It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Question about Ativan dosage

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-11-2007, 04:14 PM   #1
    Luvmydog
    (female)

Luvmydog HB User
    Question about Ativan dosage

I am on low dose of Lexapro (5 mg) because I am already so fat from previous Paxil use. Afraid to go higher on the Lexapro........altho I know it is not a therapeutic dose. I rely on my Ativan to get thru the anxiety and panic on a daily basis. I take 1/2 mg. daily and sometimes 2X day. So, I hardly ever take more than 1 mg. total on a daily basis. Is there anyone out there with medical knowledge who can tell me this is OK to do? Bear in mind I am very senstive to side effects of most of the SSRI's.......I have been on a lot of them. I suffer from anxiety and not depression, altho docs will tell anyone they go hand in hand. Thanks for any responses.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2007, 07:53 PM   #2
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User
    Re: Question about Ativan dosage

If being on an SSRI that is not helping you feel better... i would come off. Or try going to the 10mg and see if how you do. If it weight you are worried about ( I am in the same boat) have you tried Prozac?

As far as the Ativan... it is a low dose but as with all these types of meds people to become dependent on them. But if your doctor gave the script then it is OK to take it.

Are you taking measures to feel better. CBT? Reading? therapy?

Old 10-11-2007, 10:47 PM   #3
    Tim 007
    (male)

Tim 007 HB User

I too suffer from anxiety, and have just been given 1mg Ativan(lorezpam) to go with my 50mg Zoloft, since Xanax freaked me out. I took 3mg of Ativan throughout my first day, which was fine according to my doctor. The only side affect I had was diarreah and upset stomach. However, body weight has something to do with dosage I believe, so if you are a thinner person, I'd be leary of taking more than 2mg. For me 3mg is the MAX I can have. The main reason they want to limit Ativan use is because it can become habit forming, it can affect your driving, drunken zombie state, and it can cause rare *temporary* amnesia which could take 2-3 days to go back to being normal.
    Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:19 PM   #4
    granny0
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

granny0 HB User

Dear Luv,
    Have you tried all the anti-anxiety/anti-depressants. Paxil, Lexapro, Celexa, Zoloft? The ativan is very addictive. I would love to be on it 24/7 but know I can't be. My dr gives me clonazapam sparingly and I get a lecture about addiction with each script. I also had an addiction to pain pills which I kicked last month because I ran out & could not get more. My grandmother was addicted to ativan from her early 60's until she died in her early 90's. My point is, if you need it everyday to get thru the day, it's not a good sign. Will your dr. continue giving you scripts for it or will he/she cut you off? It becomes a crutch that enables you to not have to deal with the issues that stress you out. I know how bad panic attacks can be and I do take the clonazapam when I'm having one so I know they have their good qualities. My concern for you is that you're taking them everyday and will find it very difficult to stop.
    I hope you can find an alternative to the daily doses of ativan.
    Been there & done that! Best wishes!
    JB

Last edited by msmod; 10-13-2007 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Do not discuss using prescription medication that was not prescribed for your use. Ms_Mod

Old 10-13-2007, 09:24 AM   #5
    Luvmydog
    (female)

Luvmydog HB User
    Red face Re: Question about Ativan dosage

Thanks for all the replies. Well, yes, I have been on them all basically. Actually Zoloft made me anorexic after five weeks on it. I lost a TON of weight, had no appetite for a whole year. Then the Paxil.......and the weight gain. Then we moved and found a new shrink. I have thought of going up to 10 mg. on the Lexapro. One of you suggested Prozac?? Is that supposed to be weight neutral??? I have a friend on Prozac and she gained a lot of weight. I thought all the SSRI's cause weight gain.....With the exception of the Zoloft, in my case. I am SO afraid of trying something new, I keep hoping for a new one to come out with a guarantee of no weight gain. Do I do other things? Yes, I know how to do breathing exercises, meditate, etc. It doesn't seem to help. I have severe health anxieties. I get it into my head that I have lung cancer or something wrong with my heart and then the panic starts and I pop the ativan. In a half hour I am leveled out and can go on with my day. I have been to enuf doctors not to trust ANY of them. Anyway, thanks for the replies to my post. Oh yeah, I was once on Klonopin and after four months of it, my anxiety and panic was at an all time how. A new doctor weaned me off ot it, I detoxed at home. I gradually came off of it and on the Paxil. I had a lot of side effects from the Paxil and then I guess I kind of stabilized on it for about a year and now I am 50 pounds overweight. So then we moved and I told new shrink I wanted off the Paxil........that is where I am now. on the really low dose and Ativan. Like I said, the Ativan levels me out whereas the klonopin did a real number on my head. I got lost coming home from the Pittsburgh airport when I was on the Klonopin and TOTALLY freaked out because the exit I was supposed to take was closed. I had to call my husband at work and he had to talk me home, giving me directions, exit by exit. That's what that Klonopin did to me. So, altho I worry about the Ativan, I tell myself, that if I am addicted, then so be it. And I don't take more than 1 mg. a day.

Closed Thread