It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Please Help! I suffer from severe anxiety

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-08-2007, 10:49 PM   #1
    anders15
    (male)

anders15 HB User
    Please Help! I suffer from severe anxiety

I'm Scottie, I'm 1* years old. I couldn't have a better life, I have a great girlfriend, I'm a homecoming king, a football and basketball captain, and have my future almost lined out, and seemingly have everything going for me. My sophomore year I had a partial spleenectomy from a football injury, in which i've fully recovered from and back to a somewhat normal life, until about 2 months ago. I started out at a new job in a warehouse in which was full of dust and mold, BAD mistake as I have fairly bad allergy and sinus problems and I was constantly sick due to working there. I quit which was a doctor's order because or severe nausea and dry heaving almost on a daily basis. I was clueless, after about 2 weeks straight of being nauseated I couldn't take it anymore. The doctor suggested I had my tonsils out and I went on with the procedure which indeed, made me sicker. I have since been back and forth to doctors, and to the ER 4 or 5 times feeling like I'm dying and have this overwhelming feeling that's indiscribeable. I also have vasovagal syncope which is a fainting syndrome but is not anything to serious. I have been to a GI doctor who says it's just acid reflux, and prescribed me prevacid, which made me go into a state of depression. I got to the point where I couldn't take it anymore, and one day got sick with these symptoms: constant nausea, cold sweats, and a warmth feeling over my body, and trembling, severe dizziness, tension headache and a burning sensation in my stomach and chest. I've have every test immaginable done from a CT scan to a heart monitor and everything seems to come back fine, I went to a cardiologist and everything came back normal.

I'm currently in the middle of a football season, and finally came to a conclusion I have anxiety and depression. I have been seeing a psychiatrist and counselor because of my obsessive worry. I honestly feel as if I'm on my death bed at times and there's no hope. I'm on Xanax .5 to relieve my anxiety symptoms which seems to work, but doesn't get me totally over the hump. My thyroid is normal, everything seems to be normal, but I still get these attacks where i feel a warming sensation come over my body as if I'm gonna faint and I kind of go blank and start freaking out and have thought I have anywhere from cancer to a brain tumor. It's a very overwhelming feeling and I'm trying to cope with it. I don't understand how it can just come out of no where and how hard it is to function daily without having one of the symptoms. I've had full blown panic attacks there seem deadly, but in reality there's nothing wrong with me, BUT i feel as if it's more than anxiety but my doc's tell me I hit the symptoms right on the money. It literally makes me feel ill. I'm going to see another GI doctor to hopefully relieve my stomach pressures and acid reflux. Can anyone provide any help for me, or is anyone on the same page as me. I feel separated from the rest as if I'm the only one that feels this way, and I'm so sick of the constant worry, I want to get back to my normal life. Any help would be well appreciated.
    Thanks,

Scottie

Last edited by msmod; 10-09-2007 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Please don't disclose your age. Ms_Mod

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2007, 08:42 PM   #2
    SadFreek
    Veteran
    (male)

SadFreek HB User
    Re: Please Help! I suffer from severe anxiety

hey Scotty,

Sounds to me like youve got "anicipatory anxiety", in other words, fear of another attack. I had this at 21 and it cost me a great career in the Air Force (and later in the ARMY)

You need to read the tips for anxiety at the top of the anxiety forum. Just be part. Try not to worry about the future. Live in the present, I know its hard, but I am on day 3ish and it works good for me. Dont think about the scare of panicking in the future, live in the NOW. Read it all, take it in. It does help. And take the xanax when you feel very anxious, but try to keep it "as needed" if you can. But take it if you need to. (of course, follow the doctors orders)

Youve got a lot going for you, I hope this helps, and time does help too. Youll get better soon...face your fears, it helps also if you get agoraphobic.

Last edited by SadFreek; 10-09-2007 at 08:43 PM.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:10 PM   #3
    Pri Lily
    Inactive
    (female)

Pri Lily HB User

Hi Scotty.....

Your life was perfect, and then you had to have an operation. And you realized that you can't take good health for granted. And you're scaring yourself silly with it.

Who's expectations are you trying to live up to, that were dashed by the spleen operation?

The warm feeling, is a "hot flash" reaction to thinking/anticipating something that's your worst nightmare......when you get that, make sure to take note of what you were thinking right before it happened. (Bet the top of your head feels like it's gonna blow off too, right?)

You're not alone......

Lil

Old 11-14-2007, 11:06 AM   #4
    xhannahxwx
    (female)

xhannahxwx HB User

Hi there, its ok, not to worry i have the same as you, i keep on worrying just like you, i thought i was the only one 2!!! i have had those feelings thinking i have cancer or a brain tumour aswell, it is really depressing! you almost feel as if you are different to everyone else! Its really hard to forget, when you keep on thinking things are wrong all the time! I am so glad i have met someone the same as me lol! i have also had a burning sensation in my stomach, i have also had really tight chest pains where i think i cant breath tidy! its terryfying! i have spoke to alot of people that have had anxiety problems and have got over it! so i am trying to get over it myself now, i am currently taking a form of anti depressents too help me through it! they seem to be working slowly and i am beginning to feel happier in myself! the tablets are not addictive and doesnt make you feel drowzy! please do not worry!!! you will get through it, well i am trying too! write back soon hannah x

Last edited by msmod; 11-14-2007 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 11-15-2007, 01:02 AM   #5
    anders15
    (male)

anders15 HB User

Thanks guys, it really helps to know i'm not the only one out there. A little update: I had a colonoscopy monday of this week and was terrified of it because i have vasovagal syncope and that's where you faint because of pain that sends signals to the vagal nerve in your neck so I had to stay the night before and drink that nasty stuff and goto the bathroom every 5 secs. I was so anxious that day I just knew i was gonna die! I just can't be convinced that I have anxiety. The only thing that helps is getting on here or talking to a couple of people that have experienced it in my area. it's soo overwhelming. I don't want to go to school, go to basketball or nothing. And ALL my results from the colonoscopy came back fine, so i should be happy right? Nahh i always seem to think negative and have now moved on to the fact that I'm so dizzy I have to have a brain tumor. I've already had a CT scan which came back fine but that was 5 months ago, what if i got something between then and now. I am at my lowest peak with anxiety and depression and just feel like I'm dying constantly. I was hooked on a heart monitor while at the hospital and they seen one Premature Ventricular beat or PVC which is an extra beat of the heart or a skipped beat. the nurse told me that it had nothing to do with anxiety, that sent me in an anxious uproar in which i knew i was gonna die. But i didn't, it's the hardest battle i've ever faught. Anytime I get one little pain or nitch, i think here we go again. Here's a list of my symptoms which some last all day. Please let me know if you experience these as well:

IBS
    dizziness (ugh)
    stomach cramps/nausea
    nocturnal anxiety/lack of sleep
    shaking
    cold sweats
    hot flashes
    numbness in my arms/feet (kind of a warm feeling)
    pretty bad headaches
    sweaty palms
    hands/feet tingling
    back pain
    depression (feeling of loss and loneliness)
    feel like I'm dying, or don't have much longer to live
    warming sensations (different spots, feels like i put on a muscle relaxer or something)

It's so hard because I don't live with my girlfriend, and when she leaves at night, i'm so lonely and afriad that i'm going to die and my parents won't be able to save me. Hell i was in the hospital and thought there was nothing they could do to save me during a panic/anxiety attack. I have a little of all 3. Anxiety/panic/depression. It's a triple whammy and I can't handle it. Please keep posting and let me know if all of these are normal or if i'm experience some sort of stroke or what, I'm at a loss and feel hopeless.

Last edited by msmod; 11-15-2007 at 07:33 AM.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:12 AM   #6
    anders15
    (male)

anders15 HB User

What is it that you are taking? I've went through effexor xr, lexapro, remeron, and now during Thanksgiving break I'm going to try Cymbalta. I also have Zoloft but haven't tried to take it because everytime I try a new anti-depressant I get sicker. But the effexor lasted for about 2 weeks then got severely dizzy so i stopped. It's hard to take anti depressants and get thruogh school becuase the first 2 weeks you feel worse before you feel better but it's so hard to go to school feeling like that, and our basketball coach doesn't understand what I go through or anything just thinks it's an excuse to get out of basketball. I'm also extremely faithful and always turn to God. But i still feel soo hopeless like I'm to young to die, it sounds childish but it's true, it just makes me wonder if anxiety can really do all this to your body and if it's really what I have, or if there's some underlying illness that's going to kill me instantly. Please reply ASAP

Last edited by msmod; 11-15-2007 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Removed censored word. Ms_Mod

Old 11-15-2007, 07:47 AM   #7
    xhannahxwx
    (female)

xhannahxwx HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Please Help! I suffer from severe anxiety

Hi there again, i guess you live in america? i am from the uk wales, if you no where that is? i am currently taking 20 mg of citalopram, which is basicallya form of anti depressent! the doctor advised me to take them for 2 weeks, half a tablet every day for a week then 1 tablet a day for a further week! they are really working and i am so happy that they are, i still get a funny five minutes now and again but i just manage it and shrug it off! ask your doctor about the medication! i am not sure if they are in america but ask him! please dont worry yourself though, alot of people i have spoke too have got over anxiety! i have had mine for about 3 weeks, what about you? Just remember though YOU ARE NOT DYING OR ILL! i thought i was, but its all in your head trust me! you will get over it! so will i! it might take a few months but you will be ok!!! write back hannah xx

Last edited by msmod; 11-15-2007 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 11-15-2007, 09:33 AM   #8
    anders15
    (male)

anders15 HB User

Yeah I live in America, and seemingly have tried every anti depressant and none seem so work. I've had this anxiety for about 4 months and it's now at it's peak. I feel as if I'm going to worry myself to death, literally. I need help. I see a phyciatrist which helps a ton, but only the day of, I'm back to my horrible state of mind the very next day. And I now have a new symptom as of today: Breathing. I guess my sinuses are flared up but for about 2 weeks i haven't been able to breathe through my nose but I see an ENT weekly for an allergy shot so it's nothing to serious, I just breathe through my mouth to much.

Last edited by msmod; 11-15-2007 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 11-17-2007, 12:54 PM   #9
    kg21678
    (male)

kg21678 HB User

Whats up my dude, you need to send me a message, cause ive been there and im around your age (26) I was 25 when it happened the first panic attack I ever had was when i was 16 and after that never again. Everything you described happened to me actually Im still feeling the effects even a YEAR LATER, so I dont have all the answers for you, but I can relate to what your going through I'm pretty atheletic 6'0 210 muscle but and if you saw me on the street you would think I was a tough guy but meanwhile im suffering from anxiety!! HAHA, I dont know what the answer is and I have that same fear of the panic attack happening again, there was a time where I couldnt even sleep because I felt something wierd going on in my chest, had to be the craziest experience ever. I did have a false positive for lupus, and they told me that my ANA reading was so high that i was definitely fighting something off but they will never know what it was (great). In the end it was probably my body run down from everything going on, I was working a fulltime job, and two part time jobs, not to mention going to the gym and doing heavy lifting, and my mind set is always i have to be the best, I have to lift 350 pounds i have to make the most money etc. I was putting alot of pressure on myself, and also know that alot of my pressure comes from my parents as well, I dont get along with them that well (only boy) they worry about me, but on a deeper level im pretty much self reliant, Ive always done my own thing. Alot of the time you can feel alone, but I will say its a great thing you have a girlfriend because i was dating someone at the time and she was extremely supportive. As individuals we may be more prone to being anxious than most people who knows, and i definitely know anxiety and depression runs in the family.

Heres my advice, since you are fairly active already, and my phsyc tells me that cardio excercise has the same effect as paxil, you may still need meds, I did 10mg for a little less than a year, and as the thick headed person I am i started coming off of it a few months ago right now im on 2.5 mg (cutting a half of a half a pill) and I am definitely feeling not as calm, not as bad as I was but Im considering going back on it (atleast until my job is secure) I think at this point <you> need the meds, even though I hate them with a passion they do work to an extent. I sometimes wonder is this anxiety thing all in our minds, or are we just more prone to it biologically, or is it our environment? Would love to hear some more feeling on that but definitely hit me up

Last edited by msmod; 11-17-2007 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Replaced text message, chat room word with the proper word. Please follow the posting rules. Ms_Mod

Old 11-17-2007, 09:32 PM   #10
    anders15
    (male)

anders15 HB User

thanks for the reply. I don't know exactly what it is man but I've had a CT Scan, colonoscopy, chest xray abdominal ultra sound, everything basically, and everything came back good the only thing they said was i had a small polyp on my gallbladder but it's nothing big. Also, I feel out of it a lot of times, and am severly depressed, I get really dizzy after or during eating, and I feel as if I have the flu a lot of times, but I take my xanax and it relieves that feeling a little bit. To put it all in one word would be simple: HELL. And the constant feeling of worry over my health and dying has got to give sometime. please reply. thanks
    -$cottie

Closed Thread