It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Throat.. feels constricted & tightened all the time...???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-09-2007, 08:13 AM   #1
    jk119
    (male)

jk119 HB User
    Throat.. feels constricted & tightened all the time...???

I've had anxiety for about 8 years now, havent had to take any meds except for xanax here and there for about 5 years, but lately whenever i get a sore throat or any unfamiliar pain it leads to a form of anxiety. I had a sore throat last week now my throat feels like its going to lock up on me and is very constricted, my mind will not keep thinking about it either... anyone else ever have similar problem to this>? i honestly do not feel like resorting to zoloft or a prescription med again..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2007, 05:27 PM   #2
    tetianainto
    (female)

tetianainto HB User
    Re: Throat.. feels constricted & tightened all the time...???

Hi, I get that too. Tightness around the throat area. Ativan usually helps for a while.....and so that is how I know it is stress/anxiety.....and then it goes away...until it comes back.

best,
    c

Old 12-10-2007, 04:38 PM   #3
    jk119
    (male)

jk119 HB User

hey thanks for the response, today i went to the doc, and they scanned my neck for lumps.. nothing appeared .. so i guess thats good, he put me on z-pac for sinus , lexapro, and give me a few xanax.. since i have horrible anxiety in my past.. and i have panicked for the last week about this feeling. The xanax seems to help alot, but still its there but in mild form, I have a muscle relaxer should i try that the next day to test to see if it is just a muscle spasm? and do you think lexapro could help w/ this? b/c i havent began taking yet

Old 12-10-2007, 06:46 PM   #4
    tetianainto
    (female)

tetianainto HB User

Hi,

I am on celexa which is a "sister drug" to lexapro, what you've been prescribed. It has helped enormously with the anxiety and the variety of symptoms that I have got over the years...the throat tightening being the most recent.

My advice is to try it. It's always tricky trying to find the right meds for anxiety, but once you do, life is much more pleasant. The physical symptoms of anxiety drive me crazy and the hypochondria that I have goes out of control. Celexa has really helped me.

best, c

Old 12-12-2007, 04:38 PM   #5
    jk119
    (male)

jk119 HB User

still having problems with this.....

right behind my adams apple feels like a tickle or dry constricted feeling... hard toe xplain but it stays there .. and when i exercise i feel it more ... like air or fluid sitting there... please someone tell me what to do... or might make it go away. i have xanax and lexapro

i just started the lexapro yesterday... could this really all be anxiety??

its driving me crazy

Last edited by jk119; 12-12-2007 at 04:50 PM.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:46 AM   #6
    tetianainto
    (female)

tetianainto HB User

Hi, it'll take a couple of weeks for the lexapro to work. Remind yourself that you went to the doc and he checked your neck/throat and all was well.....that is really important.

It could be, and probably is, anxiety. Anxiety will not go away instantly....and anxiety about health concerns can just create more symptoms or exacerbate current ones.....start the lexapro..take xanax as needed.

I know how hard it is to deal with it.

best, c

Closed Thread