason I cannot take anxiety meds- they make my panic about a billion times worse. Doctors of all types always try to give me pills, and I have yet to find one who truly understands that I can. Not. Put. That. In. My. Body. They're always like, "What's the big deal? It's just nausea medicine" and maybe for 99% of people it is. But to me, that little pill is going to create a horrific world of terrible side effects and shuddering, bone-chilling panic.

I understand about the exercise and bronchitis too. The SECOND my heartrate gets a little up in exercising, I feel like a different person. I become convinced I am going to die and nothing and no one can tell me otherwise. And every little illness or affliction leaves me shivering in bed, with 911 poised on the phone just in case, for several days. Even my period.

Like you, it just feels like I am extremely sensitive to EVERYTHING. I watch someone consume a bottle of Coke and I think, "Are you crazy?? That has 65 grams of sugar and 20 milligrams of caffeine. I'd be in the emergency room right now if I drank that!" I look at other people jogging or having migraines or being pregnant and they seem like superheros to me.

But sadly, yes this is just what it's like to live with severe anxiety. I do cognitive behavior therapy and it does help me. My only problem is sticking with it, but when I manage to, I feel like I actually could become the kind of person I dream about becoming. Somebody brave and invincible. Perhaps you should give it a try?

Something else that helps me is writing it all out, and going back and reading what I wrote. When I talk to people on here and other forums, I realize that I am not alone and this confirms that all of this IS just anxiety. It also helps to read what I wrote and realize how ridiculous a lot of it is.

And remembering things that I have done that I would never do now helps me be less sensitive. Extraordinary things. Last August I marched 4 miles in the 90 degree heat in New Orleans for a funeral march on the anniversary of Katrina. I remember that when I've been riding my bike and I get panicky from my heartrate. I think, "If I survived that, I can survive this". I remember the time me and my husband, before we were married, drank 3 two liters of soda in the car on a road trip and then bounced off the walls all night being witty and hyper. When I have to take a pill for something, I think, "If I survived that, I can survive this".

Old 03-18-2007, 04:11 PM   #5
    Trixibel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Trixibel HB User

I can relate to both of you - Nicolette and Wholegrain. I am very sensitive to things too. Wine makes my heart rate go up - don't know why, I love coffee but it makes me jittery but I still drink it. Any sort of stress makes me completely lose my appetite. I've just finished a teaching degree (I'm 38) and last Friday I did a day's relief teaching and it was such a nightmare but because I was so stressed I couldn't eat until the end of the day. Doing exercise terrifies me because I feel all these 'pains' and am convinced I'm about to have a heart attack.

It's all an absolute nightmare and I can't suggest anything except to reassure you that you're so not alone with all this. I've spent twenty years wasting time feeling really anxious and I hope you two manage to find something that helps you so you don't do the same.

Good luck.

T.

Old 03-18-2007, 06:41 PM   #6
    laura3377
    (female)

laura3377 HB User

Well, I can also relate to what everybody here is saying. I seem to have become overly sensitive to everything as well. I have to stay away from caffeine, too much sugar, any heavy foods like pizza, alcohol and medications - forget about it! I get so nervous about side effects from medicine that it throws me into a total panic. Even things that are supposed to calm you like Xanax, Ativan, etc. can have the opposite effect on me.

I had been doing pretty good with the anxiety and panic until mid-January when I got sick and ever since I've been a wreck. I think possibly worse than I've ever been. I went to Target with my husband today and the whole time I was soooo uncomfortable and absolutely sure I was going to have a heart attack in the middle of the store. It seems ridiculous when I'm writing it but when it's happening there is no reasoning with me.

I was very active before I started experiencing anxiety/panic which was about 3 years ago. I went to the gym 4-5 days a week - nothing phased me. Now, I am scared to walk around the block because my heart may give out on me. Of course, this is not going to help my heart in the long run. Inactivity can be a killer - I'm so deconditioned now. My husband is going to be running a 10K at the end of March and I get so jealous because I would be so happy to be able to do things like that but I don't think I could run 100 yards much less a 10K. However, I haven't gained any weight even with my lack of activity because half the time I'm too nervous to eat or paranoid about the food I eat.

I am going to be looking into Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to see if that will help. I have got to find a way to get my life back.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:43 AM   #7
    NicoletteAshley
    (female)

NicoletteAshley HB User

Thank you all very much for your replies. It makes me feel a lot better knowing I'am not alone, although I would never wish this upon anybody. To Wholegrain: I can definitely relate to the cola thing! My younger sister lives on soda, and I get anxious just watching her drink it for the exact same reasons:Too much sugar and caffeine. All of these posts are exactly how I feel. I wish I could be ''normal'' and perform everyday activities, without having a panic attack, or the thoughts racing through my mind that I'am going to have a heart attack, that I may have Cancer, or that I have some disease the Doctors have yet to find. I have been to a few, but I do not believe that I'am healthy when all of this stuff is happening to me. I have even been questioning their diagnostic abilities. I guess I would benefit from CBT. I have never tried it, but I'am trying to find a therapist. I just wish I was a stronger person, and like someone said in their post, people with migraines and joggers are like their super heroes, well that's how I feel too! I'am jealous of people who can drink coffee, exercise or just do everyday normal things.The sad part is that I'am only 19 yrs old. I can't let this ruin my life. I hope everybody, myself included will overcome this one day. Again, thanks everyone!!

~NicoletteAshley

Old 03-19-2007, 04:17 PM   #8
    Trixibel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Trixibel HB User

It's nothing to do with being a 'stronger person'. We all have our strengths and everyone - including 'superhero' joggers - have their vulnerabilities.

But - you're 19 - the age where my nightmare started. Get the help!! All the help you can. Do the CBT and get your life back. At least you know it's anxiety whereas I went for years not knowing what was going on with me.
    And don't beat up on yourself because you're like this - we're genetically programmed. We can't help it any more than we can help having blue eyes.

Good luck.

Closed Thread