It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• From prozac to zoloft

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-24-2007, 01:35 PM   #1
    purebliss
    (female)

purebliss HB User
    From prozac to zoloft

Has anyone found success with zoloft after having been on prozac for several years? I am on day 4 of 50 mgs. of zoloft, and having many unpleasant side effects. I first tried to increase my prozac from 20 to 30 mgs., but it made me just too anxious. The pdoc suggested trying zoloft, as it has been helpful for my mom and two of my kids. Am I just giving up too soon, or will it get better if I try and persevere? My side effects are increased anxiety, nausea, loss of appetite, and diarrhea. I need to hear good, positive input, or I'm afraid that I will stop taking this med. Any suggestions anyone?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2007, 03:24 PM   #2
    Dawn B.
    (female)

Dawn B. HB User
    Re: From prozac to zoloft

Hi,
    I was on Paxil for 6 years, and decided to go off it. That was a mistake. Then I tried Zoloft because my good friend has used it for 14 years with great results. After a month on it it has not worked, and I wound up going back on my Paxil. I should never have stopped the Paxil. I thought I could get off it if I weaned slowly. No dice. My friend took Zoloft for abot 6 years at 50 mg. then it stopped working for her, and she upped it to 100 mg. ever since. I have a friend with OCD that takes 200 mg. Zoloft and it works great for her. My Paxil just stopped working a month or so ago, and now I went on Lexapro 4 days ago. I have diarrhea and cramping. I just got over a long fight with ulcerative colitis due to a bacteria I picked up, and now to get diarrhea does not set well. I've had a rough day dealing with it all.
    Dawn <><

Old 04-25-2007, 10:01 AM   #3
    purebliss
    (female)

purebliss HB User

I'm sorry you are having a bad time. I am hoping that the Zoloft works for me. If not, then I will probably go back on the Prozac. Zoloft has been a great success story for my mom, and two of my kids. Why did you ever stop the Paxil to begin with if you were doing well on it? Maybe a month of the Zoloft wasn't enough? I just try to get by each day, and I take a xanax if it becomes too much. I really don't know too much about Lexapro, though I do know a few people who take it. I know one told me she went back to Prozac because of increased suicidal thought on Lexapro. It gets really hard at times to see light at the end of the tunnel.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:39 PM   #4
    Dawn B.
    (female)

Dawn B. HB User

I was doing well, and I thought I could wean off the Paxil slowly, and be fine. The anxiety didn't kick back in until I was totally off it for a month. But I did get back on it successfully for another year. My doc and several people have told me it's not at all uncommon for an SSRI to stop working after you have been on it a long time. Why did you change meds? I have a friend that has been on Zoloft for 14 years and it keeps working, thought she did have to double her dose after about 6 years. After beling on Zoloft for a month, and up to 100 mg. with no sign of improvement, that is why I went back to Paxil.
    God I pray this Lexapro works well for me. It's only been 5 days, I've had an anxious day. Yesterday was a weepy day. I took a Klonpin this morning, but I didnt' get that feel good feeling like usual. No idea why.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:42 PM   #5
    Dawn B.
    (female)

Dawn B. HB User

Oh forgot to say that when I went on the Lexapro I got cramping and diarrhea, still not good today at day 5. I really wanted a smooth transition and it to just work from the first dose, but sadly, these drugs don't work that way. If you have only been on it a few days too, you need to wait it out. I read a post somewhere else on this board from someone who got the effects you do but waited it out and ended up happy.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:10 AM   #6
    purebliss
    (female)

purebliss HB User

I have been off and on Prozac for over ten years. My depression/anxiety/ibs comes in episodes. I don't really know what triggers it. When this new episode started, pdoc tried to increase me to 30 mgs. I have never taken more than 20, ever. This made me so anxious, I thought I was going to burst out of my skin. So he suggested trying the Zoloft, as it had worked for other family members. I am on 50 mgs, and this is day 7. I do not feel worse, or better. Actually, still pretty crappy. People tell me to try and hold on for 2-3 weeks and it will get better. That sounds like an eternity when you feel like this. How do you manage? I also see a therapist, but I'm not real sure that helps much either. Thanks for your answers.

Closed Thread