It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Anxiety with High Blood Pressure Episodes

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-24-2008, 05:57 AM   #1
    Looly
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Looly HB UserLooly HB User
    Anxiety with High Blood Pressure Episodes

Hi.....has anyone actually taken their blood pressure when they are having an anxiety problem. And, is it possible to have an anxiety attack that lasts for between six to eight hours? I have been suffering with this for a while. Classic anxiety symptoms - tingling, hot/cold, dizzy, burping, bowel movements all along with extremely high blood pressure readings. Usually by the morning, I'm absolutely fine, except tired. Can anxiety which you don't actually feel you have, be the cause of this? I'm so distressed over this.

The Following User Says Thank You to Looly For This Useful Post:
    djc4294 (09-23-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2008, 11:31 AM   #2
    sam061
    (male)

sam061 HB User
    Re: Anxiety with High Blood Pressure Episodes

Yes, I have the same thing happen to me.- sam

Old 01-28-2008, 07:17 PM   #3
    weez
    (female)

weez HB User

I have the same problem. I'm seeing the doctor again next month to see what can be done. Sorry I'm not any help.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:11 PM   #4
    Lourage
    Inactive
    (male)

Lourage HB User

Yep! same thing here. While i was waiting in the doctors office a couple of weeks ago my heart was racing the whole time cause of my anxiety, then when the nurse took my BP it was pretty high, but i told her i suffered from anxiety and the reading was mostly due to "white coat syndrome" But my heart will race for hours on end if i'm constantly filled with anxiety, like when i was at the hospital in the ER, when the docs did a EKG it was through the roof! i told them it was cause of my anxiety, but it was still pretty damn high and it can still be dangerous, anxiety related or not for ones heart/BP to be that high.

So now i'm starting to worry about how my heart racing for all these years and the palpitations/chest pains by heart are all related and a heart problem, or just anxiety caused. I'm starting to worry i have an enlarged heart from it racing so much. Is heart racing due to anxiety just as bad though as heart racing due to having high blood pressure though? If i take my BP at home and not anxious it's perfectly normal!

I want to see a cardiologist to see if i done any damage to my heart, but i'm worried about how they will be able to get any good readings since my heart races so much cause of my anxiety! then if i'm laying there hooked up to a machine it's going to start racing even more! They probably wouldn't even want to give me s trees test cause my heart will already be racing like i just ran a 5 mile marathon! UGH! if it's not one problem it's another eh?

Old 01-31-2008, 05:29 PM   #5
    Looly
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Looly HB UserLooly HB User

Lourage...........just curious..................you don't have to answer- but I'm curious about how high your numbers go and how often? Does your blood pressure rise along with your heart rate?

Old 01-31-2008, 06:31 PM   #6
    Lourage
    Inactive
    (male)

Lourage HB User

At the doctors it was like 126/85. I'll do a reading right now relaxed at my home then post what the results are. I have a Omron Automatic blood pressure monitor. LOL i bet it will still be high though cause i'll be anxious taking it! especially when that cuff gets all tight.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:35 PM   #7
    Lourage
    Inactive
    (male)

Lourage HB User

Ok right now it was 128/76. Thats still high.

I could only imagine what it is during an episode of SEVER anxiety! probably like 190/95!

reading in this chart that came with the blood pressure monitor optimal systolic/diastolic is <120/<80
    Normal: <130/<85
    High/Normal: 130-139/85-89
    Stage 1 hypertension(mild): 140-159/90-99
    Stage 2(moderate): 160-179/ 100-109
    Stage 3(severe):.180/>110

Says these are just guidelines though and it depends on your age obesity/ etc

Last edited by Lourage; 01-31-2008 at 06:40 PM.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:43 PM   #8
    Lourage
    Inactive
    (male)

Lourage HB User

Damn i just took it again and it was 140/84 LOL figures after i read what was high my heart rate and BP skyrocketed.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:17 AM   #9
    cvoor
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cvoor HB User

Just reading your post, I would go to a Cardiologist, to have it checked out, and be on the safe side. He or she can prescribe any meds or diet/lifestyle adjustments that need to be made.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:55 AM   #10
    rudiraven
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

Hi All,

My BP goes up with anxiety too. I was at the dentist this week and they took my BP and it was high. (Of course it was, I was at the dentist ) That caused me anxiety and they took it again and it was higher! Of course that put me in a panic mode and it took about 2 days for me to get back to normal and relax about the BP. Try not to take it too often because you just give yourself anxiety and you're caught in that vicious circle.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:09 PM   #11
    Lourage
    Inactive
    (male)

Lourage HB User

I took it again first thing this morning and it was 112/68. MUCH better! So since my readings keep getting lower that pretty much means i don't have high BP and that it only goes high during anxious episodes right? if it was bad it would constantly be high no matter when i took the readings no?

I had my sister take hers and it was like 142/89!!!!!!!! she has high BP all the time she said, but the doctor said he didn't want her to take any meds for it cause she is so young(28) and just try to relax/ quit smoking. I find that weird though! especially with the second number being 89! thats almost moderate hypertension! I guess if the doctor isn't too concerned we shouldn't be either?

I work out and only smoke cigarettes when i drink ( i drink maybe once/twice a week and just beer) I'm 5'6" 160 pounds ( slightly overweight for my height, so it says on some charts, but they don't take into account how much muscle everyone has)

Now my new worry is high BP and rapid HR Damn you hypochondria!! LOL i can't win. Now i keep feeling my heart to see how fast it's beating.

Last edited by Lourage; 02-01-2008 at 12:49 PM.

Old 02-02-2008, 04:02 PM   #12
    Lourage
    Inactive
    (male)

Lourage HB User

Another update. I took it again in the midst of having a panic attack, i need to just stop using it cause it's making me feel even more anxious . BUT it scared the hell out of me and made my heart rate stay high for the rest of last night! It was 152/94 during "panic" state. WAY higher than even when at the doctors!

Old 02-04-2008, 01:20 PM   #13
    younggranny
    Veteran
    (female)

younggranny HB User

Lourage, your blood pressure sounds alot like mine..whenever i go to the doctors it goes real high, like 150/80 at home with nothing to be nervous about it is around 125/65...but i have noticed lately that my blood pressure has went up even though i am not nervous. It can be 135/70..I wonder if nervous people sooner or later end up on blood pressure medicine.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:59 PM   #14
    Lourage
    Inactive
    (male)

Lourage HB User

Well i need to just hide this machine, cause it's not helping! I been taking my BP so much the past few days. i am now at what feels like a constant state of rapid heart rate from being anxious over this and everytime i take it the last few times it's been on an average of 135/90. The highest so far was when i took it during a panic episode in my last post. This may sound stupid but the pulse = heart rate right? my pulse has been around the 75-80 area. Do i have any cause for concern? I keep thinking my heart is enlarged and really want to see about going to a cardiologist but would probably have to go see a doctor for a referall first, then he would probably tell me i don't need to see one and tell me to see a shrink instead :P still though, so many times in my past my heart rate felt so fast i thought i was going to drop dead from a heart attack. I just don't know how they would even be able to check my "reaL" reading since my heart rate/bp would be jacked laying on a table getting a bunch of tests done, especially if they had to do a ultrasound and could see my heart beating. I guess the first thing i really need to do is get my anxiety in check.

Still though, now i can't stop worrying about this. I just had a doctors appointment also but it actually higher now when i take it at home! It dips though and the lowest reading i got so far was around 126/74. So does this pretty much mean i don't have high BP if it does get lower? does having high BP mean it's constantly high and am i worrying over nothing and if my doctor had any concerns he would have brought it up? cause i'm guessing it takes a long time to develop any significant problems from having high BP? cause everything i have read says you should get your BP checked only once every two years?!?! i usually get palpitations also and sometimes pain in my heart but i'm pretty sure it's from my social anxiety, still scary though! I also get what feels like hot flashes ( got these as long as i could remember) the feeling of my face getting all hot and read, like when your embarrassed. I could only imagine what my BP is at during those times!

I wish i could just relax though about it, even if the numbers are due to my anxiety isn't that still wayyy too high for an active young male adult, anxiety or not? I also read up on the high/low blood pressure board on here and read about peoples reading and some were WAY higher than mine! Like in the 160/110 range. I'd feel like i was going to explode if mine was that high! Now i'm worried about my two hour weight lifting sessions and wonder if i should tone them down a bit cause i go all out

PS. Just took another reading lol. 120/75 Pulse=80. MUCH better than my last few readings, so i'm going to end it at that and hide this BP machine and not check anymore LOL.

Last edited by Lourage; 02-05-2008 at 02:35 PM.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:33 PM   #15
    younggranny
    Veteran
    (female)

younggranny HB User

it sounds like to me that you only have high readings because of anxiety....I have had times where my heart would just start to beat real fast for no reason. Like 135 beats per minute and it would stay that way for at least an hour. The first time it happen i ended up in the hospital with quite a few test being done, but they could find nothing wrong with my heart. I was on an antidepressant, pamelor, at the time and they came to the conclusion it was a side effect of that drug....I'm not on that drug anymore but i still have lots of heart palpatations..
    You are right your pulse is your heart rate and 75 -80 for your pulse sounds normal..Do you have health anxiety, are you very alert to anything that goes wrong with your body..
    My dad has high blood pressure and they told him to take his blood pressure no more than twice a day and keep track of it for a month and then go back and look at the average..If you have high blood pressure it will pretty much always be high...I hope this was helpful.

Closed Thread