It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Is Lexapro or Celexa Better for Anxiety? Any Real Differences Between Them?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-12-2007, 11:57 AM   #1
    RM73
    (female)

RM73 HB User
    Question Is Lexapro or Celexa Better for Anxiety? Any Real Differences Between Them?

Hi everyone! I hope and pray you're all well and having a wonderful week (although it's only just begun! LOL) I have a couple of questions for you all and am optimistic that someone will be able to help.

First off I guess I should mention my "diagnosis" and how I've been feeling. I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Panic Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder, Slight Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, Major Depressive Disorder, Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder and possible Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. I'm sure there's more but these are the things I find troubling at this point in time.

I started Lexapro at a whole 1.25mg per day 5 days ago and so far I'm doing all right other than I am feeling more anxious for a few hours after taking it in the morning. Thankfully I'm taking 2.5mg of Klonopin a day to help with my anxiety although I'm still feeling it. By the way I tend to respond better to medications if I start low and increase slowly, hence the tiny dosage.

What I am wondering is if Celexa (well the Generic Form) is as good on anxiety as Lexapro as I have no insurance, no job and not a whole lotta money. I'm currently taking samples of the Lexapro but when it comes time to get a prescription, I'd sure like to go the Generic route if possible.

Also I've read a lot about the 2 meds online and have noticed many people saying that Lexapro is more activating than Celexa. Does anyone have any input on this as well? I would appreciate anything anyone would be willing to share about their experience and/or knowledge of either or both of these medicines.

Thank you all for your time and I hope to hear from someone soon. Take good care and have a wonderful day!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2007, 12:12 PM   #2
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User
    Re: Is Lexapro or Celexa Better for Anxiety? Any Real Differences Between Them?

It all depends on the person. I have taken both of these meds and I found that they both worked very well for me. But I ended up likeing the Celexa better for my body. There are so many people on this board that love Lexapro and i know so many people on it and wouldn't ever change. So I guess it would all depend on how you feel on it. once you get to 10mg and you are on it for a month you should know how you feel on it.

Celexa is an older version of the Lexapro. For my body it was just too strong for me.

it is good that you are starting out slow. And the klonopin will help you along as well.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:26 PM   #3
    RM73
    (female)

RM73 HB User
    Smile Re: Is Lexapro or Celexa Better for Anxiety? Any Real Differences Between Them?

Thank you so much j2006. I sincerely appreciate your reply. And you said what I was hoping to hear too! LOL

I may try Celexa once I run out of samples. But we'll see as it's still early.

Thanks again!

Old 11-12-2007, 01:16 PM   #4
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User

They have Lexapr Generic as well as Celexa Generic. I wonder if they cost the same?

Old 11-12-2007, 02:52 PM   #5
    RM73
    (female)

RM73 HB User
    Post Re: Is Lexapro or Celexa Better for Anxiety? Any Real Differences Between Them?

I remember hearing that Lexapro was going Generic but Forest Labs fought it and won so now it won't be available as Generic until 2012. Or that's what they say as of now. {REMOVED}

Last edited by msmod; 11-12-2007 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Read and follow the posting rules. Don't copy and paste material from other sources as that material maybe copyrighted. Ms_Mod

Old 11-12-2007, 07:25 PM   #6
    JAILYN12
    (female)

JAILYN12 HB User

I really like Celexa. It worked great for me. I had no side effects. If it is cheaper then why not just give it a try. I was on the generic form of Celexa (Citalopram). It worked just fine. I have general anxiety and panic attacks. This cause me to get depressed. I take Xanax on a needed basis, but When I got the Celexa in my system I hardly ever needed the Xanax. I would say just go for it and try the Celexa. If it is cheaper then paying for Lexapro that is one more thing that you won't have to worry about.

Good Luck

Old 11-13-2007, 07:25 PM   #7
    granny0
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

granny0 HB User

I used to take Celexa for anxiety yrs ago and I can't remember exactly why, it's been awhile, that my dr switched me to Paxil. The Paxil worked very well for the anxiety, but not for depression. So now I'm on Lexapro, which is helping the depression, but not the anxiety. I don't feel like trying to adjust to another AD, so I'm going to stick with the Lexapro awhile longer. Is Lexapro supposed to work for anxiety as much as for depression?
    JB

Old 11-16-2007, 01:55 PM   #8
    mrtallman
    (female)

mrtallman HB User

I actually sat down with my doctor just a few days ago and asked him the same exact question! I tried Celexa about a year and a half ago and it was the WORST two days of my life! I wanted to DIE!
    However.. everyone reacts to meds differently.. lol
    I have been on Lexapro for the past couple months and have been doing wonderfully. When I asked my doctor about Lexapro and Celexa, he explained to me that they were sister meds and were pretty much the same, except Celexa is a "rougher" form or Lexapro... for sure!
    I just thought it was crazy how I reacted so differently to these two.. guess it just depends on your body!

Old 11-16-2007, 02:10 PM   #9
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User

I am the exact opposite. I didnlt really like Lexapro - I was like a zombie. Celexa was a better choice for me.

Like you said everyone is different.

i disagree with your doctor's comment.

Closed Thread