It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Restarting Paxil-How long before relief??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-24-2007, 10:50 AM   #1
    Murt
    (female)

Murt HB User
    Restarting Paxil-How long before relief??

About a year and a half ago I took Paxil for anxiety. I did very well on it and after six months I thought it was time to stop. I tapered my medicine back until i no longer took any. After two months of being off of Paxil my anxiety came back. I have taking 6 Paxils so far and I am wondering how long it will be before I start to feel some relief? I am taking Xanax to help with the anxiety until the Paxil kicks in but the Xanax only gives me a very short time of relief. I can't remember how long it was before I felt relief the first time I took Paxil.

We go to Hawaii in 2 weeks and I don't want to feel this way while on vacation. Any encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2007, 07:23 PM   #2
    walflower2
    (female)

walflower2 HB User
    Re: Restarting Paxil-How long before relief??

I was on and off of Paxil a couple of times. I was off of it for almost a year when I was pregnant and then when I went back on it, it took a little over a week. I think it was 8-9 days total before I felt better. My psych told me that sometimes when you are on an SSRI and go off of it that you may need to increase the dosage when you restart again. I didn't have to initially but have since (which is probably just because I have been on it for so long). So, I would give it at least a few more days and then if you are still not getting any relief talk to your doc. It took me a good 2 weeks before I was feeling back to myself but I started feeling relief around 8-9 days

Old 09-24-2007, 09:14 PM   #3
    hotdam
    Veteran
    (female)

hotdam HB User

I just went to the doc today and he increased my dose to 40mg I am currently taking 20 it doesnt seem like its doing its thing, I have been on it for over 8 months. the xanax sure helps me when needed.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:35 AM   #4
    Murt
    (female)

Murt HB User

Thanks for your replies. It gives me encouragement that this might be over within the next day or two.

Closed Thread