HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Anxiety (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/anxiety/)
-   -   Tell Me About Lexapro (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/anxiety/534203-tell-me-about-lexapro.html)

FLFLOWERGIRL 09-15-2007 07:21 PM

Tell Me About Lexapro

Hello everyone--My doctor prescribed Lexapro for anxiety over my health. Can anyone tell me about this drug any side effects and such? I have never been on an antidepressant before. I am currently going off the Xanax, I have taken the lowest dose for approx. 5 months I believe. It is being prescribed for pain in the neck, head, shoulders, doctors can't seem to understand why I have this with numb and tingly sensations. I even get this in my feet. No, I don't have diabetes either, so they say it is anxiety. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! FLFLOWERGIRL:confused:

all things 09-15-2007 07:47 PM

Re: Tell Me About Lexapro

I'm aware of 2 people that are on Lexapro that don't have any side effects.
They both are doing well. One has been on it 6 months, the other for over a year and through a pregnancy with a very healthy baby boy.

ashmegmom 09-16-2007 08:16 AM

I have been on it for a little over a month now and feel a lot better than I did. It has taken care of my anxiety and I can now sleep all night. I may have an occassional anxiety attack but not near the power of before the drug and doesn't last very long. The side effects I had are gone now. For the first couple of days it increased my nervousness some. Also I was tired for those days. When I increased my dose after the first week I had the same side effects again for a few days but they passed. It has definitely made a difference and was worth whatever the side effects I had.

tetianainto 09-16-2007 09:24 AM

Hi, I'm on celexa, which I believe is an earlier and very similar drug to lexapro....and i agree with the poster below...it has helped me in the same way. I find it to be a very good med for me for anxiety. I found effexor way too strong (turned into a zombie), and paxil sedated me too much. on celexa i have a lot of energy which is a blessing as my life is really busy right now. After months of anxiety and doing nothing as a result, this is really good for me.:)

I just want to add that everyone reacts differently to the different anxiety meds and it's often trial and error. But, I believe it is worth it.

best,

c

FLFLOWERGIRL 09-16-2007 07:06 PM

My doctor told me that there were no side effects with this drug and that you can stop it at once. Is this true? FLFLOWERGIRL:)

VoodooBiker 09-16-2007 08:12 PM

I was on Lexapro for about a year and a half and I stopped taking it. No side effects whatsoever. However, three years later, I had an anxiety attack and in addition to Klonopin, the doctor has also prescribed Lexapro. On the plus side, it has helped out tremendously.

tetianainto 09-17-2007 08:14 AM

[QUOTE=FLFLOWERGIRL;3211723]My doctor told me that there were no side effects with this drug and that you can stop it at once. Is this true? FLFLOWERGIRL:)[/QUOTE]

Hi, I'm not why he would say that.:confused: Different people react differently to all meds and you never really know until you try.......As you can tell from the posters to your question....most of us, if not all, have had good results. :) Yes, there were side effects, but they went away......and they were milder, for me, than for effexor and paxil.....

best, c

mizzaj 09-17-2007 05:52 PM

When I started having a lot of anxiety (more than usual) due to some other health problems I was having, I mentioned Lexapro to my psychiatrist. I have been on Prozac for the last four years, and I've gone up and down in doseage based on the stress I've had going on during particular times. I'm now on 30mg of Prozac.

Anyway, when I mentioned Lexapro, the doctor was like, "Well, they're all the same in terms of managing anxiety." So now I take 1 mg of Klonopin daily, plus 30mg of Prozac. I'd rather be on just one med though-- or less Klonopin. Do you think it's worth asking again about Lexapro? Paxil was too sedating and I gained weight, so that's a no. Has Lexapro caused any of you to gain weight? I was glad that Paxil curbed my anxiety, but the sedating effects, including weight gain, made me want to switch to Prozac. Now I wouldn't mind switching again-- dunno how effective the Prozac is anymore....

FLFLOWERGIRL 09-17-2007 06:19 PM

Thank you everone for your replies. I'm still going off Xanax, Ive cut the dose down and ready to stop it. I had no idea that there was going to be withdraw, I was on the lowest dose at that. I have never taken these meds before so I am learning. I really didn't like the way it made me feel either, the withdraw. If the antidepressants do this I don't want to take them. I really wish doctors would tell you more about how it effects your body.
I'm not sure what to do. I am glad that people are saying good things about Lexapro. How long do you wait in between taking a new medication after discontinuing another? Are side effects usually about 3 days? Thanks ! FLFLOWERGIRL:)

FLFLOWERGIRL 09-17-2007 06:23 PM

My Internist and Neuro both recommended Lexapro for anxiety, if that heps you. FLFLOWERGIRL:)

WeCarryOn 09-29-2007 12:54 PM

I tried several ADs including Lexapro. I was just so sensitive to them and had horrible side effects. Mostly more anxiety. My level was already so high I just could not tolerate them. However, I have found a very smart doctor. When he mentioned Lexapro for my anxiety I told him about my side effects. He said I was just sensitive to them and he started me on the liquid form of Lex at 1 mg a day. That was 3 months ago and I've slowly gone up to 2 mg. At first I had some trouble sleeping, but even at a low dose it has helped with my anxiety. He's going to raise me again in a couple of weeks. He wants me up to at least 5 mg by Christmas. I'm so glad to have found a doctor that will work with me this way. For those that have the side effects or are just afraid of starting Lexapro....talk to your doctor and see if this is the answer for you!

chile2 09-29-2007 02:38 PM

I was prescribed lexapro for general anxiety. It does help. I have no side effects. However I still do feel stress from work, especially deadlines.

conver 09-30-2007 05:41 AM

Hey,

I was put on Xanax and had a problem withdrawing, too. It took me quite a while to get used to not having it, but once I was off it, I felt better (less drowsy etc). Im not on Lexapro and have been for years ( 5 I think! ). My only side effects are night sweats and when I havent taken a tab for two+ days I feel sensitive and strange.

Your story sounds a lot like mine!
Good luck , Im doing well now - though I thought I never would!
x:)

FLFLOWERGIRL 09-30-2007 09:54 AM

Thank to all for the replies. I decided not to start the Lexapro because I don't think that I need it and I feel much better without the meds in my body. I also just don't want to take any more meds, my Neurologist said that I sound Neurotic. That wasn't a very nice thing to say. Guess he didn't like the fact that I didn't agree with him. FLFLOWERGIRL:)

walflower2 09-30-2007 06:36 PM

you have to remember that everyone is different and a med that has no side effects for some people may have a lot for others. The only thing you can do is try. I am on Paxil and it works for me. I have been on it for over 5 years and have had a slight amount of weight gain, but I can't say it is all due to the med as I haven't been exercising as much as I should or eating the best, so who knows what is the med. I did try Lexapro before the Paxil as my doc said it was newer and better. Unfortunately it didn't work for me. I had a bad reaction from it and was then put on the Paxil. Once on the Paxil, I had some nausea for the first week or so but slowly I was back to myself and it was amazing to have my life back!