It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Lexapro dosage? How high is too high?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-27-2007, 09:19 AM   #1
    DKScully
    (female)

DKScully HB UserDKScully HB User
    Lexapro dosage? How high is too high?

Hi everyone! I have question I hope some of you can help me with. What dose of Lexapro do all of you take (or have you taken in the past)? I started at 10 mg about two years ago. About a year later, my doctor increased my dosage to 20 mg. And then Saturday, my psychiatrist told me he wants me to try 30 mg because I was complaining about increased anxiety recently, for no apparent reason.

From what I've read, it seems that most people don't go above 20 mg, so I'm worried, even though I tolerate Lexapro well. I had very bad experiences with Effexor and Wellbutrin, both prescribed by a family doctor, not a psychiatrist. I haven't had any negative side effects to the Lexapro, and remain 5'8", 130 lbs, after two years on the medication. The lack of interest in sex is the worst part, but my boyfriend is very understanding, and is just happy that I'm not crying all the time like I used to be!

In terms of other background info, I'm an otherwise-healthy 27-year-old girl/woman (haha). I've been diagnosed with GAD and depression (but the depression is secondary to the anxiety). Oh, and PMDD, which may play a role in all of this. I have had one panic attack in my life, and that was a couple months ago, and my doctor thinks it was caused by a weird reaction to Ambien CR, which had been making my heart race and increasing my blood pressure for days). I am generally the type of functional person that no one guesses suffers the way I do.

In addition to the now-30 mg of Lexapro, I'm on 100 mg of Trazodone for sleep, and take 1 mg of Lorazepam "as needed" for anxiety (usually daily).

I never wanted to be on all of these meds, but I just want to feel better, and Lexapro did make me feel better, so I kind of feel OK about the higher dose, but it kind of worries me.

Anyway, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks so much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2007, 07:41 PM   #2
    moni1013
    (female)

moni1013 HB User
    Re: Lexapro dosage? How high is too high?

Don't freak out
    I am currently on 30 MG of Lexapro and 100 MG of Lamictal and 10 MG of Ambien. I went up to 30 MG of Lexapro because I was still having problems with anxiety in the evenings when I was trying to relax at night. Adding the Lamictal has been a god-send for me. It takes a long time to get up to the correct dose and you will read/hear a lot about the "dreaded rash" but I can tell you it has helped me with my panic attacks and depression so much.

I have read about people taking even more than 30 MG of Lexapro a day so I would not be worried about this. However; if you don't feel like it is working for you then talk with your doctor. I have learned that there are a lot of options out there and even if it seems are to try new meds or switch, it is really worth it.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:43 PM   #3
    Superp150
    (male)

Superp150 HB User
    Re: Lexapro dosage? How high is too high?

I took 20mg for over 3 years and had no problems.......I have heard of people taking 80mgs per day with no problems. It all depends on the person.

I dont think 30mgs would be a problem. Just give a few weeks to start working on the higher doses.

God Bless!!!!

Closed Thread