It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• buspar good for anxiety

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-07-2007, 11:37 AM   #1
    younggranny
    Veteran
    (female)

younggranny HB User
    buspar good for anxiety

I was wondering if anyone could give me their experience of being on buspar.Was it helpful and did this drug have many side effects and how soon did it take effect. Also could you take xanax while being on buspar.. thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2007, 11:59 AM   #2
    stressedteacher
    Inactive
    (female)

stressedteacher HB User
    Re: buspar good for anxiety

Hi -- I have heard that buspar takes forever to work. A friend of mine is on it and she said that it doesnt make much of a difference.

Have you considered taking seroquel? In low does, it works great for anxiety and it's non addicting.

Be well,

stressed.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:13 PM   #3
    nuttygirl
    Veteran
    (female)

nuttygirl HB User

Hi,
    I took buspar 15mg twice daily for a while with very little relief. It slightly took the edge of my anxiety but did nothing for my panic attacks. I then went to a psych who put me on xanax and told me to stop the buspar as it's like baby aspirin when it comes to severe anxiety or panic. The 2 together are not dangerous though, I checked that out when I started the xanax because I was worried about just stopping the buspar cold turkey so I took the 2 together for a little bit and had no side effects. The buspar, for me, had no side effects. I've read the most common is lightheadedness, headache and upset tummy. It works well for some people. If you're anxiety isn't acute it may help you. I'm only on xanax now and have been feeling like my anxiety is creeping back up on me. I hope you find your answer!

Take Care,
    Tori

Old 04-07-2007, 12:17 PM   #4
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User

Everyone reacts to meds differently. Try it - if it doesn't work with you then try another. These types of meds usually take 4 to 6 weeks to take full effect. i have tried so many - Paxil, wellbutrin, Celexa Lexapro and prozac. my favorite one was Prozac. Celexa was good too - I was too tired on it though. Soemtimes you can get it right the first time and sometimes you have to try many to get the right one for you.

Old 04-07-2007, 04:40 PM   #5
    aussie_jono
    Inactive
    (male)

aussie_jono HB User

If you're looking for a medication which isnt habit forming, Atarax, 50 - 100mg 3 times a day, might be helpful.

I take Cipramil 20mg in the morning every day, and have Atarax on had to take "as needed"

I also have some Valium for especialy bad days, but havent had to take one literaly for months

Old 04-09-2007, 07:17 AM   #6
    younggranny
    Veteran
    (female)

younggranny HB User

Thanks everybody for your replies..I'm not sure if i will give it a try or not

Old 04-09-2007, 12:21 PM   #7
    marian100
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

marian100 HB User

i have been on buspar for 3 years and it is a wonder for me. i had severe anxiety that came on all of a sudden and after going through a month of trying anti's, not sleeping for more than 4-5 hrs a night, and losing weight, i went on the buspar. i felt better in 4 days. by 2 weeks i went out of town and by 4weeks i was well. it has very little side effects and is not addictive. hope this helps. God bless

Closed Thread