It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Anyone tried neurontin (gabapentin) for anxiety?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-02-2007, 08:24 AM   #1
    Fibrana
    (female)

Fibrana HB User
    Anyone tried neurontin (gabapentin) for anxiety?

Hi everyone,

Just looking for advice. My therapist recently started me on gabapentin (neurontin) for anxiety. This is an epileptic drug, but has been proven in smaller doses to help anxiety. I'm only on 200 mg at bedtime to start. My sister who had a stroke and then subsequent neuropathy and seizures is taking 3600 mg per day! So, my dose is very low.

I recently quit smoking so I am having more anxiety than ever before.

Any advice on this drug would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2007, 10:07 AM   #2
    Botcho
    (male)

Botcho HB User
    Re: Anyone tried neurontin (gabapentin) for anxiety?

They put me on it.
    300mg at breakfast
    300mg at dinner

Seems to help. I am going to be weaned off probably starting tomorrow, so I will keep you posted.

I am also on
    1500mg of depakote
    30mg of Remeron

What is your current med cocktail.

Nice to meet you by the way.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:14 AM   #3
    Fibrana
    (female)

Fibrana HB User

Thanks for the info. Let me know how everything goes.

I'm just on lorazepam for sleep, 1-2 mg, plus 200 mg gabapentin, and 1 mg lorazepam for stress during the day if I need it. Tried Celexa, but I had too many side-effects, mainly hyper like crazy, so I was taken off. Now my therapist will not try me on any other antidepressants because of the side-effects of the Celexa! He said they are basically all the same. Neurontin is different he said. Less side-effects.

Do you find that the neurontin makes you tired if you take it during the day? I only take mine, at the moment, at bedtime.

Thanks!

Old 05-02-2007, 10:17 AM   #4
    ctrl-alt-del
    (male)

ctrl-alt-del HB User

Yes it works. You can take very high doses of it as well.

A new alternative to the same type of drug, but more efficient, is called Lyrica (pregabalin). Max daily dose of Lyrica is 600mg per day, and it seems to be just as effective, if not even more effective, than Neurontin. If you start to get concerned about the high dosages required for Neurontin to work, ask your doctor about Lyrica.

However, I still think that the best way to treat anxiety is through behavioral training...

The only way to overcome a fear is to face it.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:48 AM   #5
    Fibrana
    (female)

Fibrana HB User

Thanks for the info Ctl-Alt-Del. I'll mention it to my therapist. All of my major anxiety started last May when my fiance and I broke up, which totally devastated me and broke my heart. Nine days later, my stepmother of 41 years who I love dearly had a terrible fall and I had to watch her get better, then die slowly over 4 months, with not much support from my real father at all. Two weeks after my stepmother's fall, my mother found out she had breast cancer along with all her other health problems. Shortly after that, my father fainted and was brought my ambulance to the hospital all cut and bleeding, etc. Anyway, this all started a downward spiral of depression, anxiety, vomiting and nausea for months. I just haven't felt the same since, or felt any happiness at all. I'm trying to climb out of this, but it's taking a long, long time. When I try to sleep, so many thoughts and memories keep popping into my head and I can't control it. Now I've quit smoking which is great, but it has caused tremendous anxiety/depression on top of everything else. I try to put on a good front when in public or with family, but no one really knows the true depth of what I'm going through.

Thanks for listening.

S.

Last edited by msmod; 05-02-2007 at 11:08 AM.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:53 PM   #6
    Fibrana
    (female)

Fibrana HB User

Hi Traveller! It sounds like we're a lot alike! LOL On the smoking cessation boards and on here!

Well, I'll try the neurontin for awhile and see how it goes. Do you like Cymbalta? I'm not too familiar with that one. My doc says because of my reaction to Celexa, he does not want to try me on anything else, so my hands are tied right now, and I'm hoping the neurontin works. I've done a lot of reading about it on the internet and it sounds okay. The only thing that scared me is that I read somewhere that if you stop taking neurontin, you could have seizures, even if you've never had them before! Gulp. That's a little scary. However, lately I seem to be "over-catastrophizing" (as my therapist said) everything and worrying too much. I just don't know how to shut my thoughts off.

Thanks for your response.

Old 05-02-2007, 03:50 PM   #7
    Botcho
    (male)

Botcho HB User

You mentioned it makes you tired. It does not have that effect on me, But you could be different. I would try it one morning when you don't have a lot planned.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:24 PM   #8
    Michael8466
    Veteran
    (male)

Michael8466 HB User

My doctor prescribed it for my nerve pain in my leg. I told him it wasn't doing anything for the pain, but I felt better mentally. He said it was also prescribed for anxiety and depression. The only thing I didn't like was the weight gain. I gained 10 pounds.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:35 PM   #9
    stressedteacher
    Inactive
    (female)

stressedteacher HB User

I am supposed to be taking 2400 mgs a day for anxiety. Most recently, it's been about 1600 or so. I believe in conjunction with my cocktail it really works but the weight gain is bad.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:53 AM   #10
    Fibrana
    (female)

Fibrana HB User

Wow! 2400 mg for anxiety? That sounds like more a dose for epilepsy. I've recently been upped to 900 mg per day. It seems to make me calmer, but doesn't seem to help me sleep at night.

I've gained 5 pounds, but I think that is from quitting smoking. Not sure now after reading everyone's posts about gaining weight.

My doctor tried me recently on Wellbutrin as well, but I had bad side-effects from that, so I stopped it yesterday.

I'm not sure what the typical dose of Neurontin is for anxiety.

Good luck everyone.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:24 PM   #11
    stressedteacher
    Inactive
    (female)

stressedteacher HB User

I was placed on this dose while in the hospital and dealing with a lot.

Closed Thread