It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Zoloft or Prozac

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-29-2007, 04:21 PM   #1
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User
    Zoloft or Prozac

Doctor has given me the choice! He would prefer me to try Zoloft for a short time while I enter into CBT.

Just wondering who likes what. I know we all react defferent to meds. I have tried several.

One problem I do have is the weight gain - which now I have some health realted issues because of that. so I am concerned about it a bit.

Anyway, opinions please?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2007, 01:23 PM   #2
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User
    Re: Zoloft or Prozac

Anyone on either of these meds?

Old 11-01-2007, 02:48 PM   #3
    americandancer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

americandancer HB User

I've never tried prozac, but I did take zoloft several years ago. I thought I had gotten off of it, due to weight gain, but it wasn't the zoloft I had gotten off of. It was serzone that caused me to gain weight. If I am remembering correctly, I had absolutely no weight gain with zoloft. I was actually very thin at the time.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:44 PM   #4
    leenie41
    (female)

leenie41 HB User
    Cool Re: Zoloft or Prozac

hi,
    I have been on both of these meds, and many more. I have tried, effexor, paxil, wellbutrin, prozaz, lexapro, and zoloft, 1st, and now last.
    Of course everyone is different, but I do like zoloft best, at first, it's somewhat tiring, however, it was worth it to me, it eases my anxiety, and depression. Weight gain was not a problem because of zoloft, my over eating was, and being lazy. I am 5'7, and weigh 140, so I gained about 3 lbs, it's well worth it. Lexapro was okay, but I still had some anxiety, and took it with diazepam, or lorazepam, and that's just to much pill popping for me. I suggest trying the zoloft at 50mg, then increasing if you need too. I felt better, but tired, within 2 days.
    Hope this helped, and good luck!

Old 11-01-2007, 05:47 PM   #5
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User

Leenie: Did you take Zoloft in the morning or at night? I am starting at 25mg for a week and then to 50mg.

not sure what time of day to take it as with the others I got really tired from them.

Did you have any other side effects? i am so glad weight gain hasn;t been an issue for a few of you!!!!

Last edited by j2006; 11-01-2007 at 05:48 PM.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:50 AM   #6
    monkey619
    (female)

monkey619 HB User

I tried both and didn't like either one. Zoloft made me depressed and Prozac made me sick no matter what dose I was on.. Paxil is the only one that works wonders for me!!

Old 11-04-2007, 05:33 PM   #7
    RobSjr
    (male)

RobSjr HB User

I have been on Zoloft, Effexor, and Prozac. I had bad withdrawl from the Effexor, and the Prozac actually made me feel worse. So, I would have to say that the Zoloft worked the best. I seem to develope a tolerance to meds way too fast, thats why I switched off the zoloft to begin with. I changed jobs, and lost my insurace and couldn't afford to pay cash for my meds, so I stopped taking my anti-depressant (which was prozac) and I would have to say that I feel better than ever, and everyone notices that I am a much happier person now. strange but true

Old 11-05-2007, 03:20 PM   #8
    flintrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

I started Zoloft 3 months ago. Started with 50 mg and took 1/2 a pill daily for 7 days, then went up to whole pill...once a day. I take mine at night, around 7:00....i was tired for a few days, but now i can't tell i even take it. I feel soooooooo much better. No weight gain here...i am small 5, 1 and weight is 104....I wouldn;'t mind gaining.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:13 PM   #9
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by flintrock View Post
    I started Zoloft 3 months ago. Started with 50 mg and took 1/2 a pill daily for 7 days, then went up to whole pill...once a day. I take mine at night, around 7:00....i was tired for a few days, but now i can't tell i even take it. I feel soooooooo much better. No weight gain here...i am small 5, 1 and weight is 104....I wouldn;'t mind gaining.
    THANK YOU so much for this information. I was debating on when to take it as I do tend to get tired with meds. This will work out great for me because I take Topamax at 7PM and I get so tired. So it would make sense to take them both together. Thanks again for the information.

And about the weight issue also. I am not ina position to gain anymore!

Closed Thread