It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Buspar

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-01-2007, 03:07 PM   #1
    Botcho
    (male)

Botcho HB User
    Buspar

Saw the pdoc today and I was prescribed Buspar. The pdoc tried to use Neurontin, but it was not working.

I'd love to hear your opinion on Buspar.
    Also, anyone taking Buspar along with an anti-depressant?
    I am also on 30mg of Remeron.

Thanx!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2007, 04:05 PM   #2
    state808
    Inactive
    (female)

state808 HB User
    Re: Buspar

Hello,

Not to scare you or anything, but I took Buspar once and OMG....it gave me a racing heart beat! I was so mad at the doctor and told him my side effect. He told me to get off of it immediately. I also took Remeron and it actually made me feel like a lifeless zombie. (yuck). I felt so slow in the brain and it made me MORE depressed. So I got off of that drug like in 2 days. I took those meds years ago. But just because it didn't work for me, doesn't mean it won't work for you...we are all different. I tried a lot of meds that gave me side effects. Here are the meds.

1) Paxil ( terrible) Made me feel hyper, and nervous.
    2) Lexapro ( kills sex drive) ( hair loss) ( weight gain) and the withdrawls are a killer. Had suffered headaches for 2 months. Nerve pain through out body.
    3) Prozac ( made me hear auditory sounds) very scary.
    4) Trazadone ( made me dizzy and sick to my stomach)
    5) Remeron ( Depressed) ( slow thinking)
    6) Neurontin ( racing heart beat)
    7) Celexa Was okay. Only on it for a month and 1/2

Here are the benzo's
    1) Valium ( knocks me out)
    2) Xanax ( makes me feel jittery and adds to my anxiety) Hard to stop this med. Very addicting.
    3)Klonopin ( the best one). Great for anxiety.

Again don't let this discourage you from trying these meds.

I am totally against medications now, and trying to go natural. The only problem with natural remedies is that it takes a long time to work. And even those can have side effects. I am very sensitive to meds ( big time).

Anyways....I hope everything works out for you.

Aloha
    state808
    7)

Old 08-01-2007, 05:36 PM   #3
    Botcho
    (male)

Botcho HB User

Thanks for the post!

I am trying to find the best med for me.

Lexapro - made me hyper.
    Xanax - made me sleep. I refuse to take this due to addiction possibilities
    vistril - made me sleep, kind of like a super Benedryl
    Depakote - made me feel like a blob of nothing. I hated this med. I was eating a half gallon of ice cream a night.
    Remeron - Verdict is still out. Great for making you sleep, but that is about it.
    Neurontin - Was added to treat anxiety. But it is not doing anything, but give me a headache.

I need to find a good anti-anxiety med that treats my symptoms.

I feel like I have the physical aspects of anxiety moreso than mental.
    My hands tremble. I find myself taking deep breaths all of the time.

It's really weird but I feel better at night, like after the sun goes down.
    Maybe I am turing into a *******

I was also considering a beta-blocker.

I don't think my pdoc and I are on the same page.

He was like, we can take you off all the meds and see what happens. Yeah, thats a great idea. He want's me to tell him what I want. It really bugs me.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:53 PM   #4
    r76
    (male)

r76 HB User

I tried Buspar but it made me light headed and caused nauseua. I'm trying paxil right now, only into week 2, but it's causing some side effects too. I'm on inderal (beta blocker) and xanax right now too, but I haven't seen much improvement.

Originally, I was on xanax twice a day and inderal once and that was working really well, I felt normal, but then I cut back on the xanax and started on buspar, and now paxil, and it has been downhill since then.

Like you, I also feel more physical symptoms than mental. I have tremors in my hands and pain in my arms and legs. It's usually worse for me at night and in the morning. I also have shortness of breath, take lots of deep breaths, etc.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:26 AM   #5
    marian100
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

marian100 HB User

I have been on buspar for 3 years and have had no real problems with it. I do sometimes get a little dizzy after taking it but it doesn't last. It is non addicting with little side effects. I took celexa for about 8 weeks while on the buspar. No problems. Give it a try. Godbless

Old 08-02-2007, 09:45 AM   #6
    Botcho
    (male)

Botcho HB User

I am getting to the point where I am afraid to take anything. I feel like I have been through the mill with these medications. I don't mind taking something if it is going to help me.

The meds I am on now, don't seem to work. Or the grand question, do they work, just not enough. I am frustrated with the pdoc. He asks me what I want. I'm like, I'm coming to you for help for crying out loud. So then he suggests, we can take you off everything and see what happens. Yeah, thats smart. He then says, stay on Remeron and drop the Neurontin in place of the Buspar. I am afraid of dropping the Neurontin, fearing withdrawal symptoms. I don't need to fight even more anxiety.

I am on Remeron, yet I don't consider myself depressed. Depressed, yes over the state that I am in. I just wish that someone could treat the symptoms that I have with medications that can help me.

It is really frustrating.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:34 AM   #7
    marian100
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

marian100 HB User

I know how you feel. I have a hard time taking antidepressants so I was reluctant to take the buspar. But, for me, it was the best thing. It helped the anxiety and stopped the obsessive thoughts. I still get occasional anxiety thoughts but they do not last and if necessary I can take a xanax. Godbless

Old 08-03-2007, 07:42 AM   #8
    Andrea84
    (female)

Andrea84 HB User

I would imagine if he's suggesting dropping Neurontin he means tapering off it slowly to avoid withdrawal symptoms.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:34 PM   #9
    Botcho
    (male)

Botcho HB User

He is so fly by night which really bugs me, like he never has any time for me.
    I asked him about the Neurontin. I was talking 1200mg, 300mg 4 times a day.
    On Wednesday, he's like take it three times a day, Thursday 2 times a day and once on Friday. Great, when am I supposed to start the Buspar???
    When I am done with the Neurontin??
    I feel like a real puppet

Closed Thread