It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• What is the best SSRI at NOT producing sexual side effect??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-14-2007, 02:34 AM   #1
    MKULTRA
    (male)

MKULTRA HB User
    What is the best SSRI at NOT producing sexual side effect??

I have had GAD since I was around 7 (I'm 31 now) and after a couple years of being off of Paxi, my anxiety has returned in such a way that not only am I worrying about irrational things everyday, now the slightest things where I feel "trapped" will start to induce panic in me (i.e. being stuck in traffic, or an elevator, etc.)

Part of, if not the main reason I stopped taking Paxil was because I felt it was severly impacting my marriage. It would take forever to climax during sex and my Wife and I eventually would argue about it. Nothing against her....she was just frustrated with the whole situation, as was I.

But now, I need to get back on something because GAD is ruining my life, IMO. I can't even go a day without worrying about something. It sucks....

Does anyone care to share any knowledge on what SSRI's are "good" for not producing the sexual side effects? I was thinking of going on Lexapro but after reading some posts here, I'm not sure that's the best answer. I do know I NEVER want to see Paxil again, ever. Paxil is the devil.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2007, 04:42 AM   #2
    Christian73
    (male)

Christian73 HB User
    Re: What is the best SSRI at NOT producing sexual side effect??

I've been on Effexor for many years and I've never had any sexual side effects. Apparently, the newer SSRIs are supposed to have fewer of these side effects than Paxil and Prozac.

I will say that when I first started Effexor my orgasms were a bit strange but that went away after a few weeks.

Good luck and feel better.

Bumper Sticker in my therapist's office

Old 12-14-2007, 07:17 AM   #3
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User

Zoloft, Prozac and celexa I didn't have that problem

Old 12-15-2007, 09:49 AM   #4
    wangela67
    (female)

wangela67 HB User

I am also on Paxil and it did affect my orgasm response at first, however, since I've been on Paxil for two years these side effects went away. I have gained weight on Paxil, however, I'm not sure it is the Paxil or just my lifestyle. I don't follow a healthy diet and I don't exercise. I working to change my lifestyle. I can't blame the all my weight gain on the Paxil. Paxil gets so much bad rap on these boards. Paxil has made my life so much better. In the past I took Zoloft and did not seem to work for me. I had to take Xanax with Zoloft just to control the anxiety.

I have several friends that have been on Lexapro, and Prozac. They did encounter sexual side effects. All the SSRIs are known to cause sexual side effects. You may have to give each one a trial run to see how they work. I've researched Wellbutrin because the doctor I go to prescribes this AD most often. Wellbutrin has actually been known to increase desire in some people. I just could not take this AD because it made me more anxious. Why don't you add the Wellbutrin and see if that makes a difference? After about a month if it decreases the sexual side effects you can lower the Paxil. Just a thought.

I'll stick with my Paxil for me.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:33 PM   #5
    Perry2
    (male)

Perry2 HB User

Lexapro has that reputation but not for everyone. I was dead from the waist down on Zoloft and things got better when I switched to Effexor but I have heard of people experiencing the reverse with these two. Most of the SSRIs seem to have the same list of potential side effects but it is a roll of the dice which ones you get. I would try Zoloft if I were you, and if it still effects you that way after a month or so try Effexor or Celexa. I hesitate to recommend Effexor even though I am okay because I am on the smallest available dose, and it has possibly the worst reputation for side effects trying to get off it. My younger brother is on Effexor for Bipolar Disorder but he takes 3 times my dose. He said he had major issues for over a year but things gradually got better without changing the med or the dosage.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:43 PM   #6
    Perry2
    (male)

Perry2 HB User

When I was having my problems with the Zoloft I read dozens of threads on this and other sites. Many similar to your own. There was no consensus. You need to keep trying until you find the right one. Good luck You will find the right one.

Last edited by Perry2; 12-22-2007 at 09:51 PM.

Closed Thread