It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Anxiety and muscle twitching anyone??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-08-2007, 05:16 PM   #1
    confused78
    (female)

confused78 HB User
    Unhappy Anxiety and muscle twitching anyone??

Hello everyone,
    I suffer from anxiety, mostly about health. I have recently been thinking I have some awful, fatal disease like ALS. My main concern is muscle twitching. I have done so much reading about, and know that it's rare at my age, 28, but i'm worried about my twitching. I saw a neurologist who ran tests, and everything looked normal. But I constantly have twitching, pretty much in any muscle, especially when I'm resting. Does anyone else suffer from widespread twitching??? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2007, 08:24 PM   #2
    confused78
    (female)

confused78 HB User
    Re: Anxiety and muscle twitching anyone??

Anyone? Please

Old 10-08-2007, 09:45 PM   #3
    Tim 007
    (male)

Tim 007 HB User

I too suffer from twitching and anxiety, and I thought it could be ALS, or MS. I talked with my doctor about it, and he said that muscle twitching is a common response to anxiety and stress. ALS causes muscle cramping and pain, uncontrollable periods of laughing or crying, muscle weakness resulting in tripping over things or dropping stuff, difficulties in lifting objects, impairment of the use of legs or arms, voice changes, breathing difficulties, trouble dressing yourself and buttoning buttons, and swallowing problems. If muscle twitching is all you have, don't worry about it. If you still think you could have ALS try searching "neuroexam" that you can do online. Some show certain tests that professionals use, and you can see how you do. It sure made me feel better. By the way, if your familiar with the show south park, they have a character "Tweak" who's a constant muscle twitching mess based entirely on anxiety... =p
    P.S. ALS usually begins in a localized area, or a single arm/leg, so if you "mildly" twitch all over...it's a good sign.

Last edited by Tim 007; 10-08-2007 at 09:53 PM. Reason: to further educate the minds of fellow anxiety sufferers everywhere.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:56 PM   #4
    hillz_nz
    (female)

hillz_nz HB User

Yep i twitch sometimes too. Mainly in my neck/head? And only really when i'm resting/thinking about/in a social situation. I don't get it all the time, but i think the trick is to just breathe properly and stay calm.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:22 PM   #5
    alpdancer
    (female)

alpdancer HB User

I have experienced muscle twitching also, mainly during periods where my anxiety is acting up. I looked up my symptoms and found a diagnosis which seems to fit: BFS--benign fasciculation syndrome. I also saw a neurologist at one point who said that anxiety can cause almost any physical symptom you could imagine. I try to keep that in mind when I start to become anxious about a new symptom. Good luck to you, I hope you find some information and relief.

Last edited by msmod; 10-09-2007 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Removed discussion of another message forum. Ms_Mod

Old 10-09-2007, 06:00 PM   #6
    confused78
    (female)

confused78 HB User

Thank you for all of you responses. Are your twitches all over? Mine are like one here, one there, like popcorn popping. It's driving me nuts. I have them in any muscle you can think of.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:02 AM   #7
    hillz_nz
    (female)

hillz_nz HB User

Mine come on when my anxiety is the worst really, usually when i can control it but when it's persistently there?

Old 10-10-2007, 06:31 PM   #8
    theoneandonly22
    (female)

theoneandonly22 HB User

ah! i twitch too certin muscals randomly only happen when im in a stressful situation <though> or things that cause me anxiety i will randomly twitch <you're> not alone!

Last edited by msmod; 10-11-2007 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Replaced text message, chat room words with the proper words. Please follow the posting rules. Ms_Mod

Old 10-13-2007, 09:14 PM   #9
    robinette2
    (female)

robinette2 HB User

I to thought I had asl or ms, but:
    My dr put me on Lexapro and I started to twitch. Mostly at bed time. It would be like my arm, leg, head stomach or even my whole body at once. Every night. It is like single twitches that jolt me out of bed. After looking into Lexapro a small % of people will have that as a side effect. I since went to my Dr and she said yes that is true and she is weaning me off of the Lexapro and trying me on Paxil. I asked her if it will continue with the Paxil and she said everyone is so different and alot of time its a trial until you find something that works for you. Sadly I read some people never stop twitching after they start it from taking different anxiety meds. I hope mine goes away, because it scares me to death and it's something you just cant ignore.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:03 AM   #10
    uncgal50
    (female)

uncgal50 HB User

I am glad to read this thread. I am having the "twitches" too. Just as I am falling asleep or getting really relaxed, I'll have a twitch. It's that feeling you have when you are almost asleep and your body jumps and gives the "heart attack feeling." I had one in my stomach area yesterday. Had some in legs and mid body area. It really alarmed me. I'm trying not to be a hypochondriac but I worried I was going to have a seizure. Going to dr for consult on Wed. Been on 50 mg zoloft for a month. Everybody hang in there, we're not alone in this journey. Have a good day.

D

Old 10-15-2007, 01:48 PM   #11
    robinette2
    (female)

robinette2 HB User

You sound like me. They always happen when I am about to fall asleep or really relaxed. The stomach ones and the full body onesI think scare me the most. I used to only get one or 2 a night, then it got to about 20 a night. I have a very good Dr and she didn't think I was crazy when I told her about it, hope your is the same. Good Luck.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:12 PM   #12
    eloise_girl24
    (female)

eloise_girl24 HB User

ive had a really bad facial twitch for about 4 years now. if i half-smile, my whole face quivers. when my anxiety gets bad, it goes beserk. the only time i dont have it is when im on my klonopin. when ive been stressed for days and it's just building up, ill get a really bad twitch in my right eye that will last for days. its really bothersome...my whole upper eyelid will pulse, it's so drastic other people will notice it, it's embarrassing.

Closed Thread