It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• heart palpitations and exercise

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-08-2007, 07:30 AM   #1
    freely
    (female)

freely HB User
    heart palpitations and exercise

I've dealt with anxiety for about 10 years (I'm 22 now) and I just recently started having heart palpitations. I remember reading that it was sometimes a symptom of anxiety or stress, and I'm pretty sure it's why because I've been very stressed lately.

It only happens when I stand up and am walking around, it stops when I sit. But I can feel my heart beating and I feel it up the side of my neck(on the left) and it kind of hurts. It's bearable but still doesn't feel very comfortable. I will be going to the doctor if it keeps going.

I just wanted to know if it's still ok to go jogging? If I feel the pain just from walking or standing, will jogging make me really have a problem?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2007, 08:04 AM   #2
    Christian73
    (male)

Christian73 HB User
    Re: heart palpitations and exercise

You may want to see your doctor and have an EKG. But in the past I've had the same sensation of feeling my heart pounding both during a panic attack and when I'm just feeling anxious. When you're feeling this kind of anxiety, it's not unusual to become oversensitive to what are normal bodily sensations.

Bumper Sticker in my therapist's office

Old 07-08-2007, 08:18 AM   #3
    VoodooBiker
    (male)

VoodooBiker HB User

I went to the ER about six weeks ago for heart palpitations. It was my first instance of a panic attack. My doctor prescribed me Toporil (sp?) - a beta blocker and my psychiatrist prescribed me Lexapro and generic-brand Klonopin. Both said exercise was good. But I would definitely consult your doctor before going on any type of exercise plan after you've experienced heart palpitations.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:27 AM   #4
    Laursky
    (female)

Laursky HB User

I had had anxiety and panic attacks for about two years before I started getting palpiltations. I was so freaked out by them that I was sitting on the computer for hours looking up symptoms of a heart attack. Also, mine were usually worse when standing up too.

I was 21 at that time, and being that you are 22 you're PROBABLY experiencing them from anxiety. But it certainly would be a good idea to get the EKG from your doc. I'm afraid of going to the doctor, but it was scaring me so badly I couldn't take it anymore.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:50 AM   #5
    sabpb7454
    (female)

sabpb7454 HB User

I just turned 24 and I was experiencing heart palpitations when i was 22/23 for quite a few months. At first I shrugged it off, but after time I decided to go see my dr. She did an EKG and said everything was perfect, but to ease my mind she suggested I see a cardiologist for a holter monitor (sp). I decided against that as I just wanted to wait it out. Sure enough I figured it was related to my stressful job so I decided to transfer to another department. As soon as I did, my palps disappeared almost overnight.

Is there anything going on in your life right now that is causing the added stress?

Old 07-11-2007, 09:54 AM   #6
    Doug84
    (male)

Doug84 HB User

it's always good to have them checked. i have had panic attacks since i was about 11. (i'm 41 now) and just this past spring started having bouts of palpitations, i went and had them checked and i am fine. they are related to anxiety. considering your age, i would say the same for you, but hey, have a professional make that determination.

Closed Thread