It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Stress & Anxiety?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-13-2007, 10:08 PM   #1
    boricuaitaliano
    (male)

boricuaitaliano HB User
    Stress & Anxiety?

I am not sure what are the differences between stress and anxiety but lately I find myself clinching down on my teeth during that day leaving my jaw and teeth very sore. When I try to sleep at night I find my eyes wanting to open constantly and I also keep having a stiff neck and headaches.
    Any idea whatís going on?
    Thanks..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2007, 07:36 AM   #2
    Worrybucket
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User
    Re: Stress & Anxiety?

Stress & anxiety pretty much go together.

You sound tense, with the jaw clenching. Have you tried some form of relaxation excercising like Yoga?

Go along and talk to your Doc and see if you can get to the bottom of why you are feeling like this,. Good luck

Old 11-14-2007, 09:25 AM   #3
    wishsong
    (female)

wishsong HB User

When I get stressed I find my anxiety flairs up. I too clench my teeth and find I get terrible pressure in my temples, shoulders and neck. Aerobic exercise works for me, followed by a radox bath! I've also used guided relaxation dvd's which help too. Can you get out from work for a walk at lunch time or just do some simple stretches at your desk? I open my mouth really wide when the pressure builds up, which relaxes it a bit (though you do look daft!!). I've also got a temple balm that I rub in which helps too.
    Take care

Old 11-14-2007, 08:39 PM   #4
    boricuaitaliano
    (male)

boricuaitaliano HB User

Thanks for the feedback.
    I am this way all the time and when talking with my doctor, his solution is medications. I feel meds hurt me more then they help. I havent hit the gym for some time but I noticed afterwards it doesnt help much with sleep and I have a hard time sleeping so waking up is hard for the mornings.
    I might give Aerobic exercise a try since I only lift weights and run when at the gym.
    Its just really hard because my body is always tense through out the day and I am not sure why. I dont know how to relaxe until my body decides to relaxe, its always Fight or Flight mode for me.
    Thanks..

Old 11-14-2007, 10:26 PM   #5
    Perry2
    (male)

Perry2 HB User

To me stress is mostly action reaction type issues. You are stressed so you clench you jaw, or you can't sleep, or you get tension headaches.
    Anxiety will give you a racing heart, or panic attacks, fight or flight reactions with no apparent trigger, a nauseated feeling of "wrongness", dizzyness, or shooting pains that mimic heart problems. Stress is a temporary condition, and anxiety is more like an illness which may be temporary or more or less permanent depending on the individual and the severity.
    Your symptoms do not sound like clinical anxiety to me. You maybe have too much on your mind. A stressful job or personal life. When I got so that I wasn't sleeping right and I couldn't work my tension out in the gym, I knew it was time to change jobs. Presto, months of stress melted away(but it took a couple of months for that to happen).

Old 11-15-2007, 12:16 PM   #6
    CFD 333
    Inactive
    (male)

CFD 333 HB User

There is a distinct association between anxiety and stress. One usually leads to the other.

If meds are not a good option for you, I'd seriously consider seeing a Psychologist for cognitive behavioral therapy. It can definitely work wonders for someone in your position as you can learn to tackle the anxiety and essentially rid yourself of all the stress it causes you.

Also, you are right in doing a primarily aerobic workout right now. Lifting weights may actually make the problems worse for you as it's a very stressful form of exercise. Aerobic workouts have been shown to reduce anxiety and stress and elevate mood.

Last edited by CFD 333; 11-15-2007 at 12:18 PM.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:17 AM   #7
    boricuaitaliano
    (male)

boricuaitaliano HB User

I have been battling insomnia for years and can only find temp solutions such as meds. I grew up in rough areas as a child through my teen years so I do experience The Fight or Flight mode but it's not as bad now as it was when I was younger. I on noticed long commutes like traveling I wonít sleep even if the flight was 8 hours. I am always ready to take on whatever comes my way and most likely I wonít be caught off guard. I noticed when I am out of my comfort zone I feel pretty pumped up like I just took ephedrine or something and this is how I feel at night when I try to sleep.
    I have taking several meds and been diagnosed from Depression, GAD, PTSD, Bipolar, ADHD, Insomnia, Mood Disorder, etc because the doctors cant figure out what is wrong with me, why I cant sleep.
    This is my theory on why the doctors gave me these diagnoses.

- Insomnia = Mood Disorder & Health issues like High Blood Pressure (I am very grumpy when I donít sleep)
    - Mood Disorder = Depression, Anxiety & misdiagnose of Bipolar / ADHD
    - Depression & Other Diags = Medications
    - Medications = Side effects
    - Side effects = Feeling confused, Up's & Downs, amnesia and lost of testosterone which makes a guy not feel like a guy.

As for the clinching, I am wondering if it has something to do with having braces on. The side I clinch down on feels uneven, like one tooth is bigger then the other. I am not sure, I am just guessing.

As you can see from above I do stress and it all points to Insomnia. I canít figure out why I have insomnia as it's a mystery but when I post these threads and re-read my post some things make clear. I mentioned an ephedrine feeling or pumped up when trying to sleep, could that be an issue? Of course I donít take ephedrine or drink coffee and I donít drink soda at night or allot. I do take 25mg of Adderall for ADHD but I only take it in the morning before going to work and thatís a low dosage.

I had the following test done and here are the results. Sorry for the long results but I find this site is very useful by saving my information. I was able to go back to my first post and see which meds I have taken before and why I stopped taking them before the doctor tried to give me another prescription of the same meds.
    Please bare with me and if you see any test that I have not taking feel free and throw it out there

Date - Component - Value

POTASSIUM, SERUM
    - 7/14/2007 POTASSIUM 4.4
    CREATININE, SERUM, WITH GLOMERULAR FILTRATION RATE
    - 7/14/2007 CREATININE 0.97
    GLUCOSE, FASTING
    - 7/14/2007 GLUCOSE, FASTING 84
    LIPID PANEL
    - 7/14/2007 CHOLESTEROL 292 (H)
    - 7/14/2007 TRIGLYCERIDE 117
    - 7/14/2007 HDL 45
    - 7/14/2007 LDL CALCULATED 224 (H)
    ALT (ALANINE AMINOTRANSFERASE), SERUM
    - 7/14/2007 ALT 29
    POTASSIUM, SERUM
    - 1/20/2007 POTASSIUM 4.1
    CREATININE, SERUM
    - 1/20/2007 CREATININE 0.81
    GLUCOSE, FASTING
    - 1/20/2007 GLUCOSE, FASTING 86
    LIPID PANEL
    - 1/20/2007 CHOLESTEROL 225
    - 1/20/2007 TRIGLYCERIDE 106
    - 1/20/2007 HDL 46
    - 1/20/2007 LDL CALCULATED 158 (H)
    TSH (THYROID STIMULATING HORMONE)
    - 03/08/2006 TSH (THYROID) 0.5
    CBC (COMPLETE BLOOD COUNT) WITHOUT DIFFERENTIAL
    - 03/08/2006 WBC COUNT 9.5
    - 03/08/2006 RED BLOOD CELLS COUNT 5.12
    - 03/08/2006 HGB 15.7
    - 03/08/2006 HEMATOCRIT 45.9
    - 03/08/2006 MCV 90
    - 03/08/2006 RDW, RBC 11.9
    - 03/08/2006 PLATELETS COUNT 266
    WHITE BLOOD CELL DIFFERENTIAL, AUTOMATED
    - 03/08/2006 NEUTROPHILS %, AUTOMATED COUNT 48 (L)
    - 03/08/2006 LYMPHOCYTES %, AUTOMATED COUNT 42
    - 03/08/2006 MONOS %, AUTO 8
    - 03/08/2006 EOSINOPHILS %, AUTOMATED COUNT 2
    - 03/08/2006 BASOPHILS %, AUTOMATED COUNT 0
    LIPID PANEL
    - 03/08/2006 CHOLESTEROL 272 (H)
    - 03/08/2006 TRIGLYCERIDE 150
    - 03/08/2006 HDL 41
    - 03/08/2006 LDL CALCULATED 201 (H)
    CREATININE, SERUM
    - 03/08/2006 CREATININE 1.0
    GLUCOSE, FASTING
    - 03/08/2006 GLUCOSE, FASTING 92
    POTASSIUM, SERUM
    - 03/08/2006 POTASSIUM 4.3
    ALT (ALANINE AMINOTRANSFERASE), SERUM
    - 03/08/2006 ALT 21
    TSH (THYROID STIMULATING HORMONE)
    - 03/08/2006 TSH 1.2
    TESTOSTERONE, TOTAL
    - 03/08/2006 TESTOSTERONE, TOTAL 765
    GLOMERULAR FILTRATION RATE, CALCULATED
    - 03/08/2006 GLOMERULAR FILTRATION RATE, NONAFRICAN AMERICAN 94
    - 03/08/2006 GLOMERULAR FILTRATION RATE, AFRICAN AMERICAN 114

Old 11-18-2007, 09:11 AM   #8
    CFD 333
    Inactive
    (male)

CFD 333 HB User

I also noticed from you lab values that your TSH levels are quite low and that's a sign that you are on the verge of developing Hyperthyroidism. Have you ever discussed this issue with anyone? That can also play a big factor in why you can't sleep and feel so anxious all the time. If you haven't already, I'd talk to your doctor about that soon.

If your thyroid checked out ok then, once again, I believe seeing a psychologist is a great treatment for you. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy can also do great things for insomnia. Anxiety, stress, and excessive worrying can definitely play a huge role in why you can't sleep at night and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy has been shown to be better than medications for restoring a good nights sleep for you.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:53 PM   #9
    Luvmydog
    (female)

Luvmydog HB User

Jaw clenching can be related to the meds themselves, stress and anxiety/or a combination of all three. I would recommed you see your dentist and have him/her take impressions and order an NTI for you. It is a small acrylic device that fits over your lower front four teeth. You wear it at night (or day as well) and it prevents your jaw from being able to clench. I have one and it works really well. When I find myself getting into a cycle of clenching I wear the NTI for a few nights and get better. It is also good for migraines and/or tension headaches.

Last edited by ms_mod; 11-21-2007 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Removed banned word. If a word comes up like this *** in your post that word is banned on this website. Ms_Mod

Closed Thread