It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Scared about being on Lexapro

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-09-2007, 07:15 AM   #1
    princesscol
    (female)

princesscol HB User
    Unhappy Scared about being on Lexapro

So I started on Lexapro on Tuesday. So far so good. I only had a headache and I was kind of nauseous but I am able to handle it and I am able to sleep. I didnít have any trouble with sleeping but I thought the medicine might make it hard to fall asleep or something. And I really felt a difference the first day I started taking it. I am a lot less anxious than I was. It has really helped with the whole feeling like I canít breathe thing too. But Iím still scared. Iím scared I made a big mistake by taking this medicine. I feel defeated in a way. Also I know this is going to sound so weird but I havenít had the urge to cry or anything like that. I know I should be happy about that but instead Iím scared. I donít want to turn into a person Iím not. Did anyone else feel this way on meds?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2007, 07:32 AM   #2
    jdog77
    (male)

jdog77 HB User
    Re: Scared about being on Lexapro

Ha, no sweat!, i was on lexapro... here is a good thing to know,, most all these anti depression pills just do 1 thing.. they encourage the brain to realease more natural seritonin(<sorry> <about> the spelling), its not going to hurt you or chnge who you are, but will feel that way while on it....

Last edited by msmod; 11-09-2007 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Replaced text message, chat room words with the proper words. Please follow the posting rules. Ms_Mod

Old 11-09-2007, 02:10 PM   #3
    mojorisin29
    (male)

mojorisin29 HB User

Actually thats not entirely correct, Lexapro does not stimulate your body to produce more serotonin, it prevents your body from reuptaking the serotonin into the synaptic cell, which means there's more serotonin available in the brain.

I understand you're scared about the medication you're taking, don't feel defeated, just look at it as a helping hand for a few months. Modern scientific thought views depression as a consequence of a chemical imbalance in the brain, lexapro will help restore a balance. You will not feel spaced out, or in any way altered, you will just feel normal, better; look forward to it.

Remember though, a positive attitude goes a long way to helping you become anxiety free. In my opinion medication (in most cases) shouldn't be a crutch forever, it just helps us out when we really can't cope.

I have been on and off SSRI's for years now due to anxiety and am only just coming to terms with my anxiety through a positive attitude and a more healthy diet. Its hard though and i haven't ruled out medication if i need it again. We have to remember this is something we can't escape, we need to face the problem and beat it. I try to think about the other boards on this site, lots of amazing people deal with worse problems every day. If we're strong we can overcome anything and live normal happy lives.

wishing you good luck.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:13 PM   #4
    granny0
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

granny0 HB User

I've been on Lexapro for about 5 weeks now. I did have a little break in period, some nausea like you. I noticed it helped my depression after about three weeks. Was taking 10 mg a day. Had a pretty bad day a few days ago and (almost like I was starting over) and upped the dose to 1 1/2 pills a day. I've felt better since. Besides Lexapro, I was on Paxil for a few yrs. That helped with my anxiety, but not depression. But I never felt like it changed my personality or numbed me in anyway. It just helped to cope with things better than taking nothing. So give it some time. I keep hearing it takes 4-6 weeks to feel full effect of this drug.
    Best wishes,
    JB

Old 11-10-2007, 05:34 PM   #5
    jete23
    (female)

jete23 HB User

Been on Lex for almost 4 years. I completely understand the feeling of defeat. I was always a high achiever and very independent, and it was very hard to NEED to take a medication and be dependant on something. But, my quality of life is better now than it was when the anxiety was running my life. Its a trade-off and it sucks, but you get used to it. I was terrified to take the medication, and I still don't like taking other meds with it or stuff like that, but that's just me. Everyone has a different period of adjustment, but there really is nothing to fear. It's just the anxiety.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:08 PM   #6
    masciemommy
    (female)

masciemommy HB User

Hey! I know exactly how you feel...I started Lexapro today and am having a VERY hard time with it. I cried when I took it and cried a few times today, just had a pretty extreme panic attack etc. I am deathly afraid of the side effects, addiction or just not having quality of life. I also feel like I've failed at managing my own life and a little crazy to have to be on meds. I have struggled with anxiety for 5.5 years now and my family has finally convinced me to just try something...they are tired of seeing me suffer...please keep me posted on how it's working, maybe we can help eachother out with this newness!

Old 11-30-2007, 01:58 PM   #7
    princesscol
    (female)

princesscol HB User

Thanks for all the replies. I actually feel alot better and that feeling of not being myself went away after about a week and a half. Now my problem that I'm having some sexual difficulties. Besides for that my anxiety and depression are still there but it's under control. If I feel like I can't breath or am sad about something I don't freak out like I used to. The anxiety subsides alot quicker. I was just suffering way too much and although I'm disappointed in myself for starting the medication now that I'm couple weeks into it I don't have any regrets.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:35 PM   #8
    mini59
    Inactive
    (female)

mini59 HB User

Good for you Princesscol! You know what? I was on Effexor for 20 years and it helped alot. The reason why I went off them is because I thought: I don't want to be a slave to any drug. Let's see how I am off of it. Well, the withdrawal was a nightmare but I did it and a little while later....quality of life went downhill again. Anxiety and depression came back. I thought: screw this! WHY SUFFER?? I want to live life to the fullest, not with this black cloud hanging over my head. I went on Zoloft this time and felt the effects pretty quick. It was probably a placebo effect though, since it takes a few weeks to kick in. But you know what? I'll take it! I look at it like this: I take a handful of vitamins every day. This is another vitamin....one that puts me on an even keel and allows me to enjoy life like I should . Stay with it- I can't tell you how many people I've known whose lives have turned around by taking anti-depressants.

K.

Last edited by mini59; 11-30-2007 at 10:36 PM.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:19 PM   #9
    raleigh
    (male)

raleigh HB User

My doc tried to give me lexapro from what symptoms i was describing him. They have me on xanax right now. I feel the same way, I dont want to get on an anti-depressant, It feels like Ive lost and I am in denial that i have any form of depression/anxiety.

Does the Lexapro change your personality?? Is there side affects? I dont want to change. On another note, I kind of like feeling depressed, does anyone experience this, when your happy, you wich you were depressed and just alone??

Old 12-05-2007, 06:54 AM   #10
    mrtallman
    (female)

mrtallman HB User

Other than a few crappy side effects, my time on Lexapro has been great! I know how you feel though, before the very first medicine I ever tried for my anxiety, I was very adamant about not taking and medications. I wanted to make my self better in a natural way, by myself. But then I realised that sometimes your body just can't do things on it's own, especially chemically. So the little pills are just a kind of boost (that's how I like to look at it lol)

Closed Thread